Domino extraction advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraemeD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently become the proud owner of a used Festool Domino, and am just in the process of getting to grips with it. One thing I'd like to sort out is dust extraction. I have a plumbed in vacuum extraction system, and so would like to use this rather than buy a dedicated Festool extractor. However, it seems the Festool hoses with the correct end connector are very expensive....for a hose! Just wondered what others had done in this regard, and what had worked well. What I don't want is something that spoils the experience of using the tool.....which is clearly engineered to a very high level.....with hoses popping off every five minutes. I already get that with my current setup on my Metabo orbital sander! But I also don't want to be ripped off for the world's most expensive length of pipe......

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers
Graeme

I would be interested in this too, as I presently use mine with an Axminster tapered adapter into my shop vac hose (non-Fessy), and it's not great TBH.

Si.

Before I had a festool vac I had an adaptor that came with some tool that was fitted to a standard vacuum hose that fitted on it nearly perfectly.

You can buy just the end of D26 hose and permantly fit that to your hose end. On the whole the D26 fits a lot of things, fits my router internally, and my ROS extrernally and my CS and of course all the other festool stuff.

http://www.brightontools.co.uk/Scripts/ ... roduct=690

Investing in a Festool hose does seem expensive but they are good if you don't like getting shocked from the hose, and the rotating ends really help especially with a tool like the domino where you go from working on a horizontal plane to a vertical plane and back an forth. Although its better economy to buy a whole vac and get a hose with it rather than buy the hose on its own!

Thanks for the feedback Chems.....that adapter sounds like it could do what I need. Do you happen to know what the "hose side" of the adapter looks like? How it might be fitted onto a standard hose of some kind?

I think you're right about getting a full Festool vac being better value for money than just a hose. My bank account has taken a battering so far with the Domino itself, but maybe in time that would be the way to go if I find I use it lots, though being workshop based, my plumbed in system I hope should be usable for now!

Cheers
Graeme

I think its just sort of caught in the flange, and then another piece comes over the top of that sort of like a garden hose. This the best shot I could find of it upclose:

DSC00023.jpg

Then the two pieces rotate, hopefully stopping the hose coiling. I think anywhich way you fancy getting it on there will do, tons of duct tape is probably best just as long as it avoids having to tape the hose to the domino itself, which is what I was doing before I got the festool vac. Before I got one I went through these stages:

Tape it on:
DSC00790-1.jpg

So annoying

Then I discovered that the RSDE hose was an exact fit for the domino:
DSC00912-1.jpg

Much better but it got in a huge twist all the time.

The major advantage to the festool hose over other ones was that before if you turned the vac on the hose would contract a little, and a fair few times I had my ROS sucked off onto the floor with a bang. I didn't care much as its an Axminster white, but it happened a few times with the domino where I turned the vac on and the domino toppled over heading for the floor, that I would have minded!

Many thanks for the pics and extra description Chems. Sounds like a good fit is only one part of the solution.....the rotation seems to be a big part of making it usable. When I hook up my ROS with a standard Axi stepped hose, it's a nightmare of restriction when in place, and then when it pops off, you're just thinking "I think I'll just use the cloth bag". When extraction is a pain to use, it's easy to not use it.....so it's important in my book to make it easy and convenient to use. That's why I put in a plumbed system using Axminster's 2.5" pipework and a big vacuum extractor. I now use it most times for the machines. It's just a case of getting that final link in place for the power tools!

Cheers
Graeme

GraemeD":1rgc30qa said:
Thanks for the feedback Chems.....that adapter sounds like it could do what I need. Do you happen to know what the "hose side" of the adapter looks like? How it might be fitted onto a standard hose of some kind?

Graeme
The Festool ends screw on to the ridges of the hose using the hose ridges, then that part has a locking ring which holds into the end piece.

This means that if you have a hose that has the same OD as the Festool one and the ridges spiral in the same direction then you have little problem
http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-how-to/fixing-a-separated-dust-hose-connector/

Shows in great detail how to fit the hose.

Another option is a different brand of 'hoover'.
I do have an old Festool extractor which I use with some tools - but I have an equally old Trend which does just as good a job. You can get a stepped rubber adaptor from Axi which means it will fit together
Regards
Mark

GraemeD":3klv72eh said:
Sounds like a good fit is only one part of the solution.....the rotation seems to be a big part of making it usable. When extraction is a pain to use, it's easy to not use it.....so it's important in my book to make it easy and convenient to use.

Its an expensive road once you get your first festool and see the effort they put into DE, like the sanders, routers and saws all make sure that the DE comes out at the same angle as the power cord, but once you start using them you'll wonder how you got by before!

Thanks Alex.....maybe a good low cost option to get me started before I start investing in more Festool?!

Do you know what the "hose side" of this adapter look like? Does it have to be used with an Earlex hose, or could it be adapted? I noticed the £3.51 includes postage, so it really is a bargain if it works!

Back