Domino...worth it or nae?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironballs":1peh1ehk said:
Rob - you either want it or you don't and you either need it or you don't. So sit yourself down with a good beer, have a ponder and then make your decision.
Ooooooooh, do I, don't I?... :? :? :? :oops: decision has been made Damian, this morning - Rob

So after 6 pages you're not having one?!

My wife has pointed out to me that she knows as soon as I refer to a tool thats interests me, but which I say I don't need, its only a short matter of time until I buy one.

Just saying....

Ed

Dear lord..... :)

Ed I'm the same as you, once something is mentioned in passing Mrs IB then knows there will be a period of justification and man maths that will inevitably lead to the purchase. In some cases there will even be a pre-purchase "upgrade" if the man maths come out well

EdSutton":1v3zgdqu said:

My wife has pointed out to me that she knows as soon as I refer to a tool thats interests me, but which I say I don't need, its only a short matter of time until I buy one.

Just saying....

Ed

DITTO :lol: :lol: :lol: Just got myself an EQ1010 router kit last week, even though I run my own business I still mention it to the wife a few weeks before I buy something new I suppose it helps me justify an expensive purchase in my own head :lol: :D

C'mon then Chippy.

Spill on the router, what's it like?

It's my next potential purchase, toss between the yours and the OF 1400.

Is it a good inbetweener for a Trend T4 and T5 ?

Cheers

Jed

How disappointing to hear after all the input that Woodbloke's not going to buy the Dom, we'll see if he's changed his mind after the bash?

Rob,

I don`t quite follow your logic.

You buy a plane for an awful lot of money, ref point A.

You now use other planes to do the job it was bought for, ref point B.

You don`t use it at all, ref point C.

Going on your criteria for buying the Norris, the Domino is an essential purchase for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your woodworking whatever you decide to do :D

jedmc571":3rorce2s said:
C'mon then Chippy.

Spill on the router, what's it like?

It's my next potential purchase, toss between the yours and the OF 1400.

Is it a good inbetweener for a Trend T4 and T5 ?

Cheers

Jed

Its pretty good only used it Friday quickly to do some housings/dados in an mdf cupboard. I got it with the 800 rail thought it might come in handy with my TS55. It says it has no brake but it still stops spinning quiet fast. Its very good quality as usual with Festool.

One thing that does bug me is that you pay all that money and you still have to pay extra if you want the fine adjuster for the side fence and rail guide.

I got a free systainer 1 for storing router bits too about £50 worth :D

I already have a Dewalt 626 (the biggest one) and an old Elu96e but the Elu is getting on and the only replacement had to be a 1010. I tried the T5 had two and they were rubbish very poor quality.

Getting quiet a big systainer stack now :D :lol:

I assume yours is 110v ? the 240v version comes with braking.

Going to an open evening sometime at the end of the month, at my local tool supplier, I think I'll take the "PLUNGE" (Bad Pun) :oops:

Back to the Domino

Rob get it bought, you know it makes sense :lol:

Rob, there only trying to wind you up. It is just a status symbol to own a Dom :D

EdSutton":hkp6bga5 said:

Ed
So what's six pages got to do with it Ed? It's an interesting and thought provoking discussion that's raised a lot of issues. It doesn't mean that I (or anybody else) necessarily has to go and buy one just 'cos the topic's been aired on the forum. After weighing up all the pro's and cons, to my mind the cons outweighed the pros by a margin... for a hobbyist 'shop
If however, I was in the fortunate position of having a spare £800 knocking around that was burning the proverbial hole in't pocket and I had everything else that I needed, then the Dom would probably be a strong contender, but until that lucky day comes, there are other ways (that have been more than adequately discussed) of doing the same sort of work, albeit more slowly. But then as a hobbyist woodworker..what's time? - Rob

woodbloke":1teg4lmw said:
EdSutton":1teg4lmw said:

Ed
So what's six pages got to do with it Ed? It's an interesting and thought provoking discussion that's raised a lot of issues. It doesn't mean that I (or anybody else) necessarily has to go and buy one just 'cos the topic's been aired on the forum. After weighing up all the pro's and cons, to my mind the cons outweighed the pros by a margin... for a hobbyist 'shop
If however, I was in the fortunate position of having a spare £800 knocking around that was burning the proverbial hole in't pocket and I had everything else that I needed, then the Dom would probably be a strong contender, but until that lucky day comes, there are other ways (that have been more than adequately discussed) of doing the same sort of work, albeit more slowly. But then as a hobbyist woodworker..what's time? - Rob

Just a bit of banter, no need to be so touchy.

Ed

EdSutton":xhrokafg said:
Just a bit of banter, no need to be so touchy.

Ed

Appreciated Ed, but if my position wasn't made clear ('specially on something so nebulous as t'interweb) the the good natured banter could turn into something a bit nastier...if you follow my drift :wink: - Rob

Ooh, can we start the debate on whether you can have any sapwood in a piece of fine furniture :twisted:

Ironballs":87ffd122 said:
Ooh, can we start the debate on whether you can have any sapwood in a piece of fine furniture :twisted:

or whether it's acceptable to spell drawer as "draw" :lol: I reckon that'd get to another 7 pages....

What's the plan Rob - are you gonna keep hold of your tools anyway? I've decided against the Domino (although point blank refuse to rule it out of future purchases), but decided to sell my tools anyway and buy some other "essentials" for the 'shop and site use.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":kff9xwhm said:
What's the plan Rob - are you gonna keep hold of your tools anyway? I've decided against the Domino (although point blank refuse to rule it out of future purchases)
Cheers

Karl
Karl - pretty much the same position as you, I haven't ruled it out completely but count it as a luxury tool that I might get at some point in the future should a surfeit of funding become available...not that it's likely to happen in the near future - Rob

Rob, I came to the same decision as yourself a while ago. In the end I just couldn't justify spending that much money on the Dom. As you say time isn't really a problem in a hobbyist shop anyway and there are other ways.
Neil

I might be changing my view over the coming months, this years project I have planned for evening class calls for about a billion M&Ts

But then they do have a tenoning machine.......

Latest posts

Back