Cutting Solutions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

white_sw

Established Member
Reaction score
Wanted some new blades for my Axi 1502 planer. Read somewhere on here about a company called Cutting Solutions. Looked them up and fire off an email. Had a prompt reply from a guy called Doug Perry who offered all the advice I needed. A very trusting company with great prices. I got 2 sets of blades for a little more than Axi wanted for 1 set. Doug explained they are on back order, so I placed the order. The new blades turned up before I expected and before any payment had been taken. Invoice followed and I made prompt payment via bank transfer. I can highly recommend the service and product provided by Cutting Solutions and Doug. In no way am I connected to Cutting Solutions, I'm just a happy customer. :p

So Doug, if you happen to be reading this, keep up the good work and service. Here's a big thumbs up for Cutting Solutions from me. =D>

Cheers,
Sam

Yes I used them as well. I liked the attitude.

Good value and service is never forgotten.

swimming in a sea of incompetence!!!!!!!

if you buy anything from doug, politely ask him to check everything......BEFORE he sends it to you.

i didn't.

just tried to put my new tct knives into my new cutter head and the edges of the knife and limiter are too close together to turn the alan key to tighten the knives.

also edges have not been cut parallel to the cutter head. why he even asked me to try and test them, i do not know. i think i can tell if something aint right.......there goes another hour wasted. also a small chip out of one of the knives....not that it matters because they are useless anyway.

good luck!

jeff

I've used Doug and found him to be excellent, sold me exactly what he said he had,gave me a great price, did not ask for payment before I received the goods and I recommended him to somebody else who seems equally pleased with the purchases they made. That's just my experience :wink:

jeffinfrance":1w868val said:
swimming in a sea of incompetence!!!!!!!

if you buy anything from doug, politely ask him to check everything......BEFORE he sends it to you.

i didn't.

just tried to put my new tct knives into my new cutter head and the edges of the knife and limiter are too close together to turn the alan key to tighten the knives.

also edges have not been cut parallel to the cutter head. why he even asked me to try and test them, i do not know. i think i can tell if something aint right.......there goes another hour wasted. also a small chip out of one of the knives....not that it matters because they are useless anyway.

good luck!

jeff

thanks Jeff,
as I have no idea what you are talking about perhaps you would be kind enough to post a couple of pictures so I can see what you mean.

parallel to the cutterhead?????????
what should be parallel to the cutterhead?
as you are in France I cant just pop over to see what you arte talking about.,

Sounds like the limiters and cutters are too long, as they are angled towards each other the gap left is not wide enough to get the allen key into.

Jason

Yes that is part of what is said, but I am surprised at that because they are standard knives.

the other bit about parallel is referring to relief angles on the knives which prevent burning and damaging the carbide and allow sufficient area for glue to be applied.

A PUBLIC LETTER OF APOLOGY

dear doug,

i am sorry.

my comments earlier were uncalled for and i should have waited for you to reply and given you an opportunity to respond to my query BEFORE i posted on this thread. i completely forgot it was a bank holiday there on monday and was awaiting your call. not that i've taken a bank hloiday apart from christmas and new year for two years.....but thats another story.

clearly i know little about cutting tongue and groove boards which is why i consulted an expert.

please forgive my lapse. after nearly 10 weeks of still unresolved problems with my last purchase (from felder, not you) my temper got the better of me.

finding good suppliers is difficult. i would rather not loose one i have just found due to some confusion. your pre sales service was second to none and hopefully so is your after sales service. your offer of a full refund, whilst a welcome guarantee, does not provide me with what i need.

in looking froward to a prompt resolution,

i remain,

yours sincerely,

jeff ruffell

I have asked you to return the knives, limitors and cutterhead so that I can check/see the problem myself.
I can then do whats necassary to resolve the situation.

hello doug,

the public part of my last post was the apology.

as you have decided to attempt to resolve this situation publicly, who am i to argue. who knows, maybe a lesson in customer service and the pitfalls of our global economy (hope your reading BB) can be learned by all.

sending them back wont exactly result in a prompt solution.

so i guess you are going to have to try to understand what i, and a few others seem to think is wrong with them. which incedentally, you wouldn't be needing to do, if you had checked them first.

i am sure the cutting face should be square, not set at an angle of 1.15 degrees. please enlighten me as to why i am wrong.

you could order some more, as the ones i have are no longer usable anyway, due to the chip taken out of them whilst trying to tighten them in the block. that way you could then see, with one of your stock blocks, why they could not be tightened. this might also hasten the the resolution as you could then just post the new knives (without the costly overseas postage of the block back and forth) and i could post the others back.....happy customer, invoice paid.

jeff

sorry.
I give up

I cant cure a problem on the angles that hasnt existed since these blocks were designed and given BG Test in Germany.
you will not listen to advise about cutting angles you dont understand.
the knives have been made to exacting tolerances (I accept the locking situation on the grub screw "may" not be correct)

as for the ones you have not being usable.....please leave that to a professional with over 20 years experience.
I repeat for the final time.....
send them back
in a few days I CAN resolve the percieved problem.

the knives will be on their way back to you tomorrow. i'm not saying they're unusable due to the angle as this may yet still be proved correct. one is unusable because of the chip taken out of it attempting to put it in the block.

anyway, if you are so convinced that these knives are right, why do you want them back so urgently. surely you should be allaying my doubts and advising me how they work.

i dont understand, because no-one has explained to me. please try, using your 20 years professional experience, why an angle of cut, 1.15 degrees off square will work.

as to advice, i've listened to yours in the past and it's got me a pair of knives that i cant tighten in the block and dont fit in the shiny wooden box you also supplied. loads of space in there for 40mm knives though!

i've laid my fair share of tongue and groove boards, knocked up quite a few tongue and grooved shutters too. all the meeting faces were square to the surface. it would appear that i am not the only one who doesn't see a reason for an angled meeting face of tongue and groove joint.

eagerly awaiting your polite response,

jeff

This is the exagerated sketch Jeff has done of the knives. As you can see by the measurement one side of the 50mm wide knife is 1mm shorter than the other. This means that the mating faces will be machined to an angle of 1.15 deg which with 25yrs of using a spindle I have not seen before, its certainly not clearance angle on the knives to prevent scorching, if anything the sides of the cutter may rub more on the acute angled parts

Doug says these are standard stock knives but Jeff says they were custom ground as he wanted them in TCT ?

Sketch shows knife at bottom and profile it is going to produce at the top

jeffknife.jpg

So what do the other regular spindle users think?

Jason

Just a thought regarding the knives being long. I don't know the actual size of Jeffs block but the smaller dia ones cannot take such a long knife.

For example a 96mm Whitehill block only has the option of 45mm long knives but the 125mm block can have 45 or 55mm long ones. Just wonder if the combination of block dia and knife length may be wrong

J

you cannot assume the profile on the knife is what will be produced on the timber.
the seating angles and hook on the cutterhead adjust what is produced.
when have you ever put the knife square against the timber and found if totally matches the profile?

I have repeatedly asked for the knives head and limitors to be returned for my inspection.
i will not discuss this further until that is done.

all other cutters i use reproduce exactly the profile offered by viewing. from my planer blades, my saws and my router cutters. it is a cutting edge spinning perpendicular to the sufrace. the effects of which can be calculated mathematically.

you know doug, you have not apologised once for this situation. a situation you could have prevented if you had opened the box before you sent them overseas to your client. which was the subject of my original rant, maybe i was right and my apology unnecessary. i will leave that to other readers to decide.

i think jason may have hit the nail on the head re the diameter of the block.

if you are not prepared to accept the fact that you and possibly your supplier, MAY have made mistakes here, then maybe you are not the supplier i am looking for.

why should i shell out to try and resolve something which is clearly not my fault, whilst all the time having to endure your insults to my intelligence.....and your rudeness to my wife on the telephone.

when i recieve your cheque for the postage costs, i will return all of it.

although something tells me this would not resolve the situation.

jeff

jeffinfrance":10q1bqou said:
all other cutters i use reproduce exactly the profile offered by viewing. from my planer blades, my saws and my router cutters. it is a cutting edge spinning perpendicular to the sufrace. the effects of which can be calculated mathematically.

you know doug, you have not apologised once for this situation. a situation you could have prevented if you had opened the box before you sent them overseas to your client. which was the subject of my original rant, maybe i was right and my apology unnecessary. i will leave that to other readers to decide.

i think jason may have hit the nail on the head re the diameter of the block.

if you are not prepared to accept the fact that you and possibly your supplier, MAY have made mistakes here, then maybe you are not the supplier i am looking for.

why should i shell out to try and resolve something which is clearly not my fault, whilst all the time having to endure your insults to my intelligence.....and your rudeness to my wife on the telephone.

when i recieve your cheque for the postage costs, i will return all of it.

although something tells me this would not resolve the situation.

jeff

Jeff

I've been reading this and to be honest Doc is right - whilst spectator sports like gawping at road crashes and rubber necking on the motorway is a fact of life - it still doesn't negate the fact that most who do it - need to grow up.

Most of us appreciate your having problems - but grow up and behave like an adult and not like some churlish child. As for your legal rights regarding mail-order, your in France so I suspect the Distance Selling regs are worthless. Doug's posts strike me as reasonable - I've never bought off the chap incidentally - whereas yours need to calm down and be a bit more reflective.

As for an apology - what do you want him to do - kneel down and kiss your @rse?

As Doc said - deal with it by PM.

Dibs

I would tend to agree with Doc and Dibs - this is a private matter which should be dealt with by PM or better yet phone. All we need to know is that there is an issue which is being dealt with and maybe an update when it has been resolved.

Jeff's responses so far have been confused - wanting urgent resolution and then querying why Doug wants the blades back so quickly, saying the blades will be in the post tomorrow and then refusing to return them until cash has been paid up front to cover the posting costs. No pictures just a sketch. The only thing that I see which could possibly engender this level of public angst is a comment around rudeness to Jeff's wife, though with the current temperature of the thread that could have been almost anything :?

Car crash internet thread at it's best, feel free to continue if you must but you're not coming out of this on anything resembling the moral high ground Jeff. :(

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back