D&M Tool Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I went along to the D&M Tool Show at Kempton Park this morning. I thought it was quite good. There were some deals there for those interested in buying - even Trend had a deal on a diamond sharpening kit :shock: :shock: I had been warned in advance by SWMBO not to spend so I was looking mainly :cry: :cry:

However, I did buy a straight edge http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... c=C_106_42 and a couple of sets of bar gauge heads http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... c=N%203101 from Martin at BriMarc. I find the bar gauge heads really useful when doing internal measurements. (I'd had permission beforehand to buy these 8) )

The demonstration of the Tormek was very convincing and if I was in the market for one I would have been very tempted. Had another ogle at the Mafell KSS 300 saw and guide system - a cracking piece of kit. Also looked at the demo of the Fein Multimaster - must get one sometime.

Had a moan at a bloke on the Stanley stand at the lack of magnetic bit holders for Stanley spiral ratchet screwdrivers - I think he thought I was a bit old fashioned :lol:

Met Barry Burgess and had a chat - also a bloke I used to work with, which was nice.

Overall not a bad show - but not a lot in the way of hand tools (apart from BriMarc of course 8) ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'm off there today to take a look round.

"Need" to pick up a veritas mk11 camber roller and some clamps.

Thinking of picking up a bevel up smoother as well but not sure if I should wait and spend a bit more for a LN, after all probably only ever need one, so would probably always regret not getting the best even though the veritas is good in it's own right. Decisions, decisions..........

Cheers, Paul. :D

Chisel,

BriMarc seemed to have all the Veritas planes there (and some wood), so you should be able to have a good play with it :wink:

Cheers

Paul

chisel":2o9tpxyf said:
Thinking of picking up a bevel up smoother as well but not sure if I should wait and spend a bit more for a LN, after all probably only ever need one, so would probably always regret not getting the best even though the veritas is good in it's own right.
Ha hum... I should read the review, it'll point out the differences, and then go and try the Veritas.

Cheers, Alf

Hey Alf, great review.

Have you thought of doing more of them.......very useful indeed although unfortunately I didn't read it till I got home from the show just now :lol:

Managed to get the last camber roller in the place, minus a box, cause it was the one they were using on the stand and they had run out of stock yesterday on the first day of a three day show :roll: This is after I couldn't get one from Mike Hancock at Westonbirt because his promised delivery hadn't arrived in time for that show. Sometimes it's hard to spend your money despite all your efforts :lol:

Tried the BUS and the newer coffin shaped version taking a few shavings with both, and really wanted to like them, not least as they have held the prices for the show, after which I think they are all going up 10 to 15%, but whilst being indisputably well made and effective planes they just didn't feel right to me. Hard to explain but didn't feel natural in use. Don't know if it was the tote shape/angle as you mention in the review, could well have been. Also didn't warm to the way the mouth adjustment worked and prefer having a lever below the front knob as I couldn't quite tell what was happening with the Veritas when I loosened the front knob.

Was undecided on the BUS and went for a look round elsewhere and discovered that I could get the old industrially rated Makita electric chainsaw from their stand at 25% off normal price, so that made my mind up and went for that instead. Can't get as smooth a finish as with the BUS mind you, :shock: :lol: but great for roughing out my turning blanks and larger logs in the workshop when I can't be bothered to get the big petrol beast out !!!

Picked up some more of the essential Bessey clamps on the way out and that was all my pocket money spent for the moment.

Perhaps Santa will send me a LN BUS from overseas sometime soon, should be able to get a good deal given the exchange rates at the moment, and better still if it turns out to be duty free as well but don't know if I'll get that lucky !

It was a killer mate but i had to leave , i was like a woman in a shoe shop :shock: I noticed Ron (Ronnie the router) Fox was demonstrating the DeWalt routers and Bessey had some great looking clamps but they ain't cheap . I just hope the ones i bought don't disappoint me . The Bessey guy assures me they clamp up as tight as a trad sash clamp with a bar handle but i cant see it :-k

Hi JFC,

Which clamps did you get ?

If the K Body clamps then think you will be very happy with them, but let us know.

They are expensive, so I tend to just buy a couple every now and then and before you know it you have more than you realise, although never enough of course !

Paul it was the K body 800 ones . I was going to go for the bigger ones but they are a pain if your clamping alot of smaller doors and stacking them high . I find sometimes you need that extra nip on a clamp and a bar handle clamp lets you do that . I suppose i could always drill a hole through the handle and insert a bar if i need to :D I hope i don't need to though :wink:

jason in my experience over about 3 years now, the hand pressure on the k bars is enough to snug down dodgy mdf joints very well thank you
and you do not need the extra grip of a bar across.

i think it is to do with the design of when it comes to pressure.

another point though, in my experience, storing them with the head to the floor is not the most sensible way since it seems to make the system stick slightly. if i could, i would either hang them from the top, i.e use the clamp to hold the bar vertically off a shelf, or horizontal with the jaws down.

any i think you will like them jason. 8)

paul

Dodgy joints ? Me ? 8-[ So your saying they will give that extra nip ? Its just a friend of mine wants to know . Ill find out next week and tell him but he wants to know as he may go and buy some more ... i mean buy some tomorrow . My friend that is , not me , no way sir , not me .

as if i would suggest that you make dodgy joints :twisted: :roll: :lol:

however, i am sure that occasionally within your "workshop" certain
pieces become slightly less than flat, and could do with the "just so"
settling :lol: :lol:

well i have certainly found that a judicious use of two k bars is the way to go. do one, and try to use the length of the flat surface to nip the joint, then put another along side, and give that an extra nip hand strength onest guv, and remove the first, the joint is tighter, and still only
done by hand. remember that k bars are designed to provide an amazing
amount of pressure.

anyway i am sure your friend(nod, nod,wink,wink) :roll: will find them
great. they are easier in my view to use than bar clamps. and very effective, but since i make a mess of holes in veneered board what do i know :cry: :oops:

paul :wink:

JFC":3w4w96yo said:
](*,) ](*,) I promised myself i wouldn't go .
1 Bessey folding locking utility knife
This was the first show I didn't leave with any clamps, but I did get the Bessey folding utility knife. What a cracking design! If you've not seen it, here it is:
Folded, front view - note circular rubber thumb pressure pad. Overall length folded is 102mm
bk01.jpg

Folded, rear view - note really effective and easy-to-engage belt clip
bk04.jpg

Open - overall length 160mm.
bk02.jpg

Blade changing mechanism opened.
bk03.jpg

Five spare blades in handle. Also seen are the blade cavity release button and the fold lock bar.
bk05.jpg

Ray.

I thought it was a good design until i held it upright and pushed the blade lock down . Guess what ...... The blade came down right on my finger , lucky i had that little plastic guard on ! Still a cool tool .

Stanley pah! This was a bargin at £9.99 RRP £25 i think . It takes a stanley knife blade :lol:

Oh dear JFC surely your not taking any notice of MRRP's, other wise you'll end up believing that a dw625 costs £465!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back