Did anyone watch Evans's "Top Gear?"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore":1uya9gpp said:
They never do proper road tests of cars normal people can afford or want...

They used to. It was very dull. Chris Goffey droning on about boot capacities etc.

It was only the later revamp that turned it into wet (car) dreams for boys who never grew up.

BugBear

bugbear":3k46z6ex said:
Claymore":3k46z6ex said:
They never do proper road tests of cars normal people can afford or want...

They used to. It was very dull. Chris Goffey droning on about boot capacities etc.

It was only the later revamp that turned it into wet (car) dreams for boys who never grew up.

BugBear

And Clarkson's famous Vectra review, long before he became a caricature of himself.

"I hear you're a racist now Ted?"

I made myself watch it hoping for the best and fearing the worst which is exactly how it ended up, a load of cr*p imo. I had set up to record the rest of the series but deleted that so maybe I'll look in on the next series to see if they've learned any lessons and got rid of CE, if they haven't screwed it up so much there isn't another series that is. It irks somewhat that the BBC are using licence payers money to pay that silly person a fortune for being so juvenile and unprofessional.

I guess the only reason they appointed CE was to replace one schoolboy with an even more abnoxious one, suppose I'll have to buy an amazon dongle now.

Thanks chaps. So not just me then.

I thought it was horribly unprofessional, especially the rather poor scripts (presumably not written by the presenters), rather poorly read, too. Basic stuff, badly executed. And I got the distinct feeling a few talented directors and camera people walked, too, as the pictures were nowhere near the previous quality. Even the hangar stuff didn't look very nice.

The only really bright spot was Sabine Schmitz, all two minutes or so of her (or whatever). I've a sneaky feeling she might get poached by the Likely Lads at some point - they'd be daft not to.

And I need to count the pennies for an Amazon subscription, I think.

E.

I think the BBC are strangling the goose that laid golden eggs.The old crew were genuinely interested in cars and for me,the best part of the old series was when they sat around rabbiting about new models and relating them to other things.The Evans era seems to be focused on personalities-both presenters and guests.Sabine Schmitz was the highlight and needs to feature more.I suspect that future earnings from selling the show to other countries will be less impressive.Can't wait for the Amazon alternative to start.

Disappointing rubbish, I was hoping that the Top Gear would get back to its roots, testing cars that the man in the street can afford (as said by Claymore in his post). Nothing wrong with an occasional glimpse at supper cars, but just seeing a single car badly driven around a track is boring.

Better that the BBC, spent the budget on reinstating their (Formula One) contract, but that’s just wishful thinking when they have a female director of sport, who has no interest in motor sport, grrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil: :evil:

Chris.

ChrisR":1609tl7e said:
Disappointing rubbish, I was hoping that the Top Gear would get back to its roots, testing cars that the man in the street can afford (as said by Claymore in his post). Nothing wrong with an occasional glimpse at supper cars, but just seeing a single car badly driven around a track is boring.

Better that the BBC, spent the budget on reinstating their (Formula One) contract, but that’s just wishful thinking when they have a female director of sport, who has no interest in motor sport, grrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil: :evil:

Chris.

A sexist comment reminiscent of Clarkson at his best! Nice one. =D> =D> =D>

BugBear

ChrisR":1u6zpd75 said:
Disappointing rubbish, I was hoping that the Top Gear would get back to its roots, testing cars that the man in the street can afford

Gosh how tedious would that be. The cars the average person can afford are - well, pretty average. There is a lot less interesting about them than there used to be; no need to tinker constantly, they just go. Mostly rust fairly slowly. The average person buys a car pretty infrequently too, so would not be interested most of the time.

Top Gear was less a car show, more an automotive version of Last of the Summer Wine, and that was why people watched it.

bugbear":2kyr9c2s said:
ChrisR":2kyr9c2s said:

Chris.

A sexist comment reminiscent of Clarkson at his best! Nice one. =D> =D> =D>

BugBear

Only difference, I am happy to do it for free, Clarkson had a huge pay cheque to do the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris.

Back to basics, Chris Evans? Too juvenile, was OK when he was 20 but seems to have aged backwards so is now about 12 month old!! I thought that Matt at least gave one or two quips, especially in the desert but otherwise no better than I had expected.

Phil

I used to watch top gear. this new version I have just seen the one program and it was enough for me to take it off the record schedule :(

I may well be better off watching Mary Berry :)

I saw the 'trailers' and noticed the 'impersonation style'. That didn't flatter Clarkson, it made him seem to possess a razor like wit, by comparison. Chris Who? No; I shan't be watching it.

The sad thing in all of this is that the BBC are spending our money. I haven't looked to see what % of their revenue is from the licence fee but it's clearly sizeable or they wouldn't fight so hard to keep it. I hope they won't be campaigning for an increase in licence fee to cover the revenue shortfall when the new program doesn't sell.

It's a blatant waste of £ millions and the management responsible for the Flop Gear decisions should be sacked.

I've been to Canada, USA and Australia in the last few years and had conversations with fans in each of them who will now be as disappointed as we are.

I didn't like the old TG, so I'm not likely to watch the new one - cars bore me witless. But I have stpped listening to C.E. on the radio, as he won't won't shut up about it. I wonder if the BBC take the number of people doing that into account? :D

I remember well when the 'new' top gear with Clarkson et al first started. It felt dire and the presenters took quite a while to gel properly.

I just think it needs a chance to settle in and for people to get used to it. I thought it a bit strange but then everyone is comparing it to the old version so it has quite a lot to live up to.

I certainly don't miss the gob of clarkson at all!

It's clearly a new kind of show. Personally, I don't think it will affect ratings at all. Yes it will lose a lot of viewers, but it will also gain a lot of viewers due to the different format.

Lons":lru8zgdg said:
The sad thing in all of this is that the BBC are spending our money.
One of the reasons they're so desperate to keep TG is that has provided a net gain to the BBC, rather than an overhead. So if you support the BBC you'd be hoping it will be an overseas sales success.

The key question is will the new line up be as saleable and popular worldwide as in the past ?

I have my doubts. I suspect a lot of TG's appeal was the quirky English humour and approach. That seems lost now bringing in foreign co-presenters, American friendly guests and making the challenges into international contests.
When an early possible line of Philip Glenister/Jodie Kidd/Guy Martin I thought they'd struck gold. With a few tweaks and some new life, the format could thrive with that line up.

Maybe it needs to settle down, but CE really isn't my favourite person on screen, radio or in person.

I watched it in the interests of 'research' as I liked the old Top Gear. I dont particularly like CE and I like him even less now. The only reason the yank is on is because it helps to boost the US tv audience, as its certainly not for his skills and ability! I wont be watching it again unless I am tired and need a snooze, like I did for about half an hour during the programme until my mobile ringing woke me up.

Mike

I wouldn't have been able to stomach Guy Martin, he can barely string a sentence together.

I agree that the old format was tired. Richard Hammond is insufferable at the best of times so I was looking forward to a change of pace. As it is, Matt Le Blanc was the best thing about it and I loved the desert buggy bit, but I found myself zoning out when Chris Evans was on screen.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back