Design rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchallender

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to design a couple of pieces of furniture for the house (kids bedroom & kitchen) and I was wondering about drawers - are there any design guidelines for aesthetics? i.e. depth of drawer, thnkness of the sides, etc. the golden rule / ratio got me thinking

rgds

darren

Hi Darren,
Drawer sides between 12 and 16mm,drawer fronts 3 to 4 mm thicker but usually I make them 19mm. Height of drawer fronts I get from the following formula:

A/ Determine the height the drawers will cover, either internal cabinet or overall cabinet for lay on type.

B/ Number of drawers required

C/ Desired height of smallest /top drawer

Dimension A minus total of gap allowance ( less dust board rails if inset)

Multiply B by C and deduct from previous answer.

Divide this by number of increments. These are determined as follows;

Drawer Increment
1 or top 0
2 1
3 2
4 3 and so on
4 Drawers 6 total Increments

Drawer 2 is therefore top drawer height + 1 Increment, drawer 2 Top drawer + 2 Increments and so on.

As there are 66 increments in total for twelve drawers I have an Excel calculator for it. If you use this system during the design stage it can be tweeked to suit your eye but works out quite aesthetically.
Hope it is of use, Rob.

JoinerySolutions":2gccs4ws said:
Is there a way to post an Excel folder for my Drawer Calculator, so others may download and use it as required?
You need the find a publicly accessible server that you can host it on. I have some space on a BT server as they are my ISP, Google do give out web page space, never tried to host an excel file on it but it might work. Then on the forum you need to post the URL for the file.

Back