DADO ADVICE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
CAN I ASK FOR A FEW TIPS ON DADO USING, PLEASE, NO FUNNY ANSERS :D :? :(

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF ARBOR YOU NEED TO COME THROUGH, I JUST RAN A DADO THROUGH MDF AND IT WAS 18MM WIDE AND THERE WAS 1MM OF ARBOR LEFT IS THAT :D OR :( :?:

JUST POST SOME GOOD IDEAS AND SOME INFO THAT CAN HELP ME CUT GOOD AND SAFE D'S

THANKS

:D Is the 1mm after you have got the locking nut hand tight or are you saying you have 1mm befor the nut is on ?

Martyn

Alf, you missed the typo, he said
NO FUNNY ANSERS Very Happy Confused Sad

..not "no funny ANSWERS!!!" - leaves the window open in my book

I would say that it's up tight, then 1mm is more or less the same as 3-4mm - but i could be wrong here.

Andy

:D Same as Andy the nut will tighten as the blades turn so no problem I have the 802 and its almost the same for me and I have had no problems up to now :!: "touch wood" :oops:

Martyn :D

Scrit":4qng6gf0 said:

Hi Scrit etc

Is that a No then :D

I am in the same position as bramers and have a dado set on order for my 805 saw. I would very much like to know to what the potential dangers are in using stacked dado sets are and how to best use them as safely as possible. It all seems so easy on NYW :?

It is clear that the standard riving knife and guard assembly cannot be used when cutting a dado but can other guards be used. I assume the other area of risk is the fact that there are more saw blades in contact with the wood thereby increasing the risk of kickback.

I would also appreciate any advice on this as like bramers and others here I am sure have not been around woodworking long enough to hear the historical reasons why dados have such a bad press. I have done a bit of a search and seen lots of opinions for and against but not why?

TIA

Hi Gareth

Why bother with a dado blade in your saw, when you can make a jig for your router and cut perfect dadoes in no time?

Just my 2p.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1zw064l0 said:
Hi Gareth

Why bother with a dado blade in your saw, when you can make a jig for your router and cut perfect dadoes in no time?

Just my 2p.

Cheers
Neil
I cut all my dados with a router but it is far more time consuming when compared to Norm doing it with a dado cutter. I find running them through the router table I get better results doing it twice.
If the guru Scrit came up with a safe way of using a dado cutter I would be very tempted to buy a 805.

If the guru Scrit came up with a safe way of using a dado cutter I would be very tempted to buy a 805.

If Scrit thinks like me, i don't think there will be a safe way

The only grooves or trenches I cut on the cabinets I make are for the 6mm or 6.5mm backs. Even if I had a dado cutter, and was unconcerned about the safety issues, I would still use a router for this job, because it would be quicker than changing the blade in the table saw.

Presumably when these programmes are made, the time taken to change the blade over is edited out

John

johnelliott":3202eoj0 said:
Presumably when these programmes are made, the time taken to change the blade over is edited out
I'll bet it is. You can spend ages faffing around with shims and still be a cats whisker out. The best solution I've seen to this is the Dial-a-Width type approach taken by Freud with their SD600 series dado heads

cutting42":3202eoj0 said:
It is clear that the standard riving knife and guard assembly cannot be used when cutting a dado but can other guards be used. I assume the other area of risk is the fact that there are more saw blades in contact with the wood thereby increasing the risk of kickback.
Got it in one! Guarding is probably the biggest single problem. If you are using the dado head to produce a rebate at the edge of a work piece it should be relatively straightforward to add a top Shaw guard mechanism like this:

TopShawGuard.jpg

to the machine in order to apply downwards pressure AND act as a safety guard. A commercial overhead guard, such as the American Brett guard

B0001LQW7S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

provides adequate overhead guarding if properly adjusted, but fails singularly to address the need for downwards pressure. A Shaw guard on the other hand will overcome any tendency for the piece to tip or be accidentally lifted from the rear by the saw operator and be caught on the rising teeth (which is one thing that causes a kickback). A power feeder would achieve pretty much the same result. For narrower pieces where there may be difficulty in holding the work in against the fence a Shaw guard with a side pressure plate should be used:

FullShawGuard.jpg

or alternatively feather boards added for side pressure.

Note that to install the Shaw guard properly it should either be bolted to the top of the saw bench, or if mounted on the rip fence then the rip fence will need to be of a design, such as the fore and aft locking style used on older Wadkins and Startrites, that it cannot be lifted in the event of a kickback. Trade rated saws which were designed to be used with dado heads, such as the Wadkin PP and PK, tend to have heavy cast iron rip fence frames which are securely locked onto a 40 or 50mm diameter solid steel bar. Another thing you need to do is select timbers with no major knots and make sure thare are no cracks or voids (reasons two and three for kickback with a stacked dado head). But the fact that a stacked dado saw head is not an anti-kickback design means that there will always be some inherent risk of kickback (and is the thing which effectively outlaws them in trade shops as a general-use tool - they simply don't meet current tooling/guarding regs). Scheppach/Kity actually have a head for their machines which is rather like a spindle moulder cutter block and is inherrently less likely to kickback, even without a Shaw guard in place

groovecutter.jpg

Above: The Scheppach 7986 2000 Adjustable groove cutter for use on Schepach TS series saws. Allows 5 to 9.8mm wide grooves to be cut, the larger 6320 8100 cutter allows 8 to 15mm wide grooves to be cut

and they recommend using a crown guard on a boom arm (the so-called SUVA guard after the Swiss insurance safety test laboratory which specified it) when using these cutters.

Below: Scheppach 5460 1100 SUVA Guard

suvaatt.jpg

Scheppach aren't the only people with this type of approach, Felder/Hammer offer a couple of anti-kickback spindle-moulder type groove cutters available for use on their saws, designed for use with an overhead (SUVA-type) guard, however they are fixed groove width design.

The biggest problem, however, comes when you want to use a stacked dado head the produce a through housing in the middle of a piece, such as you would require for a bookcase. Here it becomes almost impossible to guard adequately so that the top of the blade is covered AND provide downwards pressure. It would require some form of boom mechanism with a wide Shaw guard mounted on it and I can see problems in building that - getting enough clearance and sufficient rigidity into the structure to resist a kickback would probably require it to be ceiling mounted. Perhaps someone can come up with an alternative design such as a crosscut carraige with clamping and top guards where the travel can be limited?

It is for this reason that I and others regard a radial arm saw and a dado head as a safer option for cutting through housings or trenching.

As yet I haven't mentioned the other problem with dado heads - braking. All modern table saws are designed with a motor brake, generally either mechanical or electronic (DC injection) which stops the blade rotation in under 10 seconds. With a stacked dado set there is a question about how you are going to lock that cutter set onto the arbor so that it won't move (nut unscrewing) under braking and in doing so inadvertently turn the chippers into the woodworking equivalent of Bruce Lee's ninja stars! At the very least a second nut, or lock nut, needs to be added to the arbor to reduce the risk of the one nut unscrewing itself under braking. It may also be found that the brake is totally ineffective when trying to brake the greater weight if the dado set. Take the brake off or disable it and (at least in a commercial shop) you again have an illegal saw.

I would also appreciate any advice on this as like bramers and others here I am sure have not been around woodworking long enough to hear the historical reasons why dados have such a bad press. I have done a bit of a search and seen lots of opinions for and against but not why?
Well that's about as positive as I can be, I'm afraid. I try to have respect for the machinery I use and my comments about limiter tooling are based very much on the experience I had of sticking a thumb into a large diameter cutter on a pin router - being a limiter cutter my thumb was thrown out (not before getting 20+ lacerations), non-limiter tooling such as the dado head will tend to draw fingers, etc in and generate hamburger - the sort of stuff that can't be sewn back on or stitched up, like a circular saw blade only worse. Remember that before using one.

Apologies to those who's derriers are now bored off by the whole subject :oops: .....

Scrit

Scrit":5qln2ot3 said:
Apologies to those who's derriers are now bored off by the whole subject :oops: .....

Scrit

Many thanks for a (very) well informed and balanced summary of the use of Dado blades, just what I needed and has made me think hard about using them.

I have tried using my router with very little success, probably down to my poor jig and the intense noise and the trashing of an expensive cutter in mdf. I will be making a Shaw top guard to lock into the RHS Mitre guide as a matter of course before using the Dado and the picture is excellent, thanks.

What a great resource this forum is.[/quote]

cutting42":39kz1ym2 said:
I have tried using my router with very little success, probably down to my poor jig and the intense noise and the trashing of an expensive cutter in mdf.

I'm surprised to hear you have had problems cutting dados with a router, what exactly seems to be the problem?
There are a number of approaches possible for any particular width of dado required, perhaps if you gave us the numbers we could suggest something

John

Hi John

I was trying to cut 18mm wide by 9mm deep dados in 18mm mdf to build a simple tool cabinet set for the wksp. I had a part used CMT 18mm straight sided router bit in my router and screwed a straight length of mdf to the board as a guide. Progress was slow, noisy and I struggled to keep the cutter tracking straight despite sliding the router against the direction or rotation. I screwed in a second guide to stop this and then and I think the cutter must have overheated as it would not cut as well as before and was discoloured.

I did finish the job but watching Norm use the Dado blades made me think how much easier that would be which led me to the Xcaliber a805 and order for a stacked dado set and my question above.

johnelliott":3jfhcad3 said:
[
I'm surprised to hear you have had problems cutting dados with a router, what exactly seems to be the problem?
There are a number of approaches possible for any particular width of dado required, perhaps if you gave us the numbers we could suggest something

John
Some of the problems are
1. You are cutting a dado for 18mm Mdf or ply and using the 18mm cutter the fit is lose so you use a 1/2 cutter to do the job. To do a good cut you don't cut the 9mm debate in a single cut so you start at say a 4mm cut and then 9mm and then move the cutter to achieve the remaining 17/18mm of the cut.
It requires pressure to be applied over the cutter to get the depth right - I use a Gripper to apply pressure over the cutter ( save the fingers) but most time I cut it twice to get the fit right. Feather boards don't work with the larger boards
2. You want to cut the dado/trench 600mm to 1000mm from the end of the board - a pain with most router tables.
3. supporting the larger boards on the router table - not a problem with a sliding table on the saw.
4. Norm makes it look so easy
Thanks
barry

Also - due to the direction of rotation, router cutters are always trying to pull the router to the left when the router is being used in hand held mode & viewed from above, so if youre running the router base against a guide board its important to have the guide board on the left of the router when pushing the router away from you.

From your description, Gareth, it sounds as though you had the guide board on the other side of the router base & were having to fight with the router to force it back against the guide board all the time. The burning would have been due to moving the router too slowly through the MDF, probably partly because you were having to fight with it, and partly because it sounds like you were trying to take a full depth cut in one go.

Richard

Back