Dog Parvo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog&bodge

Established Member
Reaction score
My new puppy staff has Dog Parvo..kept him away from people and dogs
for days and was due his shots this Tuesday..Sods law it is now in the hand of the vet and gods id he makes it....Such a lovely well tempered puppy..
I'm mad as hell as I took all the precautions so how did he get it...??? :( :( :(

I've no idea... but I really hope he makes it. Staff's are "proper" dogs in my eyes. Never had one but a Staffie would be my choice if I ever got a dog again.

Well wishes and sorry I couldn't help

Sorry to hear that. It is serious, but not necessarily fatal. Make sure the dog has plenty of water as dehydration can kill them. Any idea how he got it?

Roy.

hog&bodge":1zznsmx1 said:
My new puppy staff has Dog Parvo..kept him away from people and dogs
for days and was due his shots this Tuesday..Sods law it is now in the hand of the vet and gods id he makes it....Such a lovely well tempered puppy..
I'm mad as hell as I took all the precautions so how did he get it...??? :( :( :(

My heart goes out to you HB, but as Digit said it is not necessarily the end.

There are various ways that he could have caught it Airborne, other people going to see the litter and carrying it in on their clothes.

Did the breeder get him his first shot (at around 8 weeks)?

Good luck mate

Mike

Thanks all he is in the vets on antibiotics and drips so it is about 40/50
with him being a small pup.
Another few week and he would have been insured as well..crushing
vet bills coming my way..But it is worth any price.

Have informed the breeder about the puppy but he was just offhand about it all so I contacted the R.S.P.C.A..just to be on the safe side for the sake
of the other 3 puppy's.
Well he has survived well over 24 hours
No Mike he did not get him his first shots so he failed there.
I is a long time till the morning...have read if they survive 3 days they
are in with a good fighting chance..so fingers crossed...
alex

I hate to say it but that sounds like one lousy breeder.

Roy.

Digit":mvibgbqz said:
I hate to say it but that sounds like one lousy breeder.

Roy.

Exactly, and the quicker we introduce laws that will curb breeders like him the better. Have you seen how bad some of these puppy farms treat their animals? One litter after another, not getting much of a break in between, and living in muck and flee invested compounds. Man's best friend you have to be f-ing joking :twisted: its an absolute travesty the way we treat them.
And dogs are just a start, if there is money to be made out of an animal, you will find the scum of the earth there making as much as they can and spending as least as possible.

Obviously most breeders are good and above board, but there are some out there that should never be allowed to own a dog let alone breed them.

A good breeder will have their pups vaccinated, and supply 6 weeks free insurance, wormed, de-fleaed and a puppy pack. The insurance does not cost them a penny as the companies give them out with the hope that the owner will carry on with the insurace when the six weeks are up.
And most of all a good breeder will vet all buyers

Sorry about the rant, but after seeing so many animals being mistreated it makes my blood boil.

Cheers

Mike

I'm seventy this year and in that time I have never been without a dog or two, also I have never purchased an animal, always I have taken them in rather than see them destroyed. And some pretty varied hounds have come my way.
Our current pair are an American Boxer puppy that was 24 hrs from being put down and was terrified of people, and a mongrel that bit anyone for the first three weeks that we had him.
They don't get like that without reason!
On the subject of puppy farms, our local council recently had a blitz on them and shut a number down and successfully prosecuted some through the RSPCA.

Roy.

Just got back from vets no change and we have decided on
another 24 hours...I think he has been through enough especially as there is
no change and his blood count is not coming up.
So it is back to the waiting game..am going to sit with him later on & if they
let me most of the night...lol

Get your dogs vaccinated this parvovirus is horrendous..Would
not wish it on my worst enemy.

NOt finished with the breeder, just getting through this then I will
take him on...He should have known.
Thanks all...
alx

No change is better than being worse, so fingers crossed.
I've seen farmers weep when a cow was put down, but some of these dog breeders seem totally indifferent.

Roy.

As a breeder of Labradoodles i can only add that if a good cleaning rota is done PV should not be a problem. Our pups are kept in the house, their pen is cleaned 3 times a day, washed out with Dettol.
When anyone is entering the puppy pen all outdoor shoes are removed.

As for the comment that a good breeder will have pup's jagged before they go home. This is not the case, most pup's go home at 7/8 weeks, most vets will not vacinate until 10/12 weeks. All the vet's have their own way of working, and it is best to go on the advice of the vet that will be looking after a pup when they are homed.

All free pet insurance cover is now only 4 weeks. This is gives the new owner plenty of time to shop around to find a deal.

Hod&bodge there is a good recovery rate from PV i hope your wee pup is well soon. There is no need for this to happen if care is taken with pup's.

shedhead":2kx97nib said:
As a breeder of Labradoodles i can only add that if a good cleaning rota is done PV should not be a problem. Our pups are kept in the house, their pen is cleaned 3 times a day, washed out with Dettol.
When anyone is entering the puppy pen all outdoor shoes are removed.

As for the comment that a good breeder will have pup's jagged before they go home. This is not the case, most pup's go home at 7/8 weeks, most vets will not vacinate until 10/12 weeks. All the vet's have their own way of working, and it is best to go on the advice of the vet that will be looking after a pup when they are homed.

All free pet insurance cover is now only 4 weeks. This is gives the new owner plenty of time to shop around to find a deal.

Hod&bodge there is a good recovery rate from PV i hope your wee pup is well soon. There is no need for this to happen if care is taken with pup's.

Sorry Dermot but I beg to differ, and I think you will find that the Kennel Club will agree that a puppy can have their first round of jabs at around 8 weeks and then another at 10 weeks. A lot of this depends on the vet you use, but IMHO all puppies should have their first injection (against hepatitis, parvo, distemper and leptospirosis) before they leave the breeder. We all know that for various reasons this does not always happen, but I would not touch a breeder that did not supply me with evidence of the first injection.
It is recommended that because the mothers antibodies are still circulating and so will render the injection ineffective, they should not have the first jab before 6 weeks, but at anytime after this it is ok.

Cheers

Mike

I am only stating what we have found, if we were to go to our vet and get them jabs at 8 weeks and the pup went home to get the second jab 2 weeks latter. Some and i do stress some vets might not work with the jab that my local vet had used. Also from vast experience vets have differing ideas at when a pup should get a jab as i stated some will not and refuse to give a jag to a pup till weeks 10/12. Most vets will not jab a pup at 6 weeks. As you know by then the pup will be with the new owners. The most important period for a pup learning is around 10/16 weeks. this is best done away from the mother.

I thought that the issue was about pup's getting PV with a breeder, this matter is only personal choice with individual breeders, a pup will not contact any infection if they are cared for properly as we do. Advice is given to all new owners what to do when they get the pup home. We vet all possible new owners, and are rejected if they do not come over as responsible people. It is not the first time we have had to refuse a pup to an inquiring member.

Anyway the Kennel Club will not recognize the Labradoodle breed. Also they are responsible for causing a lot of harm with certain breeds due to looking for the perfect shape, size head coat and so on. They have a lot to answer for.

shedhead":3qallymg said:
I am only stating what we have found, if we were to go to our vet and get them jabs at 8 weeks and the pup went home to get the second jab 2 weeks latter. Some and i do stress some vets might not work with the jab that my local vet had used. Also from vast experience vets have differing ideas at when a pup should get a jab as i stated some will not and refuse to give a jag to a pup till weeks 10/12. Most vets will not jab a pup at 6 weeks. As you know by then the pup will be with the new owners. The most important period for a pup learning is around 10/16 weeks. this is best done away from the mother.

I thought that the issue was about pup's getting PV with a breeder, this matter is only personal choice with individual breeders, a pup will not contact any infection if they are cared for properly as we do. Advice is given to all new owners what to do when they get the pup home. We vet all possible new owners, and are rejected if they do not come over as responsible people. It is not the first time we have had to refuse a pup to an inquiring member.

Anyway the Kennel Club will not recognize the Labradoodle breed. Also they are responsible for causing a lot of harm with certain breeds due to looking for the perfect shape, size head coat and so on. They have a lot to answer for.

I am sure that you do look after the pup's while they are in your care, and its good to see that you vet new owners. Also I did say that it all depends on the vet you use, its just been my experience that pups have had one jab before we get them.

I also agree that the kennel club are not perfect. Just look at the hassle with IMHO one of the best breeds the Jack Russell. First of all it took years for them to be recognized and then they had to be called the "Parson Russell" then they allowed the "Terrier Russell" and finally the Jack Russell.

Then there's the fact that some breeds have had various problems with breathing etc just to get a certain look. Madness really.

As for the Labradoodle I am sure if enough people push they will recognise them in the end.

Cheers

Mike

Dermot the labradoodle ,along with a number of other " hybrid" breeds are recognised by The Pedigree Pet Registration Club ,cheaper than the kennel club and a lot more efficient

I am sorry for not updating but my head has been in bits..
Happy to say he has beat all the odds...Vet is amazed he has
pulled through so far...He even barked for the first time yesterday &
wanted to play.
Just got back from Vets this morning and he said looks like he has
pulled through but keep an eye on him as he can go down very fast.
Have all the emergency numbers for over week end...
Will post few pics later..I have a good feeling he will be fine...
Thanks for all you well wishes...

RSPCA is on the case with the breeder but can not tell me anything
more than it is an on going..
Lets hope they put an end to his career as a cowboy breeder..
Well me and the pup is off for a well earned sleep...lol
alex

Back