Craft Fair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
Wish me luck, I am doing my own stall at my first Craft Fair this Sunday at The Golden Pheasant in a village called Etton just a few miles north of Peterborough.

It can go one of 2 ways, either I will sell nothing and change my hobby or I'll return home with a few hundred smackers and spend the rest of my life in the workshop.

Good luck Martin, unfortunately I am busy this weekend otherwise I would have come in to see you.

john

Good luck Martin, but if it doesn't earn you the Roller don't dispare!

We did quite a number of craft fairs, some of which didn't cover the cost of the table and others where you thought Oh my gawd what the hell are we doing here that almost cleared me out!

You can never tell juat what people are looking for? What type of stuff are you going to be selling?

I have been involved with Craft Fairs for the last 6 years and have given. On many occasions I have come away having not covered the cost of the table and materials.
I don't want to put the dampers on your enterprise but be aware that after 6 years I have come to the conclusion that "Joe Public" want top quality at Boot Sale prices!
Best of luck and look forward to hearing how you got.
John

Well, I went to the Fair and there was 15 stalls all selling different wares.

Here is my stall
fair1.jpg

And one with me, sorry about the quality, the other half took it.

fair2.jpg

It seemed that most of the people that visited just wanted to pass the time but there were quite a few that were interested and picked up one of my cards, the good news is that I sold 2 Clocks 3 Tissue Boxes and 1 Bread Board, because it was held in the grounds of a pub I had a few pints of Guinness :D

Well done Martin,

The first one is always the hardest but there is nothing more satisfying than selling something.

Roger

Hi Martin

Excellent start!

You may have thought that people were still browsing but word of mouth is the best vehicle for reputation and a good reputation leads to sales.

Good luck with the future...nice work.

Jim

Congrats Martin. One tip, take the prices off. People tend to home in on a price and then just avoid. If they have to ask, you can strike up a conversation. Once people know what's gone into a piece, they'll be more willing to part with money. Plus you can give them options. e.g you can do this clock in that wood with that detail, etc.

Well done though, I'd say you did very well.

wizer":1619i62e said:
Congrats Martin. One tip, take the prices off. People tend to home in on a price and then just avoid. If they have to ask, you can strike up a conversation. Once people know what's gone into a piece, they'll be more willing to part with money. Plus you can give them options. e.g you can do this clock in that wood with that detail, etc.

Well done though, I'd say you did very well.
Thanks Tom, that sounds like decent advice, there were some folks that scarpered once they seen the price.

Alternatively some peeps, like me, get irritated if there is no indication of price and will move on. Maybe a compromise might be to have a 'Prices From' guide?

or put the price on the bottom of the pieces so they have to handle it and absorb its tactile properties - more advice for turners than flat stuff tho

Latest posts

Back