DGlazed windows-what's involved in making and fitting them??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a DG saleman who tried very hard to sell me some DG windows a few weeks ago if the width of the opening in the brickwork is to remain the same then no Fensa/PP required Dave.
Digit - I doubt if that is true as the local council website has 'a do you need BC' section and 'replacement windows' is a simple yes - no caveats.

This site www.thewindowman.co.uk/ has an "e-book" on the subject
at www.double-glazing-web.co.uk/eBooks/woo ... ge_old.pdf

Also, Jeff Howell is worth reading on the same topic:
www.askjeff.co.uk/double_glazing.html
Thanks Andy - I had seen the windowman site from my searches over the past few days but had missed the specific part you linked to (which was very interesting, stating 70mm frame thickness). Jeff's ebook was also very clear and explained the use of the spacer blocks and the gap of 5mm around the edge that I had seen mentioned on other sites.

Like I said Dave, he was a DG salesman! What he actually said was if you're not over looking neighbours you can modify the opening vertically without reference to anybody. That was Everest, I did question that but he was adamant.

Roy.

Digit":2wzf3ytx said:
Like I said Dave, he was a DG salesman! What he actually said was if you're not over looking neighbours you can modify the opening vertically without reference to anybody. That was Everest, I did question that but he was adamant.

Roy.

Roy,
stranger things are true -seeing he was adamant maybe there is a clause in the regs that can be exploited, but the only instance I can think of would be changing a window (e.g to the garden) into a door, very few windows lend themselves to being made deeper. If you live in the middle of nowhere you might be able to argue you don't overlook anyone so could get all the windows replaced without BC, but seeing as it only costs £100 it makes sense to get the paperwork to avoid any future hassle. Any reason why he was even mentioning it?

If you got a quote from Everest did you see how it fared on the 'scam exam' on the windowman page (it would be interesting what they scored to use as some sort of benchmark). One of my colleagues at work had Everest fitted last year and it cost just under £10k based on 7 windows (£5060), front door and side panels(£2,979) and french windows (£1800) - the price started close to £20k and took a few steps before getting to the final figure, but the price is I suspect more dependant on the style and number of openings rather than window quantity

I do live in the middle of nowhere Dave! The Welsh definition of a village is two pubs and a Chapel.
We haven't got either. :lol:
We didn't get as far as detailed pricing, I got rid of him!

Roy.

Whether or not you overlook someone is not an issue for Building Control but Planning. But even then, the preceding statement is wrong.

if you are fitting a new window on the first floor and it is not going to be frosted ...or..you are replacing a frosted window with plain glass then regardless where you live or even if you don't overlook anyone..you must apply for planning.

Like I said Rog, he was a salesman! DG salesmen have rep somewhat like politicians I fear.

Roy.

Back