Door Hardware (hard to find)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
Building a new door for the workshop and am trying to find some half decent looking hardware...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150378338099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I quite like this door handle and deadbolt system from the USA. I can't seem to find anything of similar style or look here in the UK am i just looking in the wrong places???

Does anyone know of where i can find something like this in the UK before i buy it from the US, thanks

took me a while to get through all the links on that page but again there is nothing that compares to the one i was looking at. It seems that all the door handles here have leavers or knobs and the deadbolts seem to be either chub style or the same style as the door handle guts.

The door handle i'm looking at is operated by pushing the thumb on the toggle and has a deadbolt that has a 7/8's shaft that extends almost two inches into the other door.

I wouldn't buy that without checking that it meets your insurer's requirements - security standards for locks are very tight over here, especially for commercial premises.

The idea of the thread is to find something suitable in this country not have you make snooty comments if you have nothing to add why bother?

You said you were going to purchase those if you couldn't find something over here - I am simply trying to save you a big pain in the wallet if you get robbed again in exchange for the tiny expense of a phone call to your insurer.

Why I'm bothering, I'm not so sure.

Steady on there :D

Jake does make a fair point and if you're wanting a more secure handle/lock for the shop then they tend to be less good looking, I think he's just looking after your best interests.

With regard to the handle you're after, the only thing I've seen like that is via reclamation or salvage yards and even then they often don't have the lock part. Have you tried Salvo Web to see what they might have?

There's a place called Andy Thornton's in Elland who could be worth a call, they have lots of old doors and door knobs

Insurance company will not cover anything in the shop. You have to get business insurance, which is over a thousand a year. Any security i put in is of my own doing for my own peace of mind.

So i'm wondering how someone is going to break into a door that is both bump and drill proof... Not to mention as soon as they get in the alarm will go off. And i would find it hard to believe that they would be able to do this under the security light which turns on right outside of our bedroom window.

The previous break ins were not through the door they were through the windows which have been boarded over and will soon be rendered. I can't think of any more security then that that has already been put in place.

That being said i don't see locks here any more secure then those of north america which also have insurers in those countries as well.

OK if you are uninsured then that isn't a consideration - could have just said that maybe instead of getting snarky.

No idea how UL and BS/EN standards in locks compare, what I meant was that insurers over here have very strict rules about what is acceptable to them (and that will be judged against BS/EN standards rather than UL ones).

Mid to high end ironmongery here tends either to be much more faithful repro (where you might find that kind of bronze finish, but not that in-betweeny look) or right over to the modernist side of things. That updated-trad look just isn't very European in my view, so I doubt you will find an equivalent here unless imported. I'm probably wrong, but I've never seen anything that looks like that, and I've spent a lot of time looking for ironmongery.

Anyway, given that is reduced to 1/3 of its original selling price, you may as well buy that one as its unlikely you'll find a better deal anywhere else even with the shipping.

I'm not paticurarly married to the design and wod like to buy in the uk but haven't been able to find anything of similar quality or functionality here so I was merely asking if anyone had seen something similar. Yale sells world wide so I found it difficult to understand that something similar couldn't be found locally.

As I've not installed many doors I just thought I was unaware of any quality suppliers. But it just seems to be a case of comparing apples and oranges.

crazylilting":3qndg48i said:
Insurance company will not cover anything in the shop. You have to get business insurance, which is over a thousand a year. .

you need to find a different house insurance company - mine (direct line) covers everything in the 'shop and even covers the kit up to £5k when being used away from home.

and incidentally as to how i'd broach a door where the lock is both bump and drill proof - I would probably wedge a hooley bar into the jam and lean on it until the lock or socket broke - you can break pretty much anything with a long enough bar

and as jake rightly pointed out if you lock wasnt up to the british insurers spec they then wouldnt pay regardless of the fact that even one that was up to spec could probasbly be broken in the same way

big soft moose":2n4q57mq said:
crazylilting":2n4q57mq said:
Insurance company will not cover anything in the shop. You have to get business insurance, which is over a thousand a year. .

you need to find a different house insurance company - mine (direct line) covers everything in the 'shop and even covers the kit up to £5k when being used away from home.

Not for business use though, presumably? Crazy is a pro.

Jake":wklhelwo said:
big soft moose":wklhelwo said:
crazylilting":wklhelwo said:

Not for business use though, presumably? Crazy is a pro.

no thats true - they say they are okay with me selling bits and bobs (craft fairs etc) but not if it was my primary source of income - but then my shop is in my garage in a resedential zone anyway so i couldnt (legally ) run a buiness and have buiness insurance anyway

If i were a pro wood worker i'd definitely have buisness insurance tho as a grand a year (which will be a tax deductable buiness expense anyway) is easily worth it to insure against being put out of business by having some scrote having my kit away on his toes.

I'd also note that if i was a pro woodworker I wouldnt be spending a hundred nicker on a fancy door knob for the shop - that was what made me eroneously conclude that it was for his own shop at home.

It is my shop at home. But seen as I've put about £4000 in time and material into the doorci don't want to put a £15 door handle on it. And it is across the drive facing the house door which will be of similar style door. So I was going to get two of them so they match.

hi guys

CL, last time i seen one of those locks , back in the early sixties , hope you find one, but don't hold your breath , might like to try a reclaim yard and seen if you can then get them refurbished somewhere . good luck .hc

The item can be found on Yale's website but only appears available in USA
Cant actually see what the security advantage is over say a Banham it looks like a combined nightlatch daylatch to me but it is pretty in it's way

Latest posts

Back