Cyclone extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan6000

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to buy a Clearvue CV1800 extractor and have it shipped over from America. I just wanted to check that there are no similar products available in the UK. I have looked into the Axminster cyclone extractors but they seem to be significantly less powerful and I worry about the quality. Apart from the Axminster extractors I can't seem to find any other alternatives, any advice would be gratefully received (Apologies if I have posted this question in the wrong section).

Thanks,

Ryan.

Not sure what your capacity requirements are, but the Dust-Mite II works very well. You can find them on eBay. There's a similar one called 'Dust Commander', which also has a couple of variants. You can also find the Draper all-in-one cyclone on there, too.

The CV1800 looks a bit expensive to me, unless I'm missing something, or you're in a serious industrial environment where nothing else could cope.

Cheers
Stu

I have two Cyclone Extractors, the Dust Commander DLX which is great for shop vacs or household vacuums and a 100mm Cyclone Central one which I use with my SIP 01929 1.5HP Dust Extractor with 100mm hose.

I built the Cyclone Central one in an evening after watching the Peter Parfitt video a couple of times, the only bit I had a problem with was the forming of the cone and it would definitely pay to have someone to help you with this bit, I did it on my own but used a number of clamps to assist me. I then left it for about 36 hours (only because it was raining and most of my woodwork is done outside) before using it. One thing you will have to make is a vacuum release valve, as the vacuum formed in the cyclone is sufficient to implode it if the hose should get blocked.

Of the two I have, the Dust Commander DLX is the more substantial in terms of build quality (due to its smaller size and construction from a type of nylony plastic) but the Cyclone Central is the better of the two for use on a larger (100mm) dust extractor units but is made from a type of acrylic which does not seems as robust as the Dust Commander.

Both work as designed and greatly reduce the amount of dust/debris that makes it into the extractor units, which saves costs on replacing bags and filters and as my drop-box is a 45 gallon drum means less opening to remove the waste.

I built one of these http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm in a steel container using some plumbing bits and some MDF, happy to send photos, but it'll look like most of the other people's ones on that site.

Works brilliantly and sits on top of my Festool vac. Probably cost about £20 to make?

I've not changed a bag in the vac for well over a year now.

Ryan6000 said:
Hi,

I am planning to buy a Clearvue CV1800 extractor and have it shipped over from America. I just wanted to check that there are no similar products available in the UK.

Ryan,

The UK lacks the infrastructure available in the US to create these things at a reasonable price, quality and performance. Thus we are thrown back on our native ingenuity or must buy less effective equipment. A version of rip off Britain in action.

UK cyclones of any ability are industrial in nature and expensive.

The critical part of a cyclone is the impeller and the motor to drive it. The design of these determines the amount of air moved. So a 15 inch impeller and a minimum 2hp motor is about the lower limits. However, what we can do is achieve a cyclone using Cyclone Central DIY assembly and a 2hp or 3hp bagged chip collector as the sucker.

For small equipment eg sanders, drills, routers etc you need to move to a device more like a vacuum and attach it as needed. So 2 devices are needed. The first cyclone like device will not need a drop box or Thein separator. The second could use a small drop box and many can be seen here if you search.

If you don't want the Cyclone Central device then you have little option but to buy from abroad.

Al

Back