Domino advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard9999

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just come in from my workshop a little puzzled. I am making a frame up out of some 6x2 timber I have planed and thicknessed square and to consistent dimensions (not a picture frame, but think of a large chunky one and you will have what I am constructing i you mind's eye). I am butt jointing the pieces at the corners and have added dominos for alignment and strength. However, I am scratching my head a little about an alignment issue.

All the domino mortices were cut referencing off the the same reference face of the frame pieces. However, a dry fit has shown that in one of the corners the two pieces are not aligned in one plane. The 90 degree corner formed lines up fine, but the face of one piece is sitting slightly proud on the front of the frame, which was my reference face for using the domino.

As I have not used my domino much I am pretty sure the reason will come down to user error. I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar and / or can suggest possible reasons for the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Terry.

Terry
You do have to be meticulous in keeping the machine registered properly, and because it is a fairly hefty machine, that is something that you cannot take for granted.
6x2 is not skinny, but, if it is of any help, I'm quite pleased with this little setup:
new-jig-t92331-30.html
Steve

Was just going to say the same thing re registering. When you come to plunge the thing, you need to be really anal about keeping it square on both the horizontal and vertical faces. It's also surprisingly easy to lift it slightly when the plunge movement occurs. I've done it myself many times. That slight movement throws the symmetry of the mortice out and that shows up in the little lip between the two faces.

That is what I find annoying about the domino, if something is out of level I only have myself to blame!

At least it is easy to glue a domino in to the hole that is wrong, cut it off then plunge another hole in the right place.

Doug71":49dxuqnc said:
That is what I find annoying about the domino, if something is out of level I only have myself to blame!

At least it is easy to glue a domino in to the hole that is wrong, cut it off then plunge another hole in the right place.

You can do the same with biscuits, or so I have been told :-"

Pete

I find it useful to give the jointer a little shake vertically before plunging, you can feel if it is seated properly onto the corner of the workpiece. Then, as others have said, be very careful to maintain horizontal pressure when plungeing .

Chris

Hello,

How much proud does it sit? Could the 'Bumcheek' moulding sort out the discrepancy​? Can't believe i just typed that! Custard is a fan of that particular technique, see his life edge desk project to details.

Mike.

I'm starting to rely on hand cut M&T joints more than reaching for the Domino every time. It's a lovely bit of kit and great for production work, but given that I'm just making one-off pieces and time's not too much of an issue, I'd rather get the saw and chisels out. I can also adjust a traditional M&T a bit easier, don't have to faff about with complicated workholding jigs and it's a lot easier on the ears!

Was out in the workshop for less time than I would have liked, but did get back to my domino. Again, despite real concentration and attention to detail I still had a little variability in terms of alignment, better but not always perfect :oops: Mention of Custard has remineded me that, if I recall rightly, in one of his threads he spent a bit of time explaining his approach to using the domino and registration, worth me searching for that I think. Either that or I need to wander 'round to Mr Random Orbital and get a bit of tuition :wink:

Terry

Maybe in the future somebody will be having issues and come across this thread in a search, so...

If you have arrived at this thread because you have been having similar issues to the one I describe then buried in the following (excellent thread) is some good advice on using the Domino

leadwood-desk-t102286-15.html

Terry

Latest posts

Back