DIY Kitchen Extractor help needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm currently wracking my tiny brain on how to 'make' a kitchen extractor as we have a few issues that restrict our options. We have built a gable end kitchen extension and without ever having done it before overlooked the cooker hood... well to be fair we assumed the architect would have given a little thought to this! However this leaves us with quite a low ceiling where the it joins the walls... about 650mm above counter height. I have trawled the net looking for an extractor that vents to the back than the top but haven't found anything suitable, our hob is 900mm wide. (We can not go through the roof as it is slate and would require us to redo a large section to put it through) I am now looking at externally mounted fans to suck from the side but need to make something hood like to capture the rising steam.

Any thoughts to keep my already over active mind on the go!!!

Many thanks

Leo

You can get extractors that rise from a slot behind the cooker. Needs to be built in.

Almost all domestic extraction is fairly useless for serious cooking and all filtered extraction that does not vent outside is completely useless. Commercial extraction is highly efficient but the trade off is noise.

A wall mounted Xpelair unit will remove steam but does not look pretty.

Removing and flashing half a dozen slates should not be a big job or expensive.

Are you saying that the kitchen ceiling slopes down to the vertical wall 650mm above the worktop? If so you dont have enough room to fit any kind of extractor without fouling the pots and pans accessibility.

If an architect designed that, sue him. Unless that ceiling is of a non combustible material, there is a severe fire risk, and any insurance you have will be void in case of a fire.
Meantime, an expelair mounted in the nearest window should help out with fumes.

The distance to the ceiling is about 730mm so with the addition of the extractor it would be over (or under) the manufacturers limit. It is however over induction. We looked at downdraft but were advised that for the price they were pretty ineffectual. This aside we would have needed extra depth in the worktops to house this behind the 900mm hob. I've found some externally mounted extractors and I'm hoping to make some kind of hood so it will be externally vented but it's just pulling it all together into something that actually looks nice too. I've done many a google search but can't seem find any slim enough that measure 900mm.

Go to a sheet metal fabricator, get them to quote on making you a hood with a 4 inch outlet, put a fan in the wall and connect with ducting. Get the fabricator to make a shroud to cover the ducting run if you prefer it less commercial looking. It shouldn't be too expensive especially when compared with some designer extractors.
Alternatively buy an extractor hood you like the look of, remove the innards and connect to the fan in the wall as described above.
Remember extraction hoods are not actually required, they are just the norm these days.

Back