Dewalt DW615 newbie.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigibbons

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a Dewalt DW615 1/4" router for light duty work such as Hinge recesses, Lock recess, as i've got about 15 internal doors to hang in the near future. Im also looking at the Trend Hinge Jig and the Trend Lock jig.

Can anyone give me some feedback on anything i've mentioned.
Thanks.

Also i am in my last year of my carpentry apprenticeship, and 19yrs old.

[edit] i've bought the router now off ebay for the sum of £87 brand new, i think thats a fair price.

The Trend Lock Jig is a nice bit of kit, although it's a tad expensive for what it is (Trend, so I suppose that goes withot saying!).

The most difficult part is centering the jig on the door. Once that's done, the rest is very easy. Comes with loads of templates - I haven't found a lock it wouldn't cope with yet! :)

BTW, Welcome!

Ray.

If you do get the Trend jigs could you post your opinions of them here?

I'm 30, and finished my carpentry & joinery apprenticeship 11 years ago and I've still never used a router for hinge and lock recessing. I still use the ol' hammer and chisel way, but I've always found the router approach interesting. The only time I've used a router on a door was to cut the holes for letter plates

scooby":4f4m68b1 said:
If you do get the Trend jigs could you post your opinions of them here?

I'm 30, and finished my carpentry & joinery apprenticeship 11 years ago and I've still never used a router for hinge and lock recessing. I still use the ol' hammer and chisel way, but I've always found the router approach interesting. The only time I've used a router on a door was to cut the holes for letter plates

Yeah i will do mate.
Ive routered butts in before but that was with a home made jig and its just not possible to make a jig for every different size hinge you have to chop in.

The Trend jig sounds good but im not too sure on the way you fix it to the lining by hammering the brawdels Sp* in.

Sigibbons A number of us bought the DW615 from Ebay a year ago. Love the router. Most of us paid about £40+VAT +14.99 carriage. Some got them for as low as £35 and some paid as much as £50+ + after somebody posted the link on the BB. As it is light it's the best hand held router I own. Good luck with the doors. The Trend is very good but pricey. I think that a home made jig would be better unless you can price 3/4 of the jig purchase into the install door price.

Barry Burgess":263ijoxw said:
Sigibbons A number of us bought the DW615 from Ebay a year ago. Love the router. Most of us paid about £40+VAT +14.99 carriage. Some got them for as low as £35 and some paid as much as £50+ + after somebody posted the link on the BB. As it is light it's the best hand held router I own. Good luck with the doors. The Trend is very good but pricey. I think that a home made jig would be better unless you can price 3/4 of the jig purchase into the install door price.

Wow how did you guys get them so cheap? Im also going to have to get a big heavy duty router fro worktops etc.

If i use a home made jig i will constantly have to change it to suit different butts, which takes too long.

sigibbons":21tv1t2z said:
Wow how did you guys get them so cheap? Im also going to have to get a big heavy duty router fro worktops etc.
If i use a home made jig i will constantly have to change it to suit different butts, which takes too long.

For the big router their is only one choice in my view - its the Triton W2000 router. A number of users on the BB use it. Ideal for a router table but a little heavy for hand use with loads of grunt.
The seller must have had over 50 for sale and was selling 3 or 4 a night.
I would look to update your jig as it should not take much time to alter. There was an example of one in ShopNotes and also in Good Woodworking

Barry Burgess":1rr1g3hy said:
sigibbons":1rr1g3hy said:

For the big router their is only one choice in my view - its the Triton W2000 router. A number of users on the BB use it. Ideal for a router table but a little heavy for hand use with loads of grunt.
I would look to update your jig as it should not take much time to alter. There was an example of one in ShopNotes and also in Good Woodworking

Forgive me for being stupid but what is 'BB'? Also is the triton router you reccomend not really suitable for hand held use. I very much doubt i'd use a table as i only do site carpentry.

Thanks guys!

sigibbons":k19cccra said:
Barry Burgess":k19cccra said:
sigibbons":k19cccra said:

Forgive me for being stupid but what is 'BB'? Also is the triton router you reccomend not really suitable for hand held use. I very much doubt i'd use a table as i only do site carpentry.

Thanks guys!

BB usually means bulletin board. Another word for forum.

sigibbons the big Triton weighs in at 7Kgs so its not for the faint hearted as a hand held but the grunt helps. Idea for changing bits above the table.
Barry

Back