Dial Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get a dial gauge finally, really have to get it now I have a proper saw :)

I've been looking on ebay as I have the money spare in my paypal account but I honestly don't know which I should consider buying.

Can anyone help or even suggest one from a retailer that accepts paypal. Don't want to wait a week to withdraw funds if I can help it.

The ebay search I did was for "Dial Gauge" then narrowed it down by selecting "Business, Office & Industrial" category.

Cheers

Martin

off the top of my head, i would try your local engineers suppliers, or of course tilgear in hertfordshire, who also do engineering bits.
question to consider, what are you going to mount it on??
have you considered getting a combination with surface gauge. with a
scriber included. great for checking saw heights etc.

paul :wink:

Martin, are you looking for a plunge dial gauge or a finger type ?

If your just looking to align the blade to the fence etc there are other ways to do this.

You might find this useful HERE
scroll down to table saws.

update, damn thev'e deleted the info :(
Hope this helps

whoops sorry :oops:

can i suggest you buy the latest issue of popular woodworking from the states, jan 2007 issue is an essential guide to table saws.
page 31 lower right shows a dial indicator on a magnetic stand.
page 13 shows one attached to a piece of wood with a cross member sliding in the mitre slot.
page 15 shows the dti and stand in more detail
i think you can now get digital dial indicators too.

you may be able to check this out on their web site
popularwoodworking.com

try chronos.ltd.uk

they seem to be reasonable, and offer a wide range.
including a stand would be about 27quid, pluspostage

actually i see that chronos are at the london model engineering exhibition at ally pally until sunday. you would also find shesto there who would also help. for those wishing other things like rifflers and various metal files this might well be worth the visit. :lol:

Hey Martin,

Something like this or this

I mounted mine to a piece of thick MDF with a hardwood
runner to fit in the slot.

Hope this helps

dont bother buying a mag stand for this job just cut an angle (45) on the end of a 2 by 1 by 6 in piece of wood, screw your dial gauge(dti) to the angled bit. clamp this to your mitre stand bad a bing. to check your rip fence i just hold it against the stock of a combination square and run the rule against the rip fence.

johnnyb":2amoxu0v said:
dont bother buying a mag stand for this job just cut an angle (45) on the end of a 2 by 1 by 6 in piece of wood, screw your dial gauge(dti) to the angled bit. clamp this to your mitre stand bad a bing. to check your rip fence i just hold it against the stock of a combination square and run the rule against the rip fence.

I am unsure as to your method. We are talking about tollerances to within a fraction of a mm. surely just holding it in place defeats the point of using such a highly accurate tool. In my opinion it is essential that it is secured very firmly and if using in a mitre slot the slider must be a perfect fit with no slop.

i see the first one Slimjim81 posted looks like a great set and even seams to have a stand that rides in the slot :D

you are using the slot on your mitre gauge and clamping the wood to the gauge and running it along the sawblade. i am assuming you have a mitre gauge adjusted to fit the slot well. you can also screw the gauge to a piece of wood to check the rip fence alignment. my square blade is flat and a piece of timber may not be. you can also check the alignment away from blade by using a bigger (wider) board. remember your rip fence should have toe out by 10 or 15 thou at least. remember a blade may run out 3 thou at least.

Back