Different ways to attach chest bottoms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biliphuster

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to start making a storage trunk and my first instinct would be to float the bottom in a groove ploughed round the base, possibly thin the bottom edges and fit it in a narrower groove or just plough a groove the full width of the bottom.

Are there other ways? Off the top off my head I can see attaching cleats around the lower opening and letting the boards sit on that, or maybe making giant drawer slips to house the base. It seems like avoiding the groove lower walls may make the base a bit stronger but I have never seen these other methods used and was wondering if there is an obvious reason why.

Does anyone know any other good ways for attaching the bottom boards of a chest? At least part of my search for another method is motivated by the fact I don't have wide enough plough plane irons to make a groove and would like to avoid the ploughing of multiple grooves.

An old fashioned way would be to nail them in a rebate.
Personally, I'd go for glued plywood in a groove.
Unless, of course, you're aiming for historically accurate, reproduction work.

Weakest option is thinned edge into a slot. Both the boards and the sides are weakened where they least need it.
Slightly stronger is to not thin the edge.
Strongest option would be your cleats with boards sitting on top.
Space saving and strong option is to screw boards direct to the bottom edge but perhaps having them project so that the screws aren't too near the edge.
Then there's battens down the sides and under the base.
Endless possibilities!

The chests I have made have the bottom just nailed on (no glue) without a rebate, what I then do is cover the join with a lower skirt. This means if I ever need to replace the bottom for whatever reason I can. Of course this depends on the type of chest you are making, I'm referring to tool chests where the bottom is quite likely to get damaged, but I have used the same method for blanket boxes and other chests in the house. Its a lot stronger than you would think.

You can see it here
anarchists_tool_chest_interior.jpg

Matt

Attachments

• anarchists_tool_chest_interior.jpg
    anarchists_tool_chest_interior.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 114
What is the chest for? If strength not appearance is most important then fix the base the the vertical boards with screws, if appearance is important do the same but cover the ply edges with a run of skirting or architrave or similar depending on proportions.

Not a great photo but did this for daughter out of reclaimed timber, the ply base was screwed to the vertical boards, the whole thing is immensely strong.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 73
A crude way is to screw battens around the inside flush to the bottom, then drop the bottom panel down onto them -as per one of your options.

Fitting the bottom into a groove would mean assembly would have to include the bottom at the same time.

If there's no skirt, then cleats inside the frame / sides for the bottom to sit on.
If there is a skirt, nail / screw the bottom and cover the edges with the skirt, as per Undergroundhunter's suggestion.

Back