Do you make angle cuts often? I mean anything other than the common mitre cuts for skirting or tapers for table legs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if people find themselves making odd angle cuts often? I mean apart from the usual 45 degree for mitered boxes or skirting boards, or say tapered cuts for chair legs - do you find yourself making angled cuts much and if so for what? Whether on table saw, mitre saw, or bandsaw.

I have always had a general curiosity about this, hope you know what I mean!

Tapered table legs, band saw and hand plane
Fielded panels, table saw and hand plane
Various bevels and mitres usually by hand saw and plane
Skirting mitres and scribes with hand saws and coping saw
Never done a mitred box - usually tongue and groove or DT
The only interesting angled thing I've made was this totem pole thing, now painted white Vintage back saws - tooth pattern

These chairs I made recently are full of scribed angled cuts and the ones on the arms are compound angles. All were cut by hand.
IMG_1105.jpg

Many angles used in making segments for segmented turning blanks, also staves for tubular turning. Also compound angles for more complex stave bowls and multianglular segmented blanks.

Make mine on a home made wedgie sled for table saw and another forward saw.

Have a look here for wedgie/segment making

http://www.segmentedturning.com/table-saw-miter-sled-plans.htm

if you ever get into making stars for example a 5 pointed star, you will have to divide 360 degrees by 5 which is 72 degrees,

I do most angled cuts on the tablesaw and with a good sharp blade the cut face is fine for glueup. Things like mitered corners and uke and guitar necks. My mitersaw is only a cheap one and while fine for skirting and architraves does not have the precision for finer work. A few jigs and a well set up tablesaw cant be beaten.
P1010003.JPGP1010023.JPGdulcimer build 005.JPG
Regards
John

if you ever get into making stars for example a 5 pointed star, you will have to divide 360 degrees by 5 which is 72 degrees,
I'm currently batching some 5 pointed stars for the Christmas markets, and the only angle I use is 18 degrees which I made a quick and easy sled jig for the table saw to do.
Each star is made of 10 pieces. Too difficult to fully explain, but by joining 2 of the 10 pieces together then turning it around, putting it against the same 18 degree jig makes it offer up the second cut at 54 degrees which is perfect (and 18 + 54 = 72!)
This is the first one I made, totally unfinished and just dowelled together to test the accuracy of the jig.
sr=tar.JPG

I am a boatbuilder & am currently restoring a vintage launch, lots of angles cuts on an old wooden boat, a sliding bevel gauge is one of my most used tools.

Roughly 3 degree cuts on the table saw (with a jig) for wedges, 45 degree cuts on a 2440 length of rubber wood for French cleats using a tracksaw. My table saw cannot tilt so the tracksaw has cut around 40 ~ 80 metres of French cleat blanks.

Yes, all mine are home designed and built but I also build them commercially as my business is hifi speaker design and manufacture.

Nice, I’d love to do that but there’s not a big enough market here in Ireland

Just wondering if people find themselves making odd angle cuts often? I mean apart from the usual 45 degree for mitered boxes or skirting boards, or say tapered cuts for chair legs - do you find yourself making angled cuts much and if so for what? Whether on table saw, mitre saw, or bandsaw.

I have always had a general curiosity about this, hope you know what I mean!
Hello,
I am often cutting at an angle, roofing and a boat with no straight lines.
Regards

Back