Diesel question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all those car people.

On starting from cold my diesel mis-fires for about 5-8 seconds, (emitting typical diesel blue smoke) then quickly runs cleanly on all 4.

Apart from the above first starting problem, there is then no further mis-firing under any circumstances and no smoke either.

Would this be the "heater" failing on one or more cyclinders? or is it injectors? or what - any ideas please?

Thanks

Dave

depends how old they are.... measure resistance through the terminals of the glowplugs (take the power leads off), or make a test lamp and run 12 volts through the glowplug via an indicator bulb, if one's failing the rest won't be far behind, i tend to change mine every 12,000 miles or so anyway

jim

Yes it sounds like a heater plug out a friend had the same problem and we tested them as Jim says above and found one that had a bad connection sorted that out and it was OK.

As Jim said if one has failed the others will probably join it soon.

john

Thanks all for your confirmation. The car has done about 80,000 miles and I have not changed the gloplugs since I bought it at about 45,000 miles :wink: - so I will test and change as necessary :lol: :lol:

PS - its a camper van conversion on a Clio :shock: :shock:

Dave

DW - not during my tenure.

The symptoms reported above have only been since the last couple of weeks. Pretty sure its the glow plugs.

Dave

Sportique":2nr8bekz said:
Thanks all for your confirmation. The car has done about 80,000 miles and I have not changed the gloplugs since I bought it at about 45,000 miles :wink: - so I will test and change as necessary :lol: :lol:

PS - its a camper van conversion on a Clio :shock: :shock:

Dave

Any chance of a photo? A camper off a Clio!!!!!!!!!!

To me it sounds like heater plugs too, but on something like a Clio I would only expect that when it gets fairly cold? Still worth checking though.

dsc00033yu9.jpg

google finds this - hmmm compact an bijou :lol:

Hey BSM - that is the very car !!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The photo was taken (by unknown) in Morrison's car park at St Andrews Fife.

Designed as 4-berth! it has an elevating roof, a shower!, two-burner gas cooker, wash-basin, dining table and mains electric hook-up.

The only change to the original Clio is the hatchback door has been replaced with the fibre-glass "add-on" unit, otherwise original Clio. Built on new cars in 1995/6 the designer chose the Clio because its original pay-load capability was ample. I believe the designer is the same man that made the "Mini-moke" conversion.

Dave

Sportique":2e42cntg said:
Hey BSM - that is the very car !!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

thats spooky - i'm not stalking you honest :lol:

I just googled "clio camper" and found a motor forum with a bunch of posters taking the water out of that photo - I guess there arent very many clio campers arround

BSM - I believe you :wink:

The camper will carry lots of pineapples :oops:

At one time it was photographed at Knockhill BTCC race and put on the SEAT web site - with lots of pineapple remarks - becoming quite infamous :!:

Its great fun - always a starts up conversations on camping sites and you should see the reactions from other motorists on the motorway :) :lol: :lol:

(It will also carry 2.4m lengths with ease :roll: )

Dave

Sportique":2u5mftke said:
Hi all those car people.

On starting from cold my diesel mis-fires for about 5-8 seconds, (emitting typical diesel blue smoke) then quickly runs cleanly on all 4.

Apart from the above first starting problem, there is then no further mis-firing under any circumstances and no smoke either.

Would this be the "heater" failing on one or more cyclinders? or is it injectors? or what - any ideas please?

Thanks

Dave

Yeah, pre heater issues. I had a Peugeot diesel that was getting "tricky" to start - it turned out to have only ONE working heater plug. It was pretty much starting on one cylinder, which then started the other three!

BugBear

Back