Distressing leather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of distressing leather?

I have a renovation job on at the moment that I have to replace the leather on and its going to look very odd.

Any idea

Thank you :)

I'm sure there are different ways of doing it, but I've used rubbing alcohol, sandpaper, and a wire brush. The first thing I do is rumple the leather to get creases into the piece. Imagine crumpling a piece of paper and do that with the leather.

Then use the sandpaper but be cautious because you can't fix any damage the sandpaper might cause if you rub to vigorously. Rub some places more than others so it's not uniform.

I have used a heavily bristled brush to put some wear into the leather. And then I take it to a field with a lot of dry dirt and kick it around.

These are the methods I've used a couple of times and I've been really happy with the result. But I am by no means a professional so it might not result in the look you want. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your help. Since asking the question I have read similar to your recommendations. This is a job I have to get done first next week. Will be interesting.

The hide I have found is fortunately pre distressed... to a point. Its going on a chest I am restoring for a client. It dates from 1742 (hand written inside) Its a lovely thing.

Back