Daft Punk Lathe work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXFIRE_WIREXx

Reaction score
Hi,

Although this is for metalwork i thought i should post in here as it has a much higher traffic and it may interest a few of you. :)

Looking to have some parts cut for a small project i am working on. Parts will be turned from 6 and 8 mm aluminium rod. Which i can supply.

Here is the final measurement for what I need cut -

4 x (32.00mm x 6mm Diameter) M3 thread both ends. Hole can be drilled straight through. 5mm deep minimum thread depth. Thread straight through if needed.

4 x (7.00mm x 8mm Diameter) M3 thread straight through.

3 x (9.00mm x 8mm Diameter) M3 thread straight through.

1 x (4.00mm x 6mm Diameter) M3 thread straight through.

7 x (51.00mm x 6mm Diameter) M3 thread both ends. Hole can be drilled straight through. 5mm deep minimum thread depth. Thread straight through if needed.

4 x (5.00mm x 6mm Diameter) M3 thread straight through

Anyone able to do this would be doing me a huge favor.

The project -

602693_561886683853444_148699512_n.jpg

Im actually the creator of this replica sculpt and now im creating the led version.

Heres my build vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6tFWbMYjrk

and what im replicating - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZeRqcTO_do

Afternoon, there is a lot of fiddly work there which takes a lot of time on the lathe.
I am not sure exactly how you are using these pieces but you might be better looking for some tube which you can thread easily with a tap from a hobby shop or similar or look for some M3 stud http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-STAINL...rial_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item3a7e8cc94d and put a nut (dome) on each end through a tube (which you could probably drill on a press if you are careful and use a small drill-vice).

Standard tube starts at 6mm OD and 4mm ID so that would work with M5 if you could go that big. Round headed machine screws are reasonably small if that works with your plan.

If you can cope with hex bar then have a look for pcb spacers such as http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b...ions=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=638573

Alternatively, if none of the above pleases you, how about looking on here http://madmodder.net/ which is where a lot of metal-mad folk hang out - they might be more set up to help you than on here, regards, Phil

Hi Phil

Yeah sadly due to the space available and way i have designed my parts this is really the only option i have.

Need to be 6 and 8mm due to the holes i have already had laser cut in one piece. Then it must be m3 as im using countersunk screws which must be flush with my material once inserted. My materials only 1.5mm thick which allows for a 90deg countersink.

Ill have a look at the link.

Cheers

@xXXfire:

I agree with previous poster - there's some work here, fiddly but not really difficult, just rather time consuming. From the description they sound like "stand offs" for mounting PCB/s or other stuff above a PCB (or something similar). But sorry I also have to say that your description is not entirely clear - "a picture is worth a thousand words" and all that and in this case a rough sketch/es with dimensions AND tolerances (if important/tighter than say +/- a tenth of a mil) would be a great help.

The only 2 "problems" with me is that I couldn't start the job for at least a month from now, maybe 6 weeks, and also the distance between us - being small and lightweight they can post backwards and forward (relatively) cheaply, but as it appears you're doing a "special own-design" the ideal would be for your and the "lathe driver" to be able to meet up at least once.

But I do have the "advantage" that now I've been here in Switzerland for a quite a few years, working in Metric has become more or less "normal" for me, my lathe is Metric, and I have loads of Metric thread cutting gear, nuts & bolts, etc, all in stock. 3 mm no problem.

But I suggest you try to find someone else nearer to you first of all, but if no luck with that by all means send me a PM (with a sketch/es please) in a month or so's time.

Cheers & best of luck

AES

I may be one of the few people on this forum that know who daft punk are! If i had a lathe i would gladly help you out. Unfortunately i haven't! Love the project tho dude! Please keep this thread updated!! :)

Not really woodwork related, but to get the chrome effect paint you need to spray alclad chrome over an utterly smooth gloss black coat - there's lots of info on where to get it and application.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas

yeah the parts are used to mount pcbs and used in the helmet visor area itself to support an area which will secure the leds. sadly due to the way im designed it all this is exactly how the parts need to be.

@ AES

yeah id be looking for the parts to be made sooner but thanks and ill keep you in mind.

Im actually sending the helmet over to the states to have it professionally chromed in a chrome shop. there is a place in the uk called chrome spray but i need this think to be "the best" so off to the states it goes.

I found company who says they can do the work now for £50. Think i will go with them but it is more expensive than id thought.

Back