Anyone familiar with the Hager copy device LP320-F

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco Flier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a toolmaker (side business) and I'm making mostly edge tools like chisels and knives. The last few years I have spent investing in an nice setup for the metalworking part, and now it's time to do the same for the woodworking side of the toolmaking, mainly the handles. So far, I have turned them all by hand but some kind of automation would be very helpfull. Full on CNC is a bridge too far, for now too expensive, too much to figure out and the batches ar not big enough (yet).

So I have been looking into copying devices, but unfortunately a lot of them are the flimsy Chinese stuff that don't really work well. Then I found a German maker, Hager, and they sell a way more sturdy looking device: LINK and A video

Is anyone familiar with this device? To me, it looks way more reliable and actually 'workable' compare to the Chinese devices I have seen on the internet.

Or maybe people have other ideas or recommendations?
Website of my toolmaking business

Sorry can’t help on the copy lathe front have you thought about making you own tooling for the handles (I’m sure you have!) rather than hand turning just a suggestion

Nice website and tools BTW

I once saw a video clip of Karl Holtey turning some knobs for his classic planes, in something exotic like cocobolo. He had a really simple copying device that he no doubt made himself, If I remember correctly it ran off a flat bed fixed on top of his lathe The tooling was fixed at the correct height in a block that slid easily around the table, The profile to be copied was formed of sheet metal ( possibly brass), and a pointer at the base if the block ran against this, No complicated X-Y axis to control as the block was hand held.
There was a link on this site a month or so ago to a similar device for a Myford lathe made by an Australian guy. His was much more complicated and was for turning metal. I believe there was an agent in this country selling his system, which if my memory serves me correctly , was fairly reasonably priced.

Those handles seem really straightforward tbh. I would not vary your design and after a few hundred you won't need to measure. Upskill don't upgrade. Alternatively find someone who does copy turning.

Those handles seem really straightforward tbh. I would not vary your design and after a few hundred you won't need to measure. Upskill don't upgrade. Alternatively find someone who does copy turning.
Thats a fair point, and I am indeed still considering that. However, I am also working on making different handle styles. I still think it will save me time if I find a way to copy the handles.

It looks like an interesting machine but it looked like the finish off the tool wasn't as good as a hand turned piece but you could use the copy turner to almost turn the shape and then finish with some hand tool cuts.

Back