Cutting 4mm mild steel with jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little OTT don't you think ?
I haven't looked at the video (I have now) but did you read the @Dave Moore 's comments before the rant ?
"this is the way, but his safety isn't too good" etc. All the warnings are there.
I have added a note to emphasise his comments pending someone finding a better video that shows the same method but with the work clamped and the grinder properly guarded.
Yes, I read his correct comments and it is that reason I did not offer any criticism about him.
I requested supervisors/moderators to ban such dangerous videos.
Undoubtedly OTT on my part but my memory still retains views of 1960s+++accidents in Coventry and Birmingham general areas general engineering works, including car factories with some avoidable horrific ?? accidents.
I welcome you and other moderators considering my request to prohibit such videos.
I wait your considered reply.

MOD EDIT : @quintain I have changed the video concerned to a link rather than inline view.
Your views are welcome but sorry, I have to decline your request.
Let's all keep further discussion to the original subject of cutting 4mm mild steel sheet. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with using a grinder over jigsaw but for a one off its fine.
If you plan to do any more sheet metal stuff get nibbler for your drill. I bought one very cheap on ebay and its great, no sparks or fine dust. You need to clamp a guide to cut nice straight lines but it's a brilliant device.

Ollie

I agree with using a grinder over jigsaw but for a one off its fine.
If you plan to do any more sheet metal stuff get nibbler for your drill. I bought one very cheap on ebay and its great, no sparks or fine dust. You need to clamp a guide to cut nice straight lines but it's a brilliant device.

Ollie

Except for the fact that the "bolt-on" nibbler I bought for my drill is limited, as per the spec sheet to just UNDER 2mm sheet. I admit that with mine anyway, you CAN get away with 2mm sheet steel, but the 4mm sheet the OP is talking about, no way (not mine anyway). Of course there are "professional" nibblers around that would be quite happy with 4mm sheet steel, but A) AFAIK, they are NOT the "bolt-on to a drill" DIY machines, and B) like the metal cutting band saw suggested earlier in this thread are far too expensive to be sensibly considered for what we're all assuming will be a 1 off job.

Last edited:
Yes, I read his correct comments and it is that reason I did not offer any criticism about him.
I requested supervisors/moderators to ban such dangerous videos.
Undoubtedly OTT on my part but my memory still retains views of 1960s+++accidents in Coventry and Birmingham general areas general engineering works, including car factories with some avoidable horrific ?? accidents.
I welcome you and other moderators considering my request to prohibit such videos.
I wait your considered reply.

Yes, personally I agree that your reaction is OTT quintain.

As you yourself have said, a previous poster DID make a point of saying all the important things re safety. And you're quite right, safety IS of course VERY important, BUT:

After a good few years here, I find that generally speaking, posters on this Forum DO take a lot of care to point out hazards plus what can and should be done to prevent injury. And that applies to posts covering all sorts of cutting procedures for cutting all sorts of materials using all sorts of tools;

AND YET we still get to hear of accidents quite regularly (there's one thread with some - apparently - quite gory pix attached running now)!

So IMO anyway, the idea that "someone" on this Forum should/would/could take on the (no doubt unpaid - like the Mods) job of "safety censor" is not only totally unrealistic and impractical but would also do little or nothing to prevent accidents. At the very least posting "poor safety" vids and photos does give other members the chance to point out the inherent dangers being depicted.

So with respect Sir, my opinion is that your complaints are not only complete over-reaction but are also proposing a "solution" that is both impractical AND would possibly be counter-productive.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that the "bolt-on" nibbler I bought for my drill is limited, as per the spec sheet to just UNDER 2mm sheet. I admit that with mine anyway, you CAN get away with 2mm sheet steel, but the 4mm sheet the OP is talking about, no way (not mine anyway). Of course there are "professional" nibblers around that would be quite happy with 4mm sheet steel, but A) AFAIK, they are NOT the "bolt-on to a drill" DIY machines, and B) like the metal cutting band saw suggested earlier in this thread are far too expensive to be sensibly considered for what we're all assuming will be a 1 off job.
This is true I had not considered its thickness limitations. I was just impressed with its function especially at the price.

This is true I had not considered its thickness limitations. I was just impressed with its function especially at the price.

Yup, mine IS good. But just be careful of the little "crescents" that the nibbler produces (instead of swarf or dust). They stick to the soles of your shoes like nobody's business and you end up treading them ALL over the house! (DAMHIKT)! :oops:

A little OTT don't you think ?
I haven't looked at the video (I have now) but did you read the @Dave Moore 's comments before the rant ?
"this is the way, but his safety isn't too good" etc. All the warnings are there.
I have added a note to emphasise his comments pending someone finding a better video that shows the same method but with the work clamped and the grinder properly guarded.
Hi,
Also wear safety goggles, I actually recommend a clear rated visor becasue if a grinder grabs it can hit you in the face, especially a 9” grinder. Also ear protection and if you still have it a handle but these don’t last long. Welders don’t use them because they restrict getting in to clean welds out between runs. Also a mask and by now you cannot see because your visor or goggles has steamed up due to wearing a mask! The best way is to wear an air fed visor but by now I think you’ve run out of money as the industrial ones are about £1000. Hold the grinder on your left side with the edge of the disc on the left of the cutting line so the sparks are going down to the ground. Anything else? If you really copy this guy’s safety techniques then you really shouldn’t be using a grinder at all!
If I was still at work, I would make you a video and make it silly person proof if that is at all possible. Safety equipment is the last line of defence when one has done a risk assessment and removed as many dangers as possible, it is not the first line of defence! I have completed hundreds of risk assessments and method statements but none are silly person proof. If you are an silly person I suggest you take up knitting.
Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited:
Back