The Dog House

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex deWolf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
My dog is threatening to leave home if he doesn't get somewhere more comfortable to live! I've been promising to build him something new for some time, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Being a hardy border collie he lives outside all year round and only comes in at night.

He needs a new insulated box approx 4 ft x 2.5 ft by 3ft high, with a removable pitched roof (for cleaning purposes). I thought of making this from treated fence boards but was put off after reading that some wood treatments are poisonous to animals??? - I doubt this, but the boards are around 20 x 95mm which might make it a bit heavy. I want to put the box on castors so as the opening is not facing into the prevailing wind.

Another thought was that I have a full 8x4 sheet of 12mm OSB. Measured carefully this would be big enough to make it all. The roof would be covered in felt and if the floor was raised off my concrete yard, would this be enough to stop water seeping in where the sheet has been cut? I've never use OSB for outdoor projects before, but you often see it used as hoardings and to block up windows on building sites etc.

Any thoughts on the choice of materials, or possibly some one may even have plans to share? Look forward to your replies 🙄

Cheers Stig, I've seen some of these designs on YouTube the last time that I resolved to do this. Some I would dismiss because of the cost of materials (sheets of 5/8" exterior grade plywood) But There are a few of them that tick most of my boxes. Thanks a lot. I'll wait and see what other suggestions I get and then make my mind up 👍

I've build a few kennels starting with fence panels, cut down, re pinned and corner posts added, also on castors.
Lasted very well and cheap.

Trouble is my wife would rather have me in them, with her and the 3 hairy beasts looking at me through the toasty living room windows.

I've build a few kennels starting with fence panels, cut down, re pinned and corner posts added, also on castors.
Lasted very well and cheap.

Trouble is my wife would rather have me in them, with her and the 3 hairy beasts looking at me through the toasty living room windows.
No issues with poisonous wood preservatives then? Regarding wives, it's just about accepting where you stand in the pecking order my friend. I came to terms with this a long time ago 😭😢🤣

No issues with poisonous wood preservatives then? Regarding wives, it's just about accepting where you stand in the pecking order my friend. I came to terms with this a long time ago 😭😢🤣
Me too!
Dogs pet name is buddy!!

Mine is mentionable!!!

Hi Everyone.
My dog is threatening to leave home if he doesn't get somewhere more comfortable to live! I've been promising to build him something new for some time, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Being a hardy border collie he lives outside all year round and only comes in at night.

He needs a new insulated box approx 4 ft x 2.5 ft by 3ft high, with a removable pitched roof (for cleaning purposes). I thought of making this from treated fence boards but was put off after reading that some wood treatments are poisonous to animals??? - I doubt this, but the boards are around 20 x 95mm which might make it a bit heavy. I want to put the box on castors so as the opening is not facing into the prevailing wind.

Another thought was that I have a full 8x4 sheet of 12mm OSB. Measured carefully this would be big enough to make it all. The roof would be covered in felt and if the floor was raised off my concrete yard, would this be enough to stop water seeping in where the sheet has been cut? I've never use OSB for outdoor projects before, but you often see it used as hoardings and to block up windows on building sites etc.

Any thoughts on the choice of materials, or possibly some one may even have plans to share? Look forward to your replies 🙄
How big can you get it out one one sheet?

I'vevtried to get your dimensions but couldn't!

I made a coal bin a couple of years back 32"cubed but it didn't have a back!🤔

How big can you get it out one one sheet?

I'vevtried to get your dimensions but couldn't!

I made a coal bin a couple of years back 32"cubed but it didn't have a back!🤔
Haven't even tried yet to see what id get out of an 8x4 sheet yet, but if I got the 4 sides and the roof, then I could use some pallet wood that I have to make the floor ☺️

Back