Stanley 4 1/2 Tote screw thread size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

A quick question I hope.

Anyone know what the thread size is for the front tote screw on a Stanley 4 1/2 plane.

Just picked one up for restoration and that screw is missing.

Anyone know what the thread size would be.

Thanks.

Paul

Last edited:
If it's a U.S. made plane or an older English Stanley (before ~1980) it's 7/16" 20 tpi (often referred to as 12-20). Not a size you can buy at the local hardware store, unfortunately.....
Cheers,

I also need one (for a Number 7) and was about to ask the same question, to which - after a bit of searching - I've discovered the answer.

The tote screw for older Stanley Record 4-1/2 , 5, 5-1/2, 6 and Model 7 planes is a 'turnip' size - 3/16" x 20-thread, which is quite a coarse thread. (3/16" Whitworth is 24-thread, 1/4" Whitworth is 20-thread).

They can't be found 'off the shelf'.

However, small well-regarded UK company which caters for model makers known as 'BA Bolts' is now manufacturing the screws is response to enquiries. They're made in brass and are available from their eBay shop. Not cheap at £9.95 each (post free in the UK), but then for small batch production, it reflects the time involved.

Here's the link to the eBay listing:

Stanley Record Plane Handle -Tote Screw Fit 4-1/2,5,5-1/2 6 + 7 Spare New Build | eBay

Description:

Stanley - Record Plane Handle - Tote Brass Screw.
Fits - 4-1/2 , 5 - 5-1/2, 6 and Model 7.
Unit of Sale = One Screw.
Length is 5/8" measured from bottom of head to tip.
Will also supply a shorter version in production soon.

These are available for USA residents:

Stanley Plane Tote / Toe Screw Handle Screw 20 TPI 1/2" Long NEW *Rare Find! | eBay

$14.50

More modern Stanley Plane Tote / Toe Screw Handle Screw is METRIC: M5-0.8 32 TPI, a much finer thread. A US seller offers these:

Stanley Plane Tote / Toe Screw Handle Screw METRIC M5-0.8 32 TPI New Style | eBay

David.

If I could just get this clear. Is it the 7/32x20 brass screw that holds the handle/tote on or the silver domed headed screw that holds the lever cap on? I have the tap and die set for 7/32x20 which is around £25 on ebay so it would be cheaper to buy THIS threaded rod set also on ebay if it's only a one off.

1666947024088.png

If I could just get this clear. Is it the 7/32x20 brass screw that holds the handle/tote on or the silver domed headed screw that holds the lever cap on? I have the tap and die set for 7/32x20 which is around £25 on ebay so it would be cheaper to buy THIS threaded rod set also on ebay if it's only a one off.

View attachment 146043

None of those.

The screw that's being referred to is the screw that holds the end of the tote foot to the base of the plane as in the attached picture. I think some Stanley Record planes might not have that front screw, but I can't be sure. Quite why they go missing is anyone's guess. (On the No 7 plane I have, the bass nut that holds the tote on is missing too).

Attachments

• Stanley Record Plane front tote screw..png
    Stanley Record Plane front tote screw..png
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
The toe screw is also 7/32" 20tpi the same as the stud thread (& woops, I had a brain-fade above & typed "7/16 ", which would be slightly over-sized! :oops:)...

Cheers,

Back