Dado blade on scheppach

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I was following with great interest the recent discussion on dado blades and bench saws. Actually I have a TS2500ci and I was just "making" a sort of dado blade using three CMT grooving saw blades (cat. numb. 240.050.07M) and two custom-made reduction rings (made with C4 steel on an engineering lathe). In this way I could cut up to 15 mm wide grooves. It's not a very versatile solution, but it is not expensive for me (I all ready have the blades).

Is this a good idea? It is safe enough?

Hi Bob
First of all I have to ask you"Why do you want to cut dadoes this way?"Saws that are CE rated in the EU have a short arbour to stop us doing this because of the potential safety issues. If you been following the other thread you already know that.

So, Bob, why do you want to do it that way? :) A router with a jig is safer, more versatile and, for a short run at least, quicker, when you take into account the time it takes to set up the TS and return it to normal use afterwards. There is a well-proven design in this month's British Woodworking. If it's not in your local Neopolitan WHSmith's, email [email protected] for a copy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not agin dado set per se, indeed I own one, but they simply are not worth the candle unless you are doing a fair number and have suitable alternative guarding arrangements in place.

Cheers
Steve

I can't see the point of going to the trouble of making a head to take spindle moulder tooling that won't give any easy adjustment of the width of cut. Why not just buy the adjustable groover that Scheppach sell for the saw with out the risk of overloading the brake system and knowing it is safe* to use with the saw.

* When I say safe there are syill better ways to cut grooves & rebates.

Jason

OK guys, I will give up with my bad idea! thanks for the advices.

I asked for the scheppach special cutter to my local dealer; it is quite expensive (250€). It is possible to find it for less? If so, where? There are other adjustable groover cutters similar to the scheppach one that might fit my saw?

Latest posts

Back