Domino...worth it or nae?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ProShop":3hw3cdji said:
Try making a door with biscuits :D :D
True, but then it's down to how often you make a door, I suppose.

Interesting that you use the Mafell more than the Festool, though. What sort of work is that on?

Karl":18909umj said:
I've been doing a bit of digging, and it seems that offers on the Domino are few and far between.

There are two "offers" i've found.

1) The Domino, cross and trim fences and the Systainer box of domino's with five cutters - £750.

2) As above, but with the mini dust extractor - £900.

Both deals are good value when compare to buying the Domino alone, but I don't think I can bring myself to part with [at least] £750, especially when, as Ed points out, you start to think of the number of other tools you can buy for that kind of cash. A tennoning jig from Rutlands is only £80!

Anybody else found any decent offers?

Cheers

Karl
The cost with the Dom is clearly an issue, the reason being I suspect that the machine is patented, so when it expires I'd expect other manufacturers to jump on the bandwagon and give Festool a run for their money. It would be nice to see a Lamello version of the Dom (probably call it a 'Lomino' :) ) but it would probably be equally as pricey :cry: - Rob

woodbloke":2408txzw said:
The cost with the Dom is clearly an issue

I agree, Rob, and if I hadn't been very fortunate in being able to buy mine second-hand, I certainly wouldn't have one. I keep coming back to the thought that the actual cuts that the Domino does are no different to what you can do with a router. The advantage of the Domino is that it has a base plate and fence (much like a biscuit jointer) so that you can use it easily and fast without having to make up jigs. Maybe the answer is to get out the drawing board and design a few shop-made jigs in order to make the router easier to use for the sort of applications you would use a Domino for :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3udgwytv said:
woodbloke":3udgwytv said:

I agree, Rob, and if I hadn't been very fortunate in being able to buy mine second-hand, I certainly wouldn't have one. I keep coming back to the thought that the actual cuts that the Domino does are no different to what you can do with a router. The advantage of the Domino is that it has a base plate and fence (much like a biscuit jointer) so that you can use it easily and fast without having to make up jigs. Maybe the answer is to get out the drawing board and design a few shop-made jigs in order to make the router easier to use for the sort of applications you would use a Domino for :-k

Paul
One of the things that the Dom does well is to put a slot in the end of a narrow piece of wood (I think I saw a vid of it doing this on a piece that was 25mm wide, using one of the special fences) I've done this with router before now, but it's a convoluted process, so an adjustable 'shop made jig for this sort of application might be useful...where's Steve? - Rob

woodbloke":2r4zbjie said:
One of the things that the Dom does well is to put a slot in the end of a narrow piece of wood (I think I saw a vid of it doing this on a piece that was 25mm wide, using one of the special fences)

Yes, I've got that attachment as well :D It's really good - I'll show you when I come down.

Like you, I've done this with a router and just cobbled together a disposable jig but it does take a lot of time and faffing about. There are commercially-available jigs for routing mortices but they are quite expensive and rather limited, which makes me think it must be possible to design something better.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1oyejc5y said:
I keep coming back to the thought that the actual cuts that the Domino does are no different to what you can do with a router.

Paul - that is the conclusion i've come to. The Dom is much quicker, but the cost of that extra speed would buy some other decent tools in the meantime.

Cheers

Karl

wizer":3g531chm said:
Karl":3g531chm said:
some other decent tools in the meantime.

such as?

Well for the £900 that the full kit with extractor costs you could buy a reasonable bandsaw for instance, then you can cut your own tenons amongst other things.

Ed

wizer":26x3wfgr said:
Karl":26x3wfgr said:
some other decent tools in the meantime.

such as?

Well here's the alternative list I have so far:

Dewalt plunge saw + 1.5m guide rail - £300
Dewalt 2.6m guide rail - £70
Dewalt guide rail clamps - £36
Dewalt t-square - £23
Tennoning jig - £80
Dewalt 621 router - £140

Total - £649

Obviously not all these are for making M&T joints. But you could add the Trend M&T jig to all of the above (£180) and come in at less than the £900 cost of the full Domino package.

In fact i've got some of the DW gear on order with my local supplier at the moment.....

Cheers

Karl

I really like the domino and think its a great bit of kit. Its certainly worth it in a pro shop. It paid for itself after a couple of months and a couple of kitchen jobs and it completely replaces the biscuit jointer in my shop.

Can anything really be justified in a hobby shop. If you want one buy one is my advice

cheers

Jon

JonnyD":2bmvo9j9 said:
Can anything really be justified in a hobby shop. If you want one buy one is my advice

Well thats a good point, very few of the tools and machines I have are 'needed' as they're for hobby purposes. That said, you still want to feel as though you got the best use out of any money spent.

Ed

Karl":1shbvgwe said:
Dewalt plunge saw + 1.5m guide rail - £300
Dewalt 2.6m guide rail - £70
Dewalt guide rail clamps - £36

I noticed yesterday that D&M Tools have an offer of the plunge saw, 2 X 1.5m rails, connector and 2 clamps for £360.

Ed

Paul Chapman":387yi4o2 said:
woodbloke":387yi4o2 said:

Paul

I think you have made a good point Paul, and as I have said for me and I suspect others, time is not such a big issue.

I would love a Domino but as is the case with many members can't justify the cost for a hobbyist. If you want to use loose tenon joinery, I can recommend the Trend Beadlock system that I have used for the past 6 or 7 years with great effect. Obviously, having to drill out the mortises is time consuming but it's not to bad. The cost is about £40 for the dual 3/8" & 1/2" kit. Still like a Domino though. :(

Is this the world's longest ever piece of Man Maths ever seen to justify a purchase!

Rob - you either want it or you don't and you either need it or you don't. So sit yourself down with a good beer, have a ponder and then make your decision.

Me - nice tool and would speed some jobs up, but my yearly output is that low it really is an extravagance. Plus I like making joints

Lastly, Tom, an entire bedroom suite after Christmas, really, when is the end date? :ho2 2020 maybe :D

Latest posts

Back