Damn it's cold! What heater?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an oil filled rad and a mobile butane gas heater, within 10 mins the w/s is up to 20c, condensation is the downside but after I turn the gas heating down it soon goes, it was 4 c outside today and 22c in the w/s, I made a new rolling pin on the lathe for SWIMBO after our 4 legged friend managed to break her glass one.

Regards,

Rich.

Butane gas heater for me also , the only problem is they tend to give off a lot of moisture so once its warm (which doesnt take long ) i turn it off until it starts to cool then knock it back on for 10 mins .
Its ten to eleven and ive just come back in from my workshop and its bloody cold outside but the w/shop was lovely and toastie and i have no wall insulation :D

It's an oil filled rad for me. I leave it on the frost-stat setting which comes on at 5C. Turn it up while I make a cuppa and its warm enough when I go back in. The last few days its been about 8degs above the outside temp so the insulation must be working :D .

Fully insulated 'shop and a 1.5KW oil filled rad...warms up fairly quickly and no condensation - Rob

Oil filled rad for me also, but I also have an electric fan heater to give instant heat. However, over the past few days I've left my heater on just to keep the basic heat, so that the blocks I've been painting will dry. Probably heating the street as well but can't help that :(

Phil

I'm recently plumbed in, works for me. But you need to be as insulated as possible.

I insulated the flat roof with 2ins. polystyrene, the side walls are abutted, one to my greenhouse, the other to the next door garage, then with my fully enclosed carport in front I don't have agreat deal of problem and I use a fan heater, all works well.
Derek.

A littel wee electric + convecter £8 shot from BnQ does my space .You could go green by say,,,,,,,ripping twenty meters of 50 mm oak with a blunt handsaw .

WORK HARDER!

well it worked for the prisoners in the Siberian Gulags... except for those that froze to death...

Last night I was planing so I stayed warm, the other day I was putting in small screws, I had to stop when I couldn't feel them enough to grip properly

Aidan

the worst thing for me at the moment is the damn cast iron is soooo cold! Trying to setup my bandsaw and/or using the tablesaw is horrible in this weather, I think going by the suggestions here, an oil-filled rad will be making it's way into my shop.

What sizes/makes are you lot using?

I struggled with cold hands touching cast iron for years the I was offered and old rayburn stove, it fits nicely into the corner ( ton weight to move) and it burns my offcuts.
I also use some coal for a top up and is working out about £8 per week and thats it going 24/7

The workshop is warm and dry and if you burn some peat it smells very oldie world, the other good thing you can boil the kettle and ( believe it or not ) I have cooked a couple of Sunday dinners in it ( chicken and roasties)

I will post some photos soon

Cheers

Ian

I use a Delonghi Dragon oil filled rad, not sure on size but it was the biggest they did 4 years ago. With all the walls insulated I just run it half way between frost setting and number one. Always comfortable enough to start working in and after it's been on number 2 for an hour I'm in short sleeves.

Insulation is the key, previously I used the rad and a fan heater and was always cold!

I was out fixing a new panel to my car this afternoon and was wrapped up warm with hat and scarf. When I came in I forgot to take off the extra layers. Wasn't til the sweat dripped onto the wood I was scraping that I remembered! :roll:

So wrapping up warm is another option.

woodburner we have a work only takes about 10-15mins to get the chill off then after that nice an toasty :)

Back