Cross Cut Saw Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":zqhsl1i4 said:
Ooo, bet Scrit's gonna be all over this one like a rash. :D
And thank you to all of those who PMd or emailed, too...... (you know who you are)

It's an Oliver. They were made in Manchester and the company was a break away from the American Oliver company in the 1920s(?). See the OWMM site for details of the progenitor firm. I've seen examples of this saw at several closing down auctions in the Manchester area in recent years, the British Oliver haven't made woodworking machines for many years and are now in the Stockport area where they manufacture sheet metalworking equipment.

That's all folks.....

I'll climb back in the box now, shall I?

Scrit

Thanks for the replys everyone. The machine looks like its gonna be a belter.
Only one problem though, I don't have 3phase supply at my house.
I guess I'M gonna have to but a converter or inverter unless any body knows a way around this?

Omega1

Hi Omega1,

Looks like a good bit of machinery you are now the owner of, have you got it in to the workshop yet? It looks very heavy. :shock:

You will need some way of producing 3 phase as swapping the motor is not an option, but once sorted out you should be well setup. \:D/

omega1":abw02hqt said:
Only one problem though, I don't have 3-phase supply at my house. I guess I'm gonna have to but a converter or inverter unless any body knows a way around this?
The only way to convert this saw is to use an inverter. With a blade that size I'd also suggest fitting a DC injection brake (about £125+VAT for the module) or a "home" position guard/chip catcher and automatic return mechanism which will return the carraige to a safe non-working position as soon as you release the handle. As your going up to Clitheroe why not drop in at Calderbrook Woodworking Machinery in Bacup or VWM at Trawden near Colne? Either of them can supply a return device. This isn't me being a nanny, either. A blade that size will continue spinning for quite some minutes after the motor has been powered down and if you forget it's still spinning and stick something in the blade by accident (piece of timber pushed down a bench for example) it can sometimes cost more than a change of underwear..... :shock:

Scrit

Thanks for the info scrit. I collected the saw on friday and I am now busy trying to restore it. When I visited the place I also walked with a table saw from a company called whitehead. I will have to collect this at another time unfortunately. Do you have any infirmation on this company?

Whitehead's were based in Halifax and made machines up to the about the 1970s - mostly emblazoned with their "Junior -- WHITEHEAD -- Machinery" logo . They were sold through companies like Parry's in London. Generally what you'd call a second-string manufacturer much in the same ilk as Cooksley or Metalclad (or nowadays possibly Sedgwick), i.e. they manufactured the general joinery type machines like rip saws, overhand planers, thicknessers and morticers but kept away from the more complicated stuff like 4-side moulders, pin routers, etc. although they did make a 3-sided throughfeed moulder based on their 12 x 9in thicknesser. Most of the machines I've seen are cast iron base machines and very heavy and simple so nothing much to go wrong. Which model of saw did you get - I've got some catalogue info (in a Parry's catalogue of the late 1950s) on Whitehead kit, albeit not very much

Scrit

Hi Scrit

Many thanks for the info. I don't know the model number yet, but the saw currently has a 12" blade in it. It also has a tilting table instead of a tilting arbour. I am a bit unsure about this feature. I will probably be picking the saw up in the next 10 days.

Omega1

Back