Does Semforite (powdered UF resin) stick to itself?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatsy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Me and the "one square at a time" chess board again (my one and only woodworking project)...

I'm edging the individual squares with a double layer of smoked oak veneer using Semforite UF resin glue. The first layer is stuck and sanded to size (veneers contribute to the final dimensions), then two strong neodymium magnets are embedded flush with the surface in each edge. A second layer of smoked oak is added to prevent the magnets from directly contacting those on other squares because neodyms are very brittle and could crack if physically banged together at speed. Once air gets in past the plating they eventually corrode, then crumble, and cease to be magnets at all.

I inadvertently used some particularly open-grained oak for the first layer in the small batch I just completed. I figured it wouldn't matter as it's hidden by the second layer, but the glue that had squeezed through ended up accounting for >30% of the finished surface after sanding. More than expected.

I stuck the second layer on anyway (much less open grain) and it SEEMS to have stuck OK. But has it? Or do I now have a compromised and (much) weaker join? Given the amount of handling and "clacking" these blocks will get, it's a bit of a concern.

Thanks.

Back