Does a Metal garage roof increase the temperature in the summer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was more that the membrane would cease to be waterproof once it had screws or nails driven through it and therefore be redundant...
Maybe. I think the condensation that could be created under the metal sheet would not cause the ply to get wet. I could have treated the ply. The roll of membrane I used was easier to lay down than treat the ply and it was not that expensive—about £40 a roll from ScrewFix.

You might consider a fibre glass roof; something like Cure It or other similar offerings. And there are rubberised systems too. Both “can” be a DIY project, but will need a second pair of hands (actually the whole fit ‘n able body).

Removing the old "asbestos" roof might be the biggest part of the cost. My understanding is that they are not a hazard unless/until you do anything with them. I don't think you can DIY it, the tip (aka recycling centre) won't take it.

So the total cost might not change much if you choose better materials. I see the shed is concrete block so should last a few decades more. Wouldn't be worth spending ££££ on a wooden one.

Noise? I stayed with friends in a nice interior pine clad chalet in the Mamores (Kinlochleven-ish) twixt Christmas and new year a long time ago, had a corrugated metal roof with lots of insulation. We had a week of gales, hail and heavy rain, even shouted conversations were difficult, as was sleep. Got lots of walking in though, much quieter outside than in and what else do you do if you wake up long before dawn. Well yes, that, but it doesn't fill the day.

Removing the old "asbestos" roof might be the biggest part of the cost. My understanding is that they are not a hazard unless/until you do anything with them. I don't think you can DIY it, the tip (aka recycling centre) won't take it.
Depends on your area. I removed mine and disposed of via the recycling centre. I had to get bags from the council and double bag it. You could only have a certain amount every six months and had to book in with the tip and take a permission form.

Obviously the more you move or break them the higher the chances of particles in the air but they will have sat there for X amount of years rubbing back and forth on the beams as the wind blows so probably been exposed to small amounts over the years anyway.

I think I read the cement/asbestos boards were only about 10-15% asbestos and white asbestos is less of a risk than some of the other types.

If you do it yourself you'll need a disposible overall with a hood and a P3 respirator that seals very well to your face. And a lot of duct tape to seal the bags.

As for using metal for the roof, there are a lot of products now that are metal bonded to celetex type insulation that you could use. The amount of heat it absorbs will be largely dependent on color. A white roof is obs going to be cooler than a matt black one.

I would leave the existing roof alone and over clad with a corrugated bitumen roofing of some kind, with the correct ridge and side piece's.

Hi guys,

I’m about to have a roofing quote (again) but is having a metal roof a good idea?

I want it to keep this pesky rain out but not create some sort of sauna room during the summer as I’m woodworking….

Thanks
About 12 years ago I visited Australia for the first time (Sydney area, NSW). I was surprised by how much corrugated iron roofing remained, These were dwellings not outbuildings, it just seemed an odd choice of building material for the sunniest and hottest continent in the world.

Thanks for your help everyone. I’m going to see what the quote comes to and make a decision.

Thanks again.

Please see the 2 posts I did about 15months ago

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/profiled-steel-for-workshop-roof-and-wall-cladding.135943/https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...rt-2-profiles-and-putting-it-together.136104/
I have worked in metal cladding for the last 30 years so these comments are based on practical experience.
Many of the negative comments on any kind of roof system are usually based on either the product being mis sold and not meeting expectations or the product being incorrectly installed and then not performing as it should

A single skin metal roof is generally not a good option for a workshop, primarily as it will suffer from condensation
Insulated metal roofing can proviide an extremely good option and as has been mentioned by some one one this thread is quite common in Australia and other countries
My preference for this would be a mineral wool insulated construction as it is much better at acoustics than a PIR based composite panel
Ian

Just to add, if you decide to remove the asbestos yourself:
Always absolutely soak it with water, first. Both sides.
thoroughly hose it down.
Mask and gloves etc.
Dust is the problem.
Aggravated as the sheets break up, and they will.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back