Does being right or lft-handed determine which way round a room you go when painting ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You're going to paint room. Do you go clockwise or anti-clockwise ?

• Clockwise - I am right handed

• Clockwise - I am left handed

• Anti-clockwise - I am right handed

• Anti-clockwise - I am left handed

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m left handed and have never considered it. I think that being able to see the tip of the brush going into where I’m painting is most important. Painting to the right would therefore be easiest for seeing but to the left the smoothest way to pull the brush. When I was learning to write as a child in the 50s I had to use a dip pen with an ink well. I had to push the pen to the right which dug into the paper and smudged ink all over my fingers. Even in the 60s doing GCEs I was forced to use a fountain pen not a ballpoint and smudged my work.

I know a left handed carpenter who was always in demand on roofing work as he could cut the ends off laths etc on the left hand side of a house without falling off!

Phil

As the wife actually likes painting I don’t get a look in at the task at all and that’s the way it’s staying so stop rocking the boat damn you!

I wouldn't have said I have a direction but thinking about the last 4 rooms I've painted, I've done them all clockwise... interesting.
I'm left handed but thanks to trade school I use all my tools right handed (except a square, I suppose)

Ever wondered why screws etc. have a clockwise thread when driving them in/home? RH pholks find it easier to deal with them than if they were counter clockwise hand threads. Easier to rotate the right hand wrist clockwise that counter clockwise; and for LH it's the other way round. Since RH is predominant - for whatever reason(s) - screws etc. have evolved that way...; and the counter clockwise motion isn't as natural/easy for the RH when removing screws etc..

Lack of practice with the LH means that removing conventional screws isn't as natural/comfortable as it might be for those RH who might choose to use the LH at that time.

If you're solely RH then try using a screwdriver with your LH and see how much less comfortable and less easy it is than using your RH - due to lack of practice etc. - when driving screws in; and equally due to lack of practice removing them. You'll perhaps appreciate what LH have to deal with in a world where screws (amongst many things) are predominantly designed for RH?

If screws were counter clockwise motion when driving home the whole RH/LH scenario would be t'other way around.

Like many I was "encouraged' to develop as RH but in later life "discovered" that I'm more both - apart from writing (legibley due to lack of practice).

Regardless no reason one cannot develop dexterity with many tools (screw drivers not the least) with both RH and LH... Just takes practice...

Ever wondered why screws etc. have a clockwise thread when driving them in/home? RH pholks find it easier to deal with them than if they were counter clockwise hand threads. Easier to rotate the right hand wrist clockwise that counter clockwise; and for LH it's the other way round. Since RH is predominant - for whatever reason(s) - screws etc. have evolved that way...; and the counter clockwise motion isn't as natural/easy for the RH when removing screws etc..

I've heard this before but I'm not convinced it make any difference. I'm nominally right handed but tend to use a left handed style when screwdriving. The other explanation I've heard which strikes me as more credible is that it follows the shape of your hands - form your right hand in a "thumbs up" gesture. If the rotation is in the direction of your fingers the movement is as pointed by your thumb. Ditto your left hand and left handed screws.

I've heard this before but I'm not convinced it make any difference. I'm nominally right handed but tend to use a left handed style when screwdriving. The other explanation I've heard which strikes me as more credible is that it follows the shape of your hands - form your right hand in a "thumbs up" gesture. If the rotation is in the direction of your fingers the movement is as pointed by your thumb. Ditto your left hand and left handed screws.
It’s to do with the physics of your arms. More strength if right handed for screwing in.

Back