Disappointing experience with Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_hanna

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a JET Wetstone carving tool jig from Axminster on 31 March 2014.
At that time the web site described the item as
"Temporarily out of stock"

I waited a month then queried Axminster customer service about a delivery date on 30 April 2014 and was told

“This item is not due into stock until the beginning of June, as soon as we receive it back in stock we will dispatch it out to you. In the meantime, this item will remain on back order unless otherwise advised.”

It was a bit annoying that at that time I could have ordered it for pick-up at some of the shops, clearly there was stock in the shops but not in the warehouse. Delivery after another month (two months in total) outweighed the hassle of cancelling and ordering elsewhere. Over the next month the web-site counted down “Temporarily out of stock, available for dispatch within 3 weeks” etc.

Then today (4 June 2014) the website is back to "Temporarily out of stock" with no expected available date.

An email to customer services brought the response
“I am very sorry but the supply date for this has been pushed back until the end of July. I have spoken to our procurement team and they have advised that there is a supplier issue with this product hence the delay.”

That would have been four months. ( I intend to cancel the order and will buy elsewhere)

The consensus on this forum is usually that Axminster offers excellent service and Rutlands are to be avoided, particularly for currently out-of-stock items. On my recent experience I wouldn’t agree with this, anyone ordering from Axminster in the past month where the web site was showing an expected in-stock date at the end of the month would have been disappointed.

Jim

it may be worth asking if there is any branch stock- they do sometimes recall it to the central warehouse, and send it out, but probably not by default.

marcros":2t4exgdt said:
it may be worth asking if there is any branch stock- they do sometimes recall it to the central warehouse, and send it out, but probably not by default.

I'm sure I read that too.
I'm sure it was a member on here that got them to deliver from the shop that had the item in stock.

I personally have had nothing but excellent service from both Axminster and Rutlands.

Noel":3siyzcdj said:
Jim, do a search on Triton TWSCTJ. That's the Triton version and looks identical.

Many thanks Noel for the pointer to Triton on ebay. I did know that jigs for the JET, Record, Scheppach, Dakota and Tormek(expensive) wet stone sharpeners are largely interchangeable but I’d never heard of the Triton one. As you say it looks identical.

Ordered the Triton on Thursday morning from an ebay supplier, paid an extra £ 1.69 for Royal Mail 1st class and got it today on Friday. That’s a few things I’ve ordered from ebay now (from various shops trading on ebay and selling new stock, I haven’t risked buying used stuff from a private seller as yet). My experience with the ebay shops has been good to date, low prices, items exactly as described and very prompt delivery.
In future I’ll certainly be browsing the ebay listings before making any purchase instead of just browsing through the paper catalogues.

Noel":3siyzcdj said:
Hi Jim, always had a rule about ordering- out of stock = go elsewhere or make do.

Good advice. I’ll not be placing any orders in future unless the goods are in stock. My previous experience with Axminster with out of stock items was a wait of no more than a few weeks, I never expected that items from a mainstream manufacturer like JET could have a four month wait.
Thanks again
Jim

In fairness to Axi, if the problem lies with their supplier, then they are probably only passing on in good faith the information that they themselves have been told. It is of no benefit to them to string anyone along deliberately.
Frustrating for all concerned, I'd say.
S

jim_hanna":3s5x5059 said:
Noel":3s5x5059 said:
Jim, do a search on Triton TWSCTJ. That's the Triton version and looks identical.

Many thanks Noel for the pointer to Triton on ebay. I did know that jigs for the JET, Record, Scheppach, Dakota and Tormek(expensive) wet stone sharpeners are largely interchangeable but I’d never heard of the Triton one. As you say it looks identical.

Ordered the Triton on Thursday morning from an ebay supplier, paid an extra £ 1.69 for Royal Mail 1st class and got it today on Friday. That’s a few things I’ve ordered from ebay now (from various shops trading on ebay and selling new stock, I haven’t risked buying used stuff from a private seller as yet). My experience with the ebay shops has been good to date, low prices, items exactly as described and very prompt delivery.
In future I’ll certainly be browsing the ebay listings before making any purchase instead of just browsing through the paper catalogues.

Noel":3s5x5059 said:
Hi Jim, always had a rule about ordering- out of stock = go elsewhere or make do.

Good advice. I’ll not be placing any orders in future unless the goods are in stock. My previous experience with Axminster with out of stock items was a wait of no more than a few weeks, I never expected that items from a mainstream manufacturer like JET could have a four month wait.
Thanks again
Jim

Glad you got sorted Jim. After I posted I checked with McBride's up in Mallusk. I knew they were trying to get rid of some old Scheppach stock some months ago. Unfortunately most of it was gone along with 2 of the jigs you were after.

Certainly Steve has a point, it's likely a supplier issue and/or a shipping issue. Often for small items they have to wait for other orders/items so that a full container can be shipped and of course shipping itself can take a long time. Having said that, sitting and twiddling your thumbs waiting isn't much fun. Much better to go and find another supplier (before the notion passes, can't have that..: ) )

Agree with you about eBay shops, had good experience and with such a wide selection there's little you cannot find.

Axi are great, you are buying more than just the machine. If there is a problem, they are normally great at sorting it out. It might cost a couple of squids more than eBay, but you just need one problem with an expensive item for you to be pocket.

I had a problem with a couple of things, Axi could not have been more helpful. For me, their worth every penny.

There is only so much stock any retailer can hold, and then it's down to the supplier. At peak times the supplier can't keep up. I try to buy my tools in the woodworking off season when deals are around.

PS if I've found a tool or machine on the internet (not eBay) cheaper than Axi are selling it for, give them a call and they will normally price match in my experience.

Hi Rod,

The retailers seem to have a poor season after Xmas and during the school summer holidays. This generally coincides with their sales / offers and discounts to boost business. This is what i was implying with the off season. The peak 'season according to the Record power reps is September through to mis December. I understand that this is when the hobby chaps return to their sheds!

I've bought quite a lot of stuff from Axminster and have had no problems with them at all, with only the occasional item out of stock. My closest store is High Wycombe where I call fairly regularly and have found them extremely helpful, polite and very knowledgeable on their products.

John

I think a lot of times it just comes down to who is dealing with your query these days.
I was brought up to be polite but judging from the response I get from almost everywhere these days it doesn't look like it is high on most parents agenda :roll:

If the seller's sales team cannot even be bothered to be polite and helpful to customers then it says a lot about the Company's Customer Service Policy and staff training.

How hard is it to post a reminder message into your PC daily Calendar to remind you to check on stock, late deliveries and back orders and email an update to customers in a weeks time ?

Back