Domino...worth it or nae?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's that term that all the kids are using .... Sounds like Low Drainer ? :lol:

wizer":8f4p0jvq said:
What's that term that all the kids are using .... Sounds like Low Drainer ? :lol:
Tom - that makes the assumption that you've got half a drain which is working...sometimes mine don't :lol:
PM now though sent to Martin re my Norris panel plane...wheels in motion :) - Rob

It is overpriced (especially since the price increase) but if you can swap your Lamello and a Norris you never use for one then its a no-brainer IMO. I certainly haven't used my biscuit jointer since getting one, and I would struggle to think of anything the Lamello can do that the Domino can't, unless you are into the various niche lamello fittings such as the hinges & plastic biscuits.

Try Protrade for a deal if you want the box of dominos as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Hmmm, I have a bit of a problem with this issue of saving time. As an amateur time saved on a project is really not an worry for me, in fact, I like the challenge of finding a different solution. These days I often seek out the process that takes longer (honest) because it sometimes means using hand tools rather than a machine and discovering another way of doing things. Anyway as Paul says, you can buy a box of domino's and then cut the mortice. Also if you have taken on a job that required lots and lots of repetitive mortices, or you are in a pro shop, then the domino would be a sensible tool to have. However, I wonder how many on this forum really want to do things quick on what for most is a hobby. I guess if you have a day job and SWIMBO insists that your project must only take a few hours, then it perhaps would be the right choice, as long as you do not tell her the price. Also how many of us have gone into the shop and thought what could I make next, there must be something, is time then a real issue.
This comment has no bearing what so ever on those that love to collect tools, that is a quite different medical problem, which I also suffer from. Some may say, soon there will be no electrical power :shock: and we will be forced to work by hand in daylight only :)

I would say the question is how many tenons do you use and would you prefer to enjoy cutting the mortises and tenons or use an over-sized biscuit jointer?

As a hobbiest, I stick by my tag line, the enjoyment is alot about how I build things

newt":266uvpqv said:
I guess if you have a day job
Thats me :lol: - day job, 4-year old son and a very demanding old house. Getting anything done is a pleasure!

Thats one annoying thing about the Domino - its a real pleasure to use, but unless there are 1000 mortices in your project then its all over in an instant and you're back to the mundane stuff. One day I'll have time to do things in a more relaxed manner!

Cheers,
Neil

newt":38dybaa5 said:
Hmmm, I have a bit of a problem with this issue of saving time. As an amateur time saved on a project is really not an worry for me, in fact, I like the challenge of finding a different solution. These days I often seek out the process that takes longer (honest) because it sometimes means using hand tools rather than a machine and discovering another way of doing things. Anyway as Paul says, you can buy a box of domino's and then cut the mortice. Also if you have taken on a job that required lots and lots of repetitive mortices, or you are in a pro shop, then the domino would be a sensible tool to have. However, I wonder how many on this forum really want to do things quick on what for most is a hobby. I guess if you have a day job and SWIMBO insists that your project must only take a few hours, then it perhaps would be the right choice, as long as you do not tell her the price. Also how many of us have gone into the shop and thought what could I make next, there must be something, is time then a real issue.
This comment has no bearing what so ever on those that love to collect tools, that is a quite different medical problem, which I also suffer from. Some may say, soon there will be no electrical power :shock: and we will be forced to work by hand in daylight only :)
Pete - so is owning and using a Dom really about the time issue? Lot's of stuff that I build is smallish and would suit the requirements of a Dom very well (though a Dom will also be great for bigger stuff), like Tony's clock.
I made a shooter and long mitre shoot (your design) recently for Waka and made it using biscuits...which was OK but the size of the biscuits made the construction fiddly, domino's in that situation would have been far easier ( I know, I could have used screws, but I choose biscuits instead :) ) I also tend to work in 'slow time' when I do stuff, so for example, the door for the Elm Cabinet II might have taken me say, two or three hours (or longer) to do with conventional m/t joints, whereas with the Domino it could have been banged out in about a minute...leaving more time to do other stuff.
I 'spose at the end of the jour, it's horses for dooberies and where you see your priorities - Rob

I agree Rob, and I think there is a distinction between those who have plenty of spare time in which to do woodwork and those who do it in what spare time they have (which may only be a couple of hours per week - like me).

Those with a short supply of time will benefit immensely from the Domino - why spend several hours making some M&T's when you could knock them out in 10 minutes with the Domino and move on to something else?

Just my two penneth (and the justification i'm using for buyin one!).

Cheers

Karl

agreed, I don't have the time to lovingly shape a tenon so that it's a 'piston' fit. It's just one great big headache that I could do without when I only have sporadic time in the workshop. When I'm retired and built all the stuff we need, then I'll get onto the Maloof Rocker or the Krenov Cabinet.

I guess it also depends on what if any pleasure you get from hand cutting a mortice, if there are lots it could be a pain and boring. I have a mortiser which I used when I had a lot of repetition and it did a great job. I built a table recently where the only real option was to cut mortices by hand because of the shape of the piece. However if it is suggested that the domino can produce mortices to a quality and strength that cannot be achieved by other means then it is as they say, a no brainer. It is however an expensive power tool, but when did that put anyone off, that includes me.

wizer":2jjn0lzx said:
agreed, I don't have the time to lovingly shape a tenon so that it's a 'piston' fit. It's just one great big headache that I could do without when I only have sporadic time in the workshop. When I'm retired and built all the stuff we need, then I'll get onto the Maloof Rocker or the Krenov Cabinet.
So Tom is your pleasure then in the finished piece, and not in the manufacture. I know time can be a real problem when you have a day job and bringing up a family (we had 3) , but why is it a headache, why not take a bit longer. If you have to make something that is bespoke and it is essential then I agree time is an issue. But if it is something that you want rather than need then is time a major factor. I find this a really interesting thread, where do we derive our pleasure, or does it become a choir. Sorry its going off topic, it Robs fault for asking the question :)

I just don't really find any enjoyment in creating invisible joinery. If I can make a solid joint and the peace of mind that it will be secure, what's the point in taking time to make the joint? I do understand the concept of taking time and learning the skills. But, as you say, I take more pride out of a finished product than the time it took me to get there. I have turning if I want pleasure in the workshop. In that situation I'm not creating something we 'need', so if it all goes wrong I don't really care (aside from a few expletives :D ). The baby walker that I made my daughter was made with dovetailed joints on the Leigh Jig. I'm in no way ashamed of the fact I use a jig to make the joints. In fact each time I see it, I'm incredibly proud.

'One Day', I fully intend to tackle a Maloof Rocker and will take great enjoyment sculpted each part and joint.

newt":3c12fkog said:
or does it become a choir. Sorry its going off topic, it Robs fault for asking the question :)
Amen to that...in the rubbish again, as usual :lol: :lol: - Rob

I like buying tools, so I fully understand people wanting to buy stuff, even if they don't 'need' it. I also have a number of expensive tools that I don't use that often, but I still like to own them. If money was no object I might buy a Domino, but I'm not sure its at the top of my list.

Is a mortice and tenon really that much trouble in most circumstances? I don't think it is and I don't do that many so I enjoy the process when I do. I'm sure the Domino is great, but it seems like a lot of money in comparison to what other tools you could get with the £500.

Ed

Par Example:

After xmas I have a full bedroom set to make. Cabinet\Dresser, 2 Bedside tables, Bench, Bed and maybe even a wardrobe. Wifey doesn't understand 'the joy of woodwork', she just wants it done or we'll be down Ikea buying plastic rubbish. The fact that I have bought the wood very cheap means I can probably match Ikea's prices but with the satisfaction of having it to my design, to fit the space I want it to go in. Ok, so the domino pushes the price up. But we all know it's a quality tool from a quality manufacturer and will last me for a long time over lots of projects. I'm not saying I'll never cut a M&T joint. I just want the freedom to get the joinery done without putting too much thought into it. It's still woodworking. Design, Stock Prep, Curvey Stuff, Finishing, etc.

EdSutton":310aj2vw said:
a lot of money in comparison to what other tools you could get with the £500.

It's more like £7-800 all in, Ed

wizer":4vljpiu2 said:
EdSutton":4vljpiu2 said:
a lot of money in comparison to what other tools you could get with the £500.

It's more like £7-800 all in, Ed

Well that makes the point even more clearly then...£800 gets a lot of good stuff, not that the Domino doesn't count as good stuff, but it seems right to consider what else it would buy.

Ed

or just ignore all that stuff and get a domino :lol:

Not that I 'need' a Domino, but I don't really need anything else.

newt":2d77js11 said:
So Tom is your pleasure then in the finished piece, and not in the manufacture. I know time can be a real problem when you have a day job and bringing up a family (we had 3) , but why is it a headache, why not take a bit longer. If you have to make something that is bespoke and it is essential then I agree time is an issue. But if it is something that you want rather than need then is time a major factor. I find this a really interesting thread, where do we derive our pleasure, or does it become a choir. Sorry its going off topic, it Robs fault for asking the question :)

A bit of the "is it the journey or the destination?"

I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other - depends on the situation. We must all have pieces that we do labour over and it may well takes ages, but that's part of the process - as you said it's something that we want and may well not actually need. Sometimes it's good to do it the longer way, otherwise your skills don't get the oppurtunity to expand. Domino this, domino that - :wink:

But as Tom's pointed out there are usually other pieces (usually more in nbr) that we need and SWMBO and the mini-versions will force the issue if the item\s doesn't turn up on time (their definition of time unfortunately). :oops:

I too have numerous peices around the house that we actually need - and whilst some of them I would like to do perhaps slower and use techniques that I want to use - but my hand may well be forced to do them another way - because the "homies" are getting impatient. If something that takes a little bit longer - I don't think it's an issue. But a little bit means no more than a day longer in total.

I too would like a Domino - but will probably wait till I sell off some of my construction tools to free up some cash, and then maybe try one first. But then I have a similar obsession with cars\etc. - and my wish list of bits\tools ain't small there! :cry:

Back