Do you help me to understand??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No-one in their right minds would use a scrub. The narrow, deep curve of the blade makes it a no-no, no?

OK... I'm trying real hard to see through this one... maybe I'm too tired; maybe it's the blonde roots but it's just not getting there. My own use of the scrub cut my average board prep time by as much as 80% with no detriment to the final quality of the finished board... This qualifies me as certifiable....???????

The most obvious reason to wait is the SPECTACULARLY lower cost of thew Lee Valley.

I wonder if Karl Holtey would make a scrub... or perhaps Wayne Anderson would be cheaper!

L-N's current list price is $145 USD.... at current exchange rates that's around £76...

Now I know that there's import duty and VAT to add to that along with S&H.. but to my mind it works out as sweety money in comparrison with the £350-£450 for a half decent thicknesser...

in my neck o the woods... that's a no brainer...

Midnight":2kp7jw00 said:
No-one in their right minds would use a scrub. The narrow, deep curve of the blade makes it a no-no, no?
Shame on you Mike; bad editing for the quote. [-X What I said was:
Persons...use an adze to surface table tops and such. No-one in their right minds would use a scrub.
Meaning for the finished surface. Bet even you wouldn't claim you can get an acceptable finished surface with your scrub, although no doubt you'll try. :wink: Hmm, let's qualify that. You probably could, but you'd hardly be using it as a "scrub" any more, so it doesn't count. That's my decision - so there :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Bet even you wouldn't claim you can get an acceptable finished surface with your scrub, although no doubt you'll try.

Ahhh... You mean your Mr Thompson has foind a niche market for a hewn finish.?? Kewl... I guess the guy lives to sand afterwards huh..?? As for whether I'd wanna try it... I think I'll give it a miss..

Not that I'm snobby but, as I already have the right tools to create the finish I prefer, it seems not only dumb but lazy not to use them... I ummmm... think I'll stick with doing things properly...

Each to their own I guess...

Alf: Meaning for the finished surface

Boy do I miss a lot of the fun...

For the shop I built allong side our cabin in the big woods I used an adze to level the timbers for the beams following the broad axe that did the rough work.

For the bench tops the adze provided a surface that was comparable to a scrub for the initial flattening. I didn't have a scrub back then. But having used a scrub for the last several years I can testify that the adze was much faster.

Only difference now is the type of woods I work now. I can't imagine using the adze on Bubinga or Jatoba. But I do have some apple logs to prepare into planks. Maybe I'll do the work with the adze after splitting them apart.

I would have not given that adze a thought had it not been for reading this thread. And besides, it's been in the family for over a hundred years. It's time to dust it off.

Thanks!

Back