David Charlesworth - Drawer making and Fitting (DVD)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
DavidC---Drawer-Making_zpsv4mibxyp.jpg

DavidC---Drawer-Making-2_zpsxb14l0xb.jpg

David, I think that this is one of your finest DVD's yet, and heartedly recommend it to everyone working towards more advanced drawer making.

You have a style that one might call "measured" :D This DVD runs nearly 3 hours, but I was focussed the whole way through. There was enough description, enough pace, enough demonstration - this was a polished presentation.

I bought the DVD because I like to see how others do things, how they work, and whether I can learn something new. The timing of this DVD was interesting as I am in the process of building drawers that features slips, a feature of the drawer design you used. I have built many drawers this way, but the current set I am doing have complex curves and are more complicated. For example, how was the slip to mate with the drawer bottom when the drawer sides are angled and the tops need to be flush. Well, your suggestion (in the DVD) to add a bead to the edge of the slip helped enormously here.

I also liked the detail of the rounded top of the drawer back. I added this to my drawers as well.

I do wish that you would use a dovetail saw rather than a bandsaw. Your hand skill with chisels is so advanced over us mere mortals that I do not know why you avoid the saw. Still, for those using machines for this area, your simple jig on the bandsaw is another item that is worth the price of entry.

There are so many small details that I have no doubt missed and will pick up when I watch this DVD again, which I shall do. The three hours went too quickly.

What I did ...

29a%20Rear%20view%20of%20drawer_zpsim4yet7u.jpg

28a%20slip%20into%20groove_zpswkybcyf5.jpg

30a%20front%20view%20and%20dovetail_zpsjr27rl26.jpg

Thanks once again.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi David - do you have any plans on releasing this in book form?

Sorry I'm a bit old fashioned and a sucker for post-it-notes and spreading my books out on my workbench.

Nice job by the way Derek.

Jonny

I couldn't agree more Derek.

A superb film for the advanced intermediate woodworker looking to take their skills to the next level. I particularly like the way it covers one advanced topic and the associated techniques in depth without getting sidetracked into already well documented areas like dovetailing or setting up a plane.

The bandsaw I can totally forgive, surely it's almost an honorary hand tool anyway isn't it..? The flagrant use of a router table however....! :wink:

As with all of David's DVD's I have no hesitation in recommending it, carefully considered best practice from start to finish.

Jonny,

Much of this is in two articles in my second book.

Unfortunately not in print, try for a second hand copy, though these seem to be rather expensive on amazon.

best wishes,
David

Thank you for that David. I own your first techniques book (and your handtool methods book), but will track down a copy of your second book.

thanks again.

Jonny

Back