DIY Hottub of wood, made with FELDER® woodworking machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up watching it, I did start but got irritated for pretty much the same rational as you did.

a hot tub is on my bucket list of builds, it's not going to happen any time soon, but one day. :)

Watched a bit of it and lots to comment on.

Firstly as Felder owner don't presume because you can afford a nice machine you can also afford a large workshop. Suspect the land for a modest workshop would cost way in excess of a machine like that let alone all the building costs. I bought mine and was broke for years paying it back so a larger workshop was never an option.

Surprised Felder have not improved the Fence use with the planer. When fixed at the in-feed end there is a fair bit of deflection when pressing heavy boards against it near the cutter block. Secondly I prefer to have plenty of fence on the out-feed table as then you can be moving the wood from the out-feed side which seem intuitively safer but don't know what is taught these days.

After he had planed the larch for the floor it do not look very flat sitting in the stack which seems poor for an advert. The wood for the sides looked better.

When he was moulding the crosscut table appeared to be set level with the saw table. When I got mine Felder thought they were best set up 0.5mm so when crosscutting the wood did not get marked as it dragged over the fixed table. Might add that I set mine level as in the video.

Crosscutting they no longer appear to have any means to have a disposable support on the fence to avoid breakout.

Might watch a bit more later.

Beau":6wrlm9lo said:
Firstly as Felder owner don't presume because you can afford a nice machine you can also afford a large workshop. Suspect the land for a modest workshop would cost way in excess of a machine like that let alone all the building costs. I bought mine and was broke for years paying it back so a larger workshop was never an option.

I'm sure there are exceptions, like in your case, ....but in general? I still find that hard to believe. Having said that - they're still making them, so the call is obviously there.

transatlantic":2n0g6qhh said:
Boy oh boy!

Fantastic machine! but I question their target market? surely if you have enough money for something like that then you have a big enough shop to purchase single machines, which would be a lot more efficient?

I use a Felder Combination machine in an 80 square metre workshop. I could have squeezed in separates, but then would have been left with less free space for glue ups, components and timber, storage of part built projects, etc. So I made the decision that because I work on my own, can schedule my production, and would rather have the luxury of some free and uncluttered space, then I'd go the combi route. But I can understand if others have taken a different decision, that's their call.

It's interesting that makers like Robert Ingham have chosen to use a Felder Combi, I suspect the key to satisfaction really is being in control of work scheduling. If you can establish and follow a plan then you tend to get on well with combis. If you prefer to play things a bit looser, or your work arrives more randomly and can't be anticipated, then you'll keep slamming up against the inherent shortcomings of combis.

One thing I would emphasise, a combi would be a terrible choice in a shared workshop.

I agree with Beau that ideally the Felder planer fence would be a bit longer (that's a shortcoming on pretty much all combis), however I don't have a deflection problem.

Kind of related but how much do hot tub builds typically cost? My mum wants to add one to her glamping site after I *foolishly* made a passing comment about them, inspired by this (it's a good watch btw). She's looking at buying one but they're £1k upwards. I think I could build her one but it looks like a big job...

Sorry for the hijack OP!

Beau":3odhzvg0 said:
Crosscutting they no longer appear to have any means to have a disposable support on the fence to avoid breakout.

Mine came with the really long fence for use with the outrigger table however, I purchased a shorter fence which can be attached in under a minute.

This is the setup I use;-

1, as suggested for preventing breakout

2, so I know exactly where the cut is relative to the fence

All you need is an allen key handy to either create a new edge relative to the blade or to reposition the auxiliary fence if it happens to coincide with the length stop

I probably use this fence for 90% of what I do whether the outrigger is attached or not

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed that.
That adjustable height rolling work support looks like a useful bit of kit.

The Felder videos are always good for entertainment. They have a kind of life style feel to them. The bandsaw chair video is nice too.

Get your point here, but there are hobbyists that sometimes splash out. Marius Hornberger bought a Hamer (Felder) K3 for use in a basement workshop that is no bigger than a UK single garage, for example. That model can have a shaper added to it, to make it into a semi kind of combo.

El Barto":2qmvlsov said:
Kind of related but how much do hot tub builds typically cost? My mum wants to add one to her glamping site after I *foolishly* made a passing comment about them, inspired by this (it's a good watch btw). She's looking at buying one but they're £1k upwards. I think I could build her one but it looks like a big job...

Sorry for the hijack OP!

I bought sawn air dried doug fir at £25/cuft and £200 got me four 10"x2" x 4m boards. At the start of the vid he looks to have about 20 similar sized boards. Be amazed if you got change out of £1000 for the timber alone, without the heater. That larch he was using looked amazing quality so would likely be even more money if you wanted the same quality.

F.

I saw it and bought the cutters for my router table. Trend sold the ones for the size required and had hem reduced from £60 odd to £16. Going to build a prototype from mdf first to work out sizing time etc and then take it from there. Obviously I know being mdf I can't use it but wanted to keep prototype costs down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back