DADO ADVICE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it definitely a bottom cutting bit, rather than a trimming type of straight bit that doesn't have the cutter across the base?

That just doesn't sound right at all.

Hi All

Many thanks for the hints and tips. The cutter was a bottom cutting one (I did have the same thought when the probs first occurred and double checked. I was trying the "bite" the whole 9x18 dado in one hit which sounds pretty much like the biggest mistake. This also was a handheld router cut as I have no router table yet, one of many items I will get at some point.

I willl try again, once again thanks for the tips, all taken on board.

So much to learn

Scrit that's the best description of the problems/dangers of using dado cutters that I've seen since getting back into woodwork as a Norm wannabe - much more useful than some of the "don't do it 'cos I say so" comments - any chance of a moderator stickying it (we all know how many hits dadoing gets :))

Can I be a pedant and make a plea for the use of the English terms "rebate" and "through housing"? I know we refer to the tooling as a dado head (why?) but look in any English textbook and you won't see the joint it cuts referred a "dado" to my knowledge

Scrit

I'm with you on this nomenclature thing Scrit. I find I'm getting a bit tired of seeing people talking about rabbets and dado's and other Americanisms in UK forums: particularly when many using the term dado aren't talking about a dado (housing or trench) at all, but are describing a groove, channel or slit.

That Knock-it-Out-Nail-Gun-Norm hack and the invidious influence of his shows with their generally cavalier attitude to safe working practices has a lot to answer for. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":2cjvqiao said:
That Knock-it-Out-Nail-Gun-Norm hack and the invidious influence of his shows with their generally cavalier attitude to safe working practices has a lot to answer for. Slainte.

Hear, hear.

Still, his work is a bit better than Handy Andy's.

Sgian Dubh":2u9gx1rv said:
I'm with you on this nomenclature thing Scrit. I find I'm getting a bit tired of seeing people talking about rabbets and dado's and other Americanisms in UK forums

Well said, that was actually a thread about 'shop vacs' recently (I think it was actually about workshop vacuums)

John

Martyn, I have a concern about the statement you made about the nut tightening during use. I think you'll find that the nut actually UNTIGHTENS in use, albeit unnoticable!

Dicky

Fair comment on the woodwork terms - but how are people supposed to know which are american terms and which apply to the UK? Surely the important thing is that people are taking up tools and making thing? The last thing I'd want to see is someone being put off by criticisms of the terms he/she uses.

Kane":1ps8t8kc said:
Fair comment on the woodwork terms - but how are people supposed to know which are American terms and which apply to the UK? Surely the important thing is that people are taking up tools and making thing? The last thing I'd want to see is someone being put off by criticisms of the terms he/she uses.
Well, they could always try reading an English book or two...... :shock: You know, one of those paper things with black squiggles on them. :wink: And whilst we are on the subject, young Brammers, the word is "advice"

Scrit

bramers wrote
CAN I ASK FOR A FEW TIPS ON DADO USING, PLEASE, NO FUNNY ANSERS

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF ARBOR YOU NEED TO COME THROUGH, I JUST RAN A DADO THROUGH MDF AND IT WAS 18MM WIDE AND THERE WAS 1MM OF ARBOR LEFT IS THAT OR

JUST POST SOME GOOD IDEAS AND SOME INFO THAT CAN HELP ME CUT GOOD AND SAFE D'S

THANKS

Firstly, I know my cheap power tools are loud, but you dont have to shout :lol:

Secondly, Thankyou Scrit a most informative post on the use of Dado cutters..

Thirdly, i would agree with Newbe_Neil on the use of templates and a Router.

but in the great scheme of things, each to his (or her) own.

I like to see correct spelling as much as the next man who does... ermm like to see it, and if I knew what it was, I like to see good grammar. I also like to think that as long as whoever it is, gets their message across, then the point of the forum is acheived. If we are to act as "english" teachers we put ourselves on too high (or should that be higher, no) a pedestal, from which we can only fall.

Bramers that would be Bramers with one "m" makes up for it in enthusiasm and that's what counts. :) We are dealing with the subject of wood and it's abuse, after all. Not the abuse of the english language.

Cheers Alan

OK, then, define a "planer" or a "moulder" (machines) - there is a potentially misleading difference between what an American and an English-speaker means by the terms. If you want to describe something accurately, you need to know the nomenclature, that's all, dude :lol:

Scrit

Scrit":2bdicrc8 said:
OK, then, define a "planer" or a "moulder" (machines) - there is a potentially misleading difference between what an American and an English-speaker means by the terms. If you want to describe something accurately, you need to know the nomenclature, that's all, dude :lol:

Scrit

I agree with Scrit here, I think there is a difference between getting a technical term correct or at least relevant to the local audience and general grammar and spelling.

However Netiquette generally dictates that posters should not criticise spelling/grammar unless this makes the meaning unclear or the forum/topic in question is about spelling and grammar! This is typically because the nature of the online experience is of a rapid written note or comment where typo’s and general errors are not important to the topic notwithstanding the outstanding pieces of copy written by Scrit here and by many others which are a pleasure to read.

I work for an American company and after 21 years of trying to get them to speak and spell correctly :wink: have realised it is a pointless exercise :lol: :lol: :lol: Also we adopt a huge number of words and phrases from America in normal non-woodworking life therefore it comes as no surprise that the US woodie terms transfer as well. Most of my recent woodworking education so far has come from forums and TV programmes where the terms shop, dado, housing, rebate, rabbit??? for a few examples are all used interchangeably.

Netiquette also says that typing in CAPS is regarded as "shouting" and should not be used unless you do wish to shout at someone, and anyway this is regarded as rude in real life as well. Please do not take offence at this Bramers as it was news to me when I first started and just want to make sure you knew as well. I equally know how easy it is to hit the Caps Lock key whilst typing and send a stream of capitals by mistake.

Scrit":2mzl1zxb said:
Kane":2mzl1zxb said:
Fair comment on the woodwork terms - but how are people supposed to know which are American terms and which apply to the UK? Surely the important thing is that people are taking up tools and making thing? The last thing I'd want to see is someone being put off by criticisms of the terms he/she uses.
Well, they could always try reading an English book or two...... :shock: You know, one of those paper things with black squiggles on them. :wink: And whilst we are on the subject, young Brammers, the word is "advice"

Scrit

Lol yes I remember books - they're those things that come with .pdf on the end of the file name :lol:

cutting42":1am14bgq said:
rabbit???
Rabbet... :-$ 8-[ Sorry; generally I do try and steer clear of this sort of thing, but even the 'Murricans chuckle when some spells it that way.

On the subject of correcting English, is not Steve Maskery an example to us all? Don't do it unless you're up for being corrected about every little slip you make for ever afterwards... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Who was making a housing (or maybe a trench?) with a combination plane set up - as per instructions - for dadoing. Seemed to work just the same. :D

After the meanderings, at length, about the vaguaries of netiquette and the (ab)use of our native tongue, can I bring this back on topic (another no no, going off topic...... :roll: ) with this?

DadoJig1.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality and errors, but it's my very first attempt at Sketchup and I think it conveys the general impression. I'm sure I'll improve in time........ :? . The basic concept is similar to a crosscut carraige - a wide "channel" section running on a bar which fits into the mitre slots. The top section would need to be something like 6 to 10mm acrylic or polycarbonate secured to the fore and aft fences. The differences would be:

- the addition of a cross guard. I reckon that you need one of these anyway to avoid potential contact with an exposed saw blade

- that there would need to be some sort of hold-down mechanism for the stock, say a pair of toggle cramps or cam cramps

- that there would need to be some sort of limiter stop so that it is not possible to push the jig so far across the saw bench that the blade was exposed at the end of the clear "tunnel"

- that there would nee to be some form of sacrificial insert in the aft fence to act as a sort pf zero clearance insert to reduce spelching

The idea is in its infancy. Anyone care to comment?

Scrit

I've no real problem with using the correct words it just seems to become a way to exclude rather than include (not having a go at anyone here but I've seen it on a lot of boards) and just because most peoples exposure to woodworking comes through an american program doesn't mean people should be belittled for using what, to some, is incorrect terminology - if you care that much put a warming on the board saying "British terminology only" or add a glossary as required reading.

Id much prefer that people cared sufficiently to spell correctly. If your spelling is that bad use a spellchecker. I can live with American terminology if I must. To be honest I couldnt / wasnt prepared to invest the effort to read past the first line of Bramers original post in this thread.

Back