Dogs upset stomach.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can put my mind at rest.
I got home Saturday to find 3 damp patches on the carpet. My first thought was he's pee'd on the floor, but then realised he'd been sick. My jack Russell fannys around with his food. He usually has a bit of meat, and a few biscuits. He's never keen on the biscuits, so Saturday morning I gave him extra helpings of meat instead. Later on in the night he puked up some yellowy liquid again.
To be honest I thought nothing of it and fed him his normal biscuits and meat Sunday morning. 4-5 hours after and he started urging again- only watery stuff came up. My biggest worry was last night when he brought this up.
6c0997b1a29f364f87250c41c0ee532b.jpg

He'd chomped on a few carrots in the day,so I was unsure whether it was carrot juice or perhaps blood.
He's been completely fine today, running around, barking etc, I only fed him a small amount of food this morning. 12 hours later and he's just been urging outside. I couldn't get out in time to see if he'd brought anything up. Straight after he came in and started chucking his toys around and throwing his kong toy at me (it holds treats) expecting treats.
So I'm wondering if I should go to the vets with him tomorrow, or make him fast for a day and see if he still urges.
My gut feeling suggests it's a diet change that's caused it, just seems odd he'd be urging 12 hours after his food.

If possible try not to frighten me to death.He was a keen woodworker back in his younger days
848fce1f6a76e9f685ef653354f95e3a.jpg

e14e8705aac8149647e84fe728a74d33.jpg

Thanks

Coley

Catch 22, take him to the vets and it will be nothing., Don't take him and it will be something serious.

Recently I've heard a few horror stories about dogs eating poison in parks and a few minor ones with dogs eating gone off food left by well meaning idiots for the birds/foxes.

My dogs (Boxer and Westie) have thrown up fluid like that many times before. More yellow than orange. I don't think that's blood though.

I've normally just kept an eye on them, and look for anything else untoward. Have you noticed how it looks/consistency out the other end???

Something light in his stomach might help. We normally go with scrambled eggs, morning and night.

If it persisted after a day, and on a light diet, I'd definitely have him down the vets.

Sunday I said to myself, that if he was sick today, then I'd take him. He was licking his fluffy toy when he started urging tonight. Thanks guys for your thoughts, I'll ring them tomorrow to arrange an appointment.

Coley

It'll put your mind at rest, having him looked at.

It's always at the back of my mind too. Our Boxer has a sensitive stomach, and the slightest deviation from his diet can have consequences.

Grawschbags":r6nrwkj1 said:
It'll put your mind at rest, having him looked at.

It's always at the back of my mind too. Our Boxer has a sensitive stomach, and the slightest deviation from his diet can have consequences.
What are the symptoms if you don't mind me asking ?
I thought it would have been a treat just having meat, but guess his belly didn't agree !
A while ago I rushed him to the vet cause he kept scratching. Earlier in the day I'd took him to the forest and apparently he'd had a reaction to the pollen. On that visit he had spray and antihistamines. I later found out (after talking to other dog owners) that they quite often give their dog normal human antihistamines- my 60 quid vet ones must have been better though :lol:

Coley

Damn Did no1 else see the problem right in the pictures?
I see that chair in pictures is chewed up to bits,DON'T LET YOUR DOGS DO that guys the dried out timber flakes WILL tear apart their intestines, it's as bad as the tubular cooked chicken bones.

Have had quite an experience with dogs so a few questions,
-how old is he?
-how firm/soft is the poo-poo? any redish stuff in the poo-poo as well?
You said he's a woodworker- so has he been chewing up that chair recently or has he been chewing some dried offcuts/timber you have lying around? that stuff is nasty, don't let your dogs chew the kiln dried stuff it will tear their stomach apart, natural fresh sticks are fine..

The best medicine if you suspect that he has eaten something that might have stuck somewhere is black rye bread with butter ( rye bread can be bought at lidl, ask in store if you don't know how it looks..) , the rye bread will clump together the stuff that's at fault and the butter will help it guide it through... works every time. If this is the fault no doctor will be able to help you without a massive surgery, again how old is he? If hes young give him the rye bread with butter and he will heal in no time, if hes old monitor for any changes in case it doesnt heals as fast and it gets worse.

I do not know how competent are UK vets, but if they are as ''competent and helpful'' as human doctors you got some problem and might be better off trying to help him/figure what's wrong with him yourself!

Good luck, and best wishes to your doggy :)
Also rice will help a bit to calm the stomach down, but the rye bread/butter is the first thing to do.
Remember to feed him proper food (vegetables/meat) till he gets better not the junk kibbles.

ColeyS1":2ulg4qg2 said:
I thought it would have been a treat just having meat, but guess his belly didn't agree !
A while ago I rushed him to the vet cause he kept scratching. Earlier in the day I'd took him to the forest and apparently he'd had a reaction to the pollen. On that visit he had spray and antihistamines. I later found out (after talking to other dog owners) that they quite often give their dog normal human antihistamines- my 60 quid vet ones must have been better though :lol:

Coley

Projectile excrement out the rear end is a tell tale sign.... We learned the hard way!

The Boxer struggles with rich food. His stomach will gurgle like mad, he gets a watery mouth, and his stools sometimes have a mixture of blood/gelatine type mucus. He'll also vomit similar to your pictures. The vet isn't too concerned though as it's pretty infrequent. He was tested for colitis, but he was negative. Just sensitive!

Ha, yeah. Non-drowsy piriton is faaaar cheaper than what the vets supply. We buy 500 packs from an internet chemist. Seemingly horses get through that amount quite quickly... The 500 pack is about £15. We never use it all before the "use by" date.

The Boxer is also allergic to himself, well mites on his skin anyway. We keep it under control with meds from the vet, but when he has a flare-up, the piriton keep him comfortable. Again, this is infrequent.

He's a labour of love...

owsnap":1f0zhy9l said:
Damn Did no1 else see the problem right in the pictures?
I see that chair in pictures is chewed up to bits,DON'T LET YOUR DOGS DO that guys the dried out timber flakes WILL tear apart their intestines, it's as bad as the tubular cooked chicken bones.

Have had quite an experience with dogs so a few questions,
-how old is he?
-how firm/soft is the poo-poo? any redish stuff in the poo-poo as well?
You said he's a woodworker- so has he been chewing up that chair recently or has he been chewing some dried offcuts/timber you have lying around? that stuff is nasty, don't let your dogs chew the kiln dried stuff it will tear their stomach apart, natural fresh sticks are fine..

The best medicine if you suspect that he has eaten something that might have stuck somewhere is black rye bread with butter ( rye bread can be bought at lidl, ask in store if you don't know how it looks..) , the rye bread will clump together the stuff that's at fault and the butter will help it guide it through... works every time. If this is the fault no doctor will be able to help you without a massive surgery, again how old is he? If hes young give him the rye bread with butter and he will heal in no time, if hes old monitor for any changes in case it doesnt heals as fast and it gets worse.

I do not know how competent are UK vets, but if they are as ''competent and helpful'' as human doctors you got some problem and might be better off trying to help him/figure what's wrong with him yourself!

Good luck, and best wishes to your doggy :)
Also rice will help a bit to calm the stomach down, but the rye bread/butter is the first thing to do.
Remember to feed him proper food (vegetables/meat) till he gets better not the junk kibbles.
He's about 3 and a half years old.

Poohs are completely fine/normal.

He did woodworking when he was months old. Hasn't done it for years. It's just some old pics I found, when he lived with his previous owner (my mum)

Coley

Grawschbags":yw0orddm said:
ColeyS1":yw0orddm said:

Coley

Projectile excrement out the rear end is a tell tale sign.... We learned the hard way!

The Boxer struggles with rich food. His stomach will gurgle like mad, he gets a watery mouth, and his stools sometimes have a mixture of blood/gelatine type mucus. He'll also vomit similar to your pictures. The vet isn't too concerned though as it's pretty infrequent. He was tested for colitis, but he was negative. Just sensitive!

Ha, yeah. Non-drowsy piriton is faaaar cheaper than what the vets supply. We buy 500 packs from an internet chemist. Seemingly horses get through that amount quite quickly... The 500 pack is about £15. We never use it all before the "use by" date.

The Boxer is also allergic to himself, well mites on his skin anyway. We keep it under control with meds from the vet, but when he has a flare-up, the piriton keep him comfortable. Again, this is infrequent.

He's a labour of love...
I bet that came as quite a surprise when it first happened ! That's the thing with my dog. He never really been sick like this before, so it's a little alarming.
I'm looking at the 500 pot of piriton next to me. Before the vet visit, I was buying tesco own brand for myself. I suppose that's something good that came out of that trip- my own allergy tablets are now alot cheaper !

Coley

Sorted now thanks guys. Vet gave him an injection and some pills for his upset stomach
e093fc265b3ccd638561218a886af99c.jpg

She seemed to think it looked like blood that he'd brought up, but was nothing to worry about.
He pee'd on the floor on the way out :lol:

Coley

we give ours piriton start of november for 2 weeks
stops him fitting during fireworks

Steve

Appreciate the kind words chaps;) I'm so glad I took him. I'd have felt well bad if it'd been something more serious and I'd left it too late. Small price to pay for peace of mind I reckon.
He's watching the Simpsons now.

Coley

SteveF":mxwsuxks said:
we give ours piriton start of november for 2 weeks
stops him fitting during fireworks

Steve
That must have been terrifying seeing it happen for the first time ! I turned the t.v up a bit louder when the fireworks were banging. He was still anxious, but not too bad.

Coley

Back