Did anyone watch Evans's "Top Gear?"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did. Watch it, that is.
I'm still annoyed at JC for screwing up one of the few things I watch. The show isn't about motoring, is it, it is, as one journalist described it, a sit-com about cars.
I've never liked CE, so I was not best pleased when I heard he had got the job, and I think my fears were justified. He just shouts all the time. Why? And much as I like MLB, I thought he was very much playing second fiddle.
So OK, the show was still the same format, but it lacked the sparkle of the Terrible Trio.If it goes up from here, then good, but if that was a grand re-launch and it settles down to more same-old-same-old, then I shall be even more mad at Clarkson than I was before.

And what that Extra Gear all about then, eh?

At the moment it's a poor copy, with Evans (for some bizarre reason) trying to impersonate Clarkson.

Hopefully, they'll develop their own show over time.

BugBear

I don't get why they are trying to get the u.k to compete against America so much. I think if they wanna be competetive it should be becauae thats who they are not from which country.
Some bits I liked, some seemed like they were forced. Who's to say what the first episode was like with the old three though. I think they need to go on a two week bender together so they form a bit of chemistry.

Coley

It all may yet work out; the Clarkson/May/Hammond thing had become appallingly formulaic and over-scripted, with fake personas every bit as rigid and parameterised as the Spice Girls.

Some kind of change was needed, regardless of the availability of steaks.

BugBear

bugbear":ab7w0cop said:
It all may yet work out; the Clarkson/May/Hammond thing had become appallingly formulaic and over-scripted, with fake personas every bit as rigid and parameterised as the Spice Girls.

Some kind of change was needed, regardless of the availability of steaks.

BugBear
True that. I don't think I watched many episodes from the last series. When I did watch them I'd forward through the 'star in a reasonably priced car ' it felt like they were just going through the motions.
There was a couple parts in the new show where it seemed like chris and matt were genuinely having the time of their lives. That was good to see !

Coley

way too try hard... and annoying. the original top gear was getting very ridiculous and scripted.. then this bs took the biscuit. was really really corny.

the lame jokes slagging the previous show just showed what we will be missing :/

Perhaps their trying some 'cross over' type episodes until they can build up their own formula, I agree Evans seemed to be reading a clarkson script at some points.

I've never been a regular viewer of top gear, I've seen some of the more epic challenge episodes which have been very good, the odd regular episode was ok.

using evans was a terrible decision, that's my main problem with it, if they got a different presenter it might have been good, didn't like it at all.

I will never willingly watch anything featuring Chris Evans - something about him just puts my teeth on edge. Apparently they've also kept exactly the same format, which is a mistake IMHO - too easy to make direct comparisons.

I'll try to catch The Grand Tour ("Top Gear Two" lol!) with the 'Gang of 3' on Amazon, but TBH I feel the concept has run its course - even the specials. Perfectly happy to be proven wrong of course...

I'm no diehard Top Gear fan; I watched it but had got a bit bored with it.

I saw the new version on catch up tv - it was really just the same formula with different presenters. I hope Chris Evans develops his own style as I believe he could. Don't know anything about Matt Le Blanc (I'm the wrong generation for Friends), but he didn't look v comfortable. Sabine Schmidt is a star and added something.

I watched the TG Extra show and thought that has some promise - the two guys are engagingly enthusiastic about the real subject (clue - it's motoring).

We'll see how it develops.

Cheers

Very disappointing.
It reminded me very much of TGI Friday or whatever it was called?
CE trying too hard and too frantic but Matt LeBlanc came across very well.
Perhaps given time it will improve?

Rod

Only a 4 out of ten from me.

CE was too lacking in edgy commentry, MLB was too wooden, sticking to the old formulae a mistatke, Sabine Schmitt was good.

Didn't enjoy it at all, no chemistry between Matt le Plank and the screaming ginger one.

Pete

They never do proper road tests of cars normal people can afford or want, its just a show for bragging and showing off and if they pay them millions to do it then good on them. I just hope they don't put the horrible gobby tart from Fifth Gear on there now she does grate on ya

Can't stand Evans, really don't understand why the talentless twerp even has a job in broadcasting.
Agree the other three were about done anyway, the steaks just speeded up the end.
I must say I like James May, his other programmes are right up my street

Latest posts

Back