DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
owen":15t1besn said:
........Assuming you mean butt joint the wall plates, you would use half laps surely?

Yep, or any other type of scarf you fancy. But you can just butt them if you want, but then you must make sure that the frames you sit on them later have their join in a different location.

DBT85":6mu0409s said:
I had a look at the dewalt 18v one last night. £440 for it the box and 2 5ah batteries.

Talking it over with father in law as to whether we buy it to sell it when. I'm done or buy a cheaper one to just keep.

I don't have the funds to just buy one to keep and oddly we don't have a compressor here. Though I'd prefer to work without the hose anyway.
My mate has been doing a lot of fencing after his main business activities took a nosedive and he managed to pick up a decent used one on Facebook marketplace a couple of months ago, only had one battery but he paid £90 for the gun and got a couple of extra 5amp generic batteries off ebay, can't remember what he paid for those but he said they were cheap and work very well.

If you buy one you won't want to sell it on later though :lol:

Mike, just a quick one, if I was studding out the inside of a single skin brick garage, so I need anything between the studs and the brick?

Work continues. I have 9 bricks left to lay before I start the blocks, so rather than mixing up a batch and having some left I'm just cutting all the blocks. I do wish I'd been given the 3nm ones I asked for as these 6nm ones are a little work to cut, but I have just 15 to go. Sadly my bandsaw is 2cm too short to deal with them rather more quickly.

Depwalt nailer will be here tomorrow. £440 inc vat and we'll sell it when I'm done. £100 of nails on the way too.

Right, back to cutting the blocks...The bricks are not getting finished today I feel.

DBT85":sq73qdra said:
Depwalt nailer will be here tomorrow. £440 inc vat and we'll sell it when I'm done.

Oh no you won’t!

The pain of buying it will ease, and the need to sell will no longer be a need. :)

You’ll think of the bit of fencing to be done later, the summer house, FIL’s surely got something that needs nailing.

Whoever said just chop those 100mm blocks in half needs a dry slap. It's killing me and they still aren't all done.
Sheptonphil":2zqezkn0 said:
DBT85":2zqezkn0 said:
Depwalt nailer will be here tomorrow. £440 inc vat and we'll sell it when I'm done.

Oh no you won’t!

The pain of buying it will ease, and the need to sell will no longer be a need. :)

You’ll think of the bit of fencing to be done later, the summer house, FIL’s surely got something that needs nailing.
Ha, in my 20odd years of DIY jobs I've never needed one and he can't think of a time he's needed one either. But if we find uses while it's here then we'll keep it.

DBT85":3scds922 said:
Mike, just a quick one, if I was studding out the inside of a single skin brick garage, so I need anything between the studs and the brick?.....

No. You must have a vapour barrier on the inside (warm) face of the wall, though. OSB, foil backed plasterboard, something like that.

It felt like a slower day today despite getting out earlier.

I chopped those three bricks out and turned them around. It was surprisingly easy to saw the mortar out and a light tap with the lump hammer and off they popped.

After that I got the mixer going and in what felt like fairly short order used up the last of my mix. It was probably nearly 11:30 by then but it felt smooth and "easy" to lay a whopping 43 bricks. Not wanting to mix up another batch and have some left over, I decided that next I'd cut up the 100mm Quinnlite B5 blocks ready for the inner skin.

I did a couple and then took the kid off my wifes hands for an hour and popped to B&Q to pick up my tin of end grain treatment. Lunch occurred and then I went back at it. I'm still not firkin finished. Probably another 7 or 8 to cut.

I was interrupted by father in law to talk about the nailer situation and we agreed to buy one and sell it on afterwards if we don't feel the need to keep it around. Even if we only got £300 for it its still less than the hire for a month and this way I can just use it as I need it.

That was all she wrote for today. These blocks are a pain and I'll be glad when they are finished. I hope (pray) to get them cut then mix up a batch and get the last 11 bricks and then these blocks all laid tomorrow so that I can start getting the plates down on Thursday.

Soon I shall stop posting pics of just bricks and concrete. I promise.

In the meantime I want to double check my framing details and things like stud heights. Oh and I measured my outer brick to outer brick on the short sides (I can't recall why). Both are exactly 4719mm. They were supposed to be 4715mm. I have failed.

49989189442_7de08f425e_b.jpg

Laying those blocks is a different skill. You won't succeed if you try to fully load the inner face of the block with mortar. You're better off with vertical beads only, then pointing up the gaps afterwards. Don't tap them too vigorously into place, as they'll snap readily. If any won't got down far enough to get level, leave them in place and cut them off level the following day. You might want a slightly sloppier mortar than you used for the brickwork. Saying all that, they're so much quicker than bricks. You'll have that lot done by lunch tomorrow.

MikeG.":3g7l2edn said:
Laying those blocks is a different skill. You won't succeed if you try to fully load the inner face of the block with mortar. You're better off with vertical beads only, then pointing up the gaps afterwards. Don't tap them too vigorously into place, as they'll snap readily. If any won't got down far enough to get level, leave them in place and cut them off level the following day. You might want a slightly sloppier mortar than you used for the brickwork. Sating all that, they're so much quicker than bricks. You'll have that lot done by lunch tomorrow.

HAHAHAHA done by lunch he says.

Yeah I saw you post about buttering the inner face, wasn't even going to try. Bed down on the floor and butter the ends. laying them will be measurably faster than cutting the things.

The blocks are cut, seems the saw had lost its set.

The galv straps have to go on the brick and under the block, yes? I do hope my drill doesn't dislodge my bricks!

EDIt: never mind, I see you originally intended to put them into the concrete but youjr drill ran out of guys. I have an SDS for just such an eventuality.

Too late.

Done by lunchtime you said.

I've just finished the door wall blocks. Only 19m of them left to do. I now have a method.

I have no idea why I said 19 to do. More like 40.

Five and a half hours later the remaining 40 ish blocks are in place.

My knees and back are in pain but its done. There are no more blocks or bricks to lay. Maybe just a little pointing here and there.

As always I ran out of mortar with just 4 left to go so my last mix of the day was in a bucket.

49992363047_00956a00f3_b.jpg

Also this arrived in a hilariously oversized carry case

49992362662_f67099fe89_b.jpg

I think there’s many professional brickies who would be proud to put their name to that job. Looks blooming marvellous.

That’s the easy bit done, physically, the next lot will be like a good workout at the gym.

Sheptonphil":3bvh3y5r said:
I think there’s many professional brickies who would be proud to put their name to that job. Looks blooming marvellous.

That’s the easy bit done, physically, the next lot will be like a good workout at the gym.
Oh there are certainly people that get paid to do it that would claim it. If I'd paid someone to do it I'd be very upset as it's all over the shop! Ha.

I also checked my diagonals from brick to brick. I'm 10mm out. I'm doomed.

Back