Damaged oil tank and the insurance company.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
We had a heating oil delivery today, The delivery driver said that we'd better check with our insurance company regarding the padlock on the top, that I have fitted.
Some other customers have had the oil taken by driving a sharp tube in the twin wall tanks low down and taking what they can then leaving the remainder flooding out to contaminate the surrounding area, because they said a padlock was fitted.
Several companies, driver said, would rather that just the oil was taken so leaving off the padlock may be a good idea, in this instance.
The environmental clear up costs as well as a new bunded tank, fitting and oil are very high.
It may be a good idea to check The requirement of You're insurance company, I'll be getting on the dog and bone
on this one on the morrow.
regards Rodders

I dont lock mine rather they just nicked it out the top then damage the tank and wasting large amounts.

Adidat

People will steal the sweat off your Grandmother's back for a few pennies, so I reckon heating oil is still a target, yes.

Don't lock mine either. Mines so old its only single skin so I definitely don't want that damaged.

Mark

Thanks for the replies folks.
I just never gave any of this a thought especially the puncturing of the tank.
I've always been surprised at the sometimes hard work these thieves can get up to rather than get a steady job!
I must either wake up or get around a bit more, just don't think of these things.
Regards Rodders

All the tanks that have been pilfered around here have all been visible, and within easy access, of the road.

Mine is behind locked gates and in some pretty vicious shrubbery. Combine that with a herd of attack-chickens and I sleep soundly at night, in the warm.. :-D

I keep mine unlocked as like others have said replacing oil is cheaper than the alternative. This is especially true given our last 500 litre order cost me £130, the same amount 2 years ago was £330.

Nick

I paid £147 for 500 litres recently. I expect it will gradually creep up again though?

Oil is under $30 a barrel - it's thought it might drop to $10. The government should fix all fuel prices, (which after all have been budgeted for) and use all surplus income for alternative energy storage research - because this will come back to bite us on the arrse.

Our oil tank is in the garage / workshop which isn't allowed in any new installations these days. It's a large steel 2500 ltr tank so I wish it wasn't to gain the space but the cost of changing is too prohibitive. It's secure and doesn't rust though.

The thieves will do anything as said. A number of years ago they cut the fuel line on 3 vehicles in the estate including my daughters, all were Vauxhalls and one of the victims my next door neighbour who is a DI (so they were caught :wink: ). All had minimum 3/4 tanks full so just let it drain away to get just a few gallons. cost a lot to fix and one had to have his drive replaced as it ruined his tarmac. Little b******s

Same here Lons, my steel oil tank was in the garage, but I got a bit concerned that should there be a fire in that area, and if the tank was only part full, then it could be a humongous bomb!
And what would Mr Lloyds insurance group say to that , Sorry half yer house has gone, Mr Rodders, on page 14, in tinyprint, bla,bla and we all know how fekin' useless the insurance ombudsman is.
So I paid out around £1,400 for a bunded tank, pipe and plumber for the day
Peace of mind can be a wonderful thing.
Regards Rodders

The police around here know the Diddys that do the thieving and know there's no point in taking them to court. If they get gaoled at all it'll be the thirtieth fifth time or whatever - and they'll be back driving unlicenced in uninsured vehicles in six weeks time after their social worker has told everyone involved that they are good boys really, they've just gone off the rails since Princess Di died/ there cat got lost/ their horse got pneumonia/ the government's austerity measures.

phil.p":3ou3g2cx said:
The police around here know the Diddys that do the thieving and know there's no point in taking them to court. If they get gaoled at all it'll be the thirtieth fifth time or whatever - and they'll be back driving unlicenced in uninsured vehicles in six weeks time after their social worker has told everyone involved that they are good boys really, they've just gone off the rails since Princess Di died/ there cat got lost/ their horse got pneumonia/ the government's austerity measures.

MMM, Same here, They need a swift kick up the pants!
rodders

blackrodd":16jkv98v said:
Same here Lons, my steel oil tank was in the garage, but I got a bit concerned that should there be a fire in that area, and if the tank was only part full, then it could be a humongous bomb!
And what would Mr Lloyds insurance group say to that , Sorry half yer house has gone, Mr Rodders, on page 14, in tinyprint, bla,bla and we all know how fekin' useless the insurance ombudsman is.
So I paid out around £1,400 for a bunded tank, pipe and plumber for the day
Peace of mind can be a wonderful thing.
Regards Rodders

It won't or shouldn't explode apparently Rodders.

When I bought this house in 1987 it had been subject to a pretty serious fire which started in the garage, a heater I believe. Melted the garage door and burned off most of the garage roof plus a lot of other damage but significantly, the oil tank was 2/3rds full and while the fire badly burned the timber support spars which it sits on across dwarf brick walling and burned off the sight level tube and plastic caps, the oil didn't catch fire.
I've been told since that it's comparitively safe unless vapourised though I'm no expert.

We bought the house cheaply though so a ill wind. :)

What if you made the oil tank look like a septic tank and the septic tank look like an oil tank? Assuming you have a septic tank of course, but I guess a lot of oil tank users do?

Would make for interesting police reports and insurance claims.

YorkshireMartin":6tjaur3q said:
What if you made the oil tank look like a septic tank and the septic tank look like an oil tank?

Every time you had your 'septic tank' emptied, they'd pump out all of your Kero. 8)

You're probably right about the tank not going boom, but it did rather worry me.
I put the steel tank outside and slept easier.
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back