Deks Olje D1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used this product? I want a finish for external oak. I dont mind maintaining it from time to time but I dont want something that needs stripping before I can do so.

It is a wine barrel chair, so has both horizontal and vertical surfaces- I think that the horizontal aspect is an issue for Osmo products. I would prefer an oil finish, or oil varnish mix if possible.

My Dad used to use it on his boat on the rubbing bands & toe rails, (bits round the edge of the deck!) He was a skilled boatbuilder & very good at varnishing. He was extremely particular about keeping his yacht looking good. He started using Deks Olje back in the mid 70's, It is very thin & goes on easily & is supposed to soak in, you need many many coats. The D1 saturator gives a pleasant thin satin finish. If you want a gloss finish you then apply D2 gloss over the top. It is possible to acheive a beautiful glossy finish but again it takes many coats.
Here is the downside, It is not durable & wears rapidly, the gloss finish will craze in the sun & fail rapidly within 6 months.
It is ok on a pine clinker built boat where you can slop a coat on every month or so but on hardwoods not so good.
Dad persisted in using it for about ten years but eventually gave up on it as a bad job & went back to oil based varnish.
I have since used it occasionally on interior of wooden sailing dinghies.
It is one of those finishes that has to be topped up regularly otherwise it looks rubbish.

it doesn't sound like it is suitable for what I am wanting. an oil varnish may be easier all round (or a home-brew wipe on version)

Back