Dewalt Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just aquired a secondhand Dewalt bandsaw model 3401, I have reservations about the blade, it runs with a "Kick" in it but cuts ok.
It is noisy when running, it may be my ignorance or??
Does anyone else have the same saw and can you please tell me how yours runs/sounds.

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

I would guess that the kick is either the weld not being done very well, thicker than the very of the blade or not properly in line or the blade has a kink in it due to being abused. If it were my saw I would buy a new good quality blade, they make a huge difference to the machine.

I have a slow EB315 so cannot comment on the noise, but is it coming from the guides? They may not be set up correctly, rubbing on the blade.

Is that the benchtop 2 wheeler from the 1980s? If it is, that was my first BS. Not bad little machines once they are set up right. Mind didn't have an adjustable fence though, so drift could be a pain.

Get a good blade, spend time setting it up right and you'll have a handy little machine.

S

Thanks for that,

I have found a genuine Dewalt blade from Black and Decker Liverpool, it is priced at £26.99, the price is not a problem as long as it corrects the noise problem.
But, does anyone out there have any recommendations as to bandsaw blades and the best place to buy, I have lookes at Rutlands and Axminster but as I am a "newbie" and have never owned a bandsaw before I would appreciate some help.

Pete

Hello Steve,
You speak about "drift" sorry to be dull but would you mind explaining,.
I did find that when I wanted to rip down a piece of scant to "knock" up a potting table for my beloved, it seemed to run away from the makeshift fence I clamped down. The blade wandered.

Pete

I have that machine

The kick is a cocked weld or where someone has rammed a bit of wood into the blade & it has twisted & kinked DAMHIKT :oops:

I also have some axminster blades and they are very good and about half that price

We have got a portable dewalt bandsaw at work, however I don't think it is very good at all, blade doesnt run very well, and makes alot of noise, and we had it from brand new about a year ago, I only use it if the bigger one is out of use.

I have that one as well, and it's quiet

get some blades from axminster,

and they are correct the saw does wander a lot. it is mostly to be used on very thin wood :twisted:

Back