Cutting Dados on a TS WITHOUT a Dado Head ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1288uy7m said:
As we all seem to be at it...

Sliding dovetail like Bob's (well actually not like Bob's- I bet his is a good fit :oops: It was tight and I took of just one molecule and now you can drive a bus through the gap :()

American Black Walnut and Ripple Sycamore, brass bolts, phenolic knobs. It's a bit long, I can see me cutting it down a bit.

Now where am I going to keep it?

Cheers
Steve

Surely any man capable of doing such fine work can easily make a little box to hold it? :lol:

FogggyTown":1dafkjdn said:
Surely any man capable of doing such fine work can easily make a little box to hold it? :lol:

I think I'd just embed a Neodymium magnet in it and stick it to the side of the TS.

I assume that all of these sorts of devices rely on using an unguarded blade of some description? If so, there might be one or two additions to Nikki's table saw thread :shock: - Rob

If you have an overarm blade guard or that cool magnetic guard Steve designed, there'd be no reason to remove it. Since this little thing is to be used for non-severing cuts, I guess you'd have to remove a riving knife-supported guard.

I know this will get some folks' small clothes in a twist but ...

I've removed the text that did. I had a momentary lapse.

Dave - there are nine threads on Nikki's post on separate table saw incidents that have happened in one week in the good 'ol US of A...seems to me that ya'll doing something wrong on your side of the pond ('scuse vernacular) - Rob

I'm not advising anyone to do what I do. I have had more injuries from hand tools than power tools in 40 some years of woodworking. Actually, other than the two incidences I mentioned, I've never had any other injuries from power tools. I am only talking about my own experience.

I would guess that every one of those accidents could have been avoided had the person just thought through the possibilities and options. Perhaps part of the reason I'm so slow at getting anything done in the shop is because I tend to think things through before I flip a switch. Fortunately it isn't a race for me.

Now Now let's not go down this very well trodden road. We're all responsible people here (ahem).

wizer":1ybyy3nw said:
Now Now let's not go down this very well trodden road. We're all responsible people here (ahem).

yep none of us would do anything as daft as to take all the safety guards off then stick our hand in the router ;)....... or for that matter try to rough down a big out of balance block with a 3/8 spindle gouge, snap it and jam the jagged broken end into our palm

oh no we've got far more sense ..... :whistle: :^o

My apologies. I'll refrain from talking about my shop in the future so as not to offend as that's the last thing I want to do.

And now. We return you to your regularly scheduled programme. :D

Thinks :idea:
Now this device allows stops/jigging to be independant of blade thickness. Could something similar be used with a router based morticing jig to allow for different cutter diameters??

xy

xy mosian":3iugvceu said:
Now this device allows stops/jigging to be independant of blade thickness. Could something similar be used with a router based morticing jig to allow for different cutter diameters??

xy

yes

wizer":36y7bfz2 said:
xy mosian":36y7bfz2 said:

xy

yes

It is not always easy to set a jig to the diameter of a router cutter especially single blade types. You might have to devise something involving a trial cut and then transferring that to a jig so two possible sources of error.

Bob

Hi Bob

I'm using this kind of jig to cut dados with the router...I can use any bit diameter - smaller than or equal to the dado width and it always gives me a very accurate dado...

The secret is in the measuring, marking and positioning methods...

A few picies...

01.jpg

10.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

Regards
niki

Thanks Niki,

But when it comes to dados the only way for me is on the table saw. Either I use a blade set designed for the job or nibble away with a standard blade especially now I have made the kerf jig.

I know this is not to everyones taste but ........

Bob

9fingers":1bd5ey6c said:
I know this is not to everyones taste but ........

Bob
It's also not everyones choice...

I cannot use a dado set on my TS...the arbor is short...

As I know, all the new generation TS's with the brake cannot use dado blade.

Regards
niki

Back