Quantcast

Cutting threads on Handle bolts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring several Stanley hand planes.

I also have a Turner #4 which has a red cellular acetate knob and handle.

The handle bolt appears to have been damaged, and needs re-threading.

Can anyone tell me what thread specification Turner used?

Is it possible to buy dies for both the Stanley and Turner bolts, and if so, where do I get them from?

TIA.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if anyone knows the thread that Turner used as it's not a brand that comes up here often! I only know the Turners from pictures but they're attractive and look well made so best of luck with it, could be a really solid and good-looking addition to the collection. What condition are the handles in?

First simple check to do is to see if the Turner nuts fit older Stanley rods, or the Turner rods will screw fully into an older Stanley nut or body casting. If so you'll know that Turner, like many others, just copied the Stanley threads, odd and out of date though they were. You can find the threads Stanley used easily online.

For the Stanley planes you're working with do be aware that the vintage and origin of them is important. Very late Stanleys from the UK have metric threads.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
You may not need a die at all BTW. I'm sure I'm not the only member who has restored many planes without needing one.

If the damage is not severe you might be able to touch up carefully with a triangular needle file. Cosmetics aren't important here and these aren't tight tolerances you're dealing with, the thread can look a little mangled but still work.

Often the top of the thread is all that is damaged and removing the folded-over steel just at the tip of the triangle can be sufficient to allow the bolt or screw to be driven home. Handle nuts don't have to be tightened and loosened regularly so if what you end up with is still a little stiff it's no big deal.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
ED65,

The handles had only light scratches on them. Below, is a photograph of the re-polished knob.

I have a set of metric taps and dies, but assumed that I need Imperial ones for my old planes.

I have tried placing the Turner nuts on a Stanley rod but they don't fit and vice versa :(

PolishedKnob.jpg

Attachments

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Where, and approx when, was the Turner made?
The thread might be Whitworth.

Bod

samhay

Established Member
Reaction score
That knob takes me back.
Turner was an Aussie company. Does the plane have an aluminium frog?
Either way, it was probably made as Australia was moving towards the metric system, so thread could be Imperial or metric.

Edit, Bod best me to it.
I'm pretty sure you could buy Turner planes into the 70s, but these may have been old stock.
Edit 2, yes, Turner made it to 1970.
https://www.htpaa.org.au/hand-tools/aus ... rner-tools

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
ZippityNZ":1qfuc0y1 said:
ED65,

The handles had only light scratches on them. Below, is a photograph of the re-polished knob.
Ah excellent, I was going to say if they're just lightly scratched they can be brought back to like-new condition!

I'm very fond of the few chisels I have with handles of this material, I imagine I'd get on well with it on plane handles and they're certainly winners in the looks department IMO, although I imagine they're like Marmite (love or hate).

ZippityNZ":1qfuc0y1 said:
I have tried placing the Turner nuts on a Stanley rod but they don't fit and vice versa :(
Have any metric nuts and bolts around? Try 'em and see.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
ZippityNZ":1zyih3sq said:
10-28 UNS?

Is that the size I want?

I read somewhere, 12-20 was the size :(
Ignore me!

I've been and checked and the small size I linked to was for some Stanley thumbscrews, not what you need.

Go with the other advice, sorry.