Does anyone know a good fix for administer pillar drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliGav

Established Member
Reaction score
About 12 months ago I brought a small pillar drill from axminister, but the depth gauge is basically rubbish! its attached to the guard and when U push down it changes depth each time with the plastic bending.

Is there an after market guard / depth stop you can buy? the only way I can think is removing the guard and using some thread with a couple of nuts?

Heligav,

I would remove the guard. Most people do as they get in the way. I wear impact resistant goggles instead ( pair by each machine) and I always wear a thick shirt.

Replacing the depth gauge with threaded rod is also probably a sound idea if the current one can not be attached more firmly. I have never used this machine so can't see it in my mind.

Good luck
Al

(homer) Imagine a lump of sh*te with a drill bit stuck init! One of those impulse buys im regretting! Pmsl

I recently picked up a Startrite Mercury bench for approximately £120.00. The machine is sound and also came with a Bison 13mm quick change chuck.

If it is anything like mine you will be considering an upgrade as soon as you start using it on a regular basis!

IMG_20140423_170851.jpg

Here it is sans guard, with a basic work table I threw together.

So far the things that irritate me are that It has no ratchet height adjustment for the table, the plastic guard is cheap and has already cracked because it is "badly" designed to stop the metal depth stop and the handles are rubbish with no knob to give you a decent grip.

I will attempt to replace the top of the broken guard with either a metal plate or thick wooden piece, which will give the depth guide something to butt up against. The better made machines have a metal plate fastened or clamped to the drill rod.

It is on my list of hundreds of things to do! Although eventually I may replace it with a floor standing pillar drill which will free up some work surface and give me larger capacity.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20140423_170851.jpg
    IMG_20140423_170851.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 96
Back