Deep cracks in support posts ... Do I need to fill them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tip Top

Reaction score
I'm about to start building a garden pergola that has a footprint of around 5m x 3m (as per the sketchup image). Most of the roof is from 8"x2" and 6"x2" planks so it's fairly substantial, hence the whole thing is being supported on four 6"x6" posts.
The issue is that these posts have been sat in my carport over the last month and as they have dried out they have developed very large cracks along the length of the the wood. Some of these cracks start at the base of the timber and are around 50mm deep and a metre long.
I'm not bothered about the appearance but I am wondering about how it might affect the structural integrity of the posts and whether they are still up to supporting the roof through all weathers. Do you think I'm being over cautious or do I need to fill / glue them up ?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230528_122402_Day One.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230528_122402_Day One.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_123758.jpg
    20230528_123758.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
What about if you pour some resin in there? That way there wouldn't be a void for water to sit in.

Agreed 100% re not filling them. It’s simply impossible to fill a void that contracts and expands and ends up becoming a water trap which will shorten the life of your pergola. Are they structural timber and graded C16 or C24?
Ant

I would make a trough and fill will P.E.G solution and soak the supports in this solution. This is exactly the method (though long term spray of solution ) that was used on the Tudor Warship The Mary Rose. Peg (polyethelene glycol) replaces the water in the cells and thus stabilises the timber.

I would make a trough and fill will P.E.G solution and soak the supports in this solution. This is exactly the method (though long term spray of solution ) that was used on the Tudor Warship The Mary Rose. Peg (polyethelene glycol) replaces the water in the cells and thus stabilises the timber.
When I read that I marvelled at the skills people had in the Tudor times. Then I realised you meant to preserve it when it was recovered 🤦‍♂️

dont worry...it'll add character......
besides, homes for spiders....
take a look at some stately homes.....
some of their timbers u can get ur arm in the cracks........

If your sketch is accurate, i'd be much more worried at the apparemt lack of diagonal bracing? The roof needs to be stiffened up?

Back