Dakota Stack 'n' Lock Tool Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. I've acquired the above stack and lock tool box from Rutland's when they last had them on sale and thought it would be the end of having most of my power tools stored in one place nice and safely. But that has not been the case as I was wanting to put my track saw in the bottom unit but unfortunately it's to tall. I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with this system or know if it is compatible with any of the other systems on the market such as the Makita stack system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

The stated dimensions are larger than Festool sustainer (300 x 400mm) - so I doubt they are compatible with those, or the makita and metabo boxes which are designed to be compatible with systainers.

The box my Makita plunge (rail) saw came in actually is an original-style, size 4 Systainer, and I assume it was made by Tanos. Makita have since varied the design, but the new ones still lock with original Systainers.

My understanding is that Tanos own the design rights for the original system, but Festool chose the colour scheme. My _guess_ is that the newer design used by Festool (with the green triangular locks) has some IP that they own, in case they want to use a different OEM at some point.

The new-style Systainer for the Domino XL, incidentally, is even taller, as the tool won't fit horizontally in a normal one. It is stored pointing diagonally downwards, supported on a polystyrene insert.

I have made a couple of plywood boxes of similar size to a Systainer (for my sanders), and they are fine. I was going to make more, and may yet do so, but time and materials costs make them more expensive than the proper things. And they don't stack with them, either!

I have also had a Bosch "L-box" (or a similar silly name). That was simply ridiculous - nasty space-wasting design and fragile.

If Lidl sold Systainers occasionally, they would have long queues for sure!

E.

Thank you both for your assistance. I was hoping for that it might have fit the Makita as by the looking at them the clips are in roughly the same place but the Makita has a curve in the top of the box.

I did originally think about making my own but cost wise it wasn't worth it especially when Rutland's price dropped them one weekend. I think the Dakota may get used fixtures and fittings. Then see if I can start sneaking a set of the Makita stacks in one box at a time so the other half doesn't see them and play the I've had them all along card. Again cheers for your help.

Latest posts

Back