Dewalt 625E type 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senator

Established Member
Reaction score
Sent for new bearings for my router and I'm hoping to fit them myself. Has anyone done this? If so some advice and tips would be appreciated. Cheers all!

Hope you didnt get replacement Dewalt bearings. I took mine to my local bearing supplier and he said Dewalt would struggle to buy bearings which were worse than the original ones. They are cheap and nasty, I ended up getting good quality bearings and havent had a problem since. If Dewalt bought good bearings for their routers and put the price up by a tenner they would have a lot more happy customers. If you take a router back to a dealer to get new bearings fixed when it is out of warranty they will tell you that it is an uneconomic fix and it is cheaper to buy a new router!

Mike

Its quite easy to do
you may need a small bearing puller to remove the old ones
just be methodical in taking it to bits take photos of the wiring in the lid
take care of the magnet in the very top

Ian

Yep, what Ian above said. I bought a small bearing puller for the job when I did mine and I got the bearings from a bearing supplier too. :wink:

Haven't yet had to replace the bearings on my Elu 177e's (wonder if DeW went for cheaper bearings when they took over Elu???) but it would be good if someone who has replaced these could give either the exact sizes, or some manufacturer's serial number for quality replacements.

dickm":3cfk9yv9 said:
Haven't yet had to replace the bearings on my Elu 177e's (wonder if DeW went for cheaper bearings when they took over Elu???) but it would be good if someone who has replaced these could give either the exact sizes, or some manufacturer's serial number for quality replacements.

The earlier Elu were mostly assembled at the factory in Spennymoor, Co. Durham and at the time the brands inc DeWalt were under the Black & Decker "professional" umbrella.
They were all decent tools and I still own several of them. Unfortunately I sold my 177e a long time ago and more recently replaced it with a modern DeWalt which is very definately inferior quality.

The bearings on my Elu 96e are only just starting to show signs of wear after some 25 years of regular use. The DeWalt bearings won't last long.

Bob

I ordered the bearings from toolsandpartsdirect.co.uk which unfortunately maybe are De Walt ones. Although the Router. was bought new by me in 2002 and has been used pretty much daily since, it's only now that the bearings have failed therefore I consider it has done very good service in my opinion. Thanks for all your comments and wish me luck installing them :)

OK, I'm wishing you luck installing them!
Post your experience here, lots of us can probably benefit.

Didn't know Elu were assembled in Durham - always thought wishfully they had been put together by Swiss clockmakers! Back in the 70s, Elu's UK address was Dallow Road, Luton. Being naive, even wondered if the LU in the name referred to that illustrious town :)

dickm":2kinf3mr said:
Didn't know Elu were assembled in Durham - always thought wishfully they had been put together by Swiss clockmakers! Back in the 70s, Elu's UK address was Dallow Road, Luton. Being naive, even wondered if the LU in the name referred to that illustrious town :)

I was Branch manager of a main distributor in the early 80s and visited the Spennymoor factory a number of times. They were assembled alongside the black & Decker range and part of the "professional" arm of the company with the DIY retail sector handled by a seperate sales force.

I can't remember the original origin of Elu and I think it was Swiss. (can't remember last week never mind 25 years ago :?

Bob

Latest posts

Back